Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Upset about giving birth...

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM
  • 38 Replies
So I took a tour of the birthing center I plan on giving birth at. I was talking to the lady about the place and I mentioned I had an emergency c-section with my first. Then she proceeded to tell me the odds of having another one is really great and I'll probably have another one! that makes me really upset! I want to give birth naturally and vaginaly! It really upset me that someone would say that. She was also a bit disgusted that I'm still breastfeeding my almost one yr old daughter. The Drs. are really nice. She was just a nurse who helped in the nursery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Is this a freestanding birthing center or a hospital "birthing center"?

How far along are you?  It might be a good idea to consider changing providers if you really want to have a natural vbac.

babymaker101
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM

dont let her discourage you. life is full of "what if's". and sure there is a POSSIBILITY but most of life is mind over matter. im on baby number four and have decided on a home birth. just me my husband and our other 3 babies. what was the cause for the emergency c-section? and its not disgusting you are still breastfeeding..heck i would still be but my breastfeeding actually stopped me from getting pregnant and during a stressful month b.w me and my husband my supply got messed up and i ended up pregnant after. but im gona try to start breastfeeding him again as soon as this one gets here as long as he doesnt bite me ^_^ just dont give up hope.

Lyras_Mama29
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Hospital one. my ob is a great Dr. she even encourages me to breastfeed my daughter while pregnant. I'd switch but the other hospital in my area is worse. and I don't think my insurance will cover a home birth. plus I'm almost 35 weeks. I've just been so set on a VBAC. Made a birth plan and everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM

What kind of birth center is this? Attached to a hospital I am assuming? If so that's not really a birth center and you should look for a detached one with midwives..

I can't believe people would say that!!! UGH

Lyras_Mama29
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM
My heart rate started dropping and my daughters was rising. my mom thinks it's cause she got stuck. i don't know if that's true. i don't remember feeling my hips move.

Quoting babymaker101:

dont let her discourage you. life is full of "what if's". and sure there is a POSSIBILITY but most of life is mind over matter. im on baby number four and have decided on a home birth. just me my husband and our other 3 babies. what was the cause for the emergency c-section? and its not disgusting you are still breastfeeding..heck i would still be but my breastfeeding actually stopped me from getting pregnant and during a stressful month b.w me and my husband my supply got messed up and i ended up pregnant after. but im gona try to start breastfeeding him again as soon as this one gets here as long as he doesnt bite me ^_^ just dont give up hope.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babymaker101
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

have u ever watched the secret garden? the little boy was determined he had a lump in his back and everyone else thought and made him feel sick all the time when in reality he was fine? im almost 39 weeks pregnant. havent seen a dr since 32. i know theres possibilities of things going wrong having an unassisted home birth but i actually feel more confident in this than i did with my other 3 hospital births. im getting to do it on my own terms. i can lay in my bed. i can get in the tub. i can stand on my head if i want to. and that gives me more strength and courage than i ever have had in my life. but my point is with a positive attitude and confidence its amazing how your outlook can change. the biggest thing you have overcome is that fact that you STILL WANT TO TRY to have a vbac. so many women are scared to even TRY cuz their drs have scared them sh*tless with statistics.

Lyras_Mama29
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM
I don't think i could have an unassisted home birth. i would love a home birth but i am a bit sacred. the closest midwife is an hr away. and I don't think i could afford it. i just feel so discouraged now! i will still try for one. I'm pretty sure i can have one. it just makes me really upset thinking about having another c section.

Quoting babymaker101:

have u ever watched the secret garden? the little boy was determined he had a lump in his back and everyone else thought and made him feel sick all the time when in reality he was fine? im almost 39 weeks pregnant. havent seen a dr since 32. i know theres possibilities of things going wrong having an unassisted home birth but i actually feel more confident in this than i did with my other 3 hospital births. im getting to do it on my own terms. i can lay in my bed. i can get in the tub. i can stand on my head if i want to. and that gives me more strength and courage than i ever have had in my life. but my point is with a positive attitude and confidence its amazing how your outlook can change. the biggest thing you have overcome is that fact that you STILL WANT TO TRY to have a vbac. so many women are scared to even TRY cuz their drs have scared them sh*tless with statistics.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I'd like to make one clarification :)  You are not trying to have a vbac; barring emergency circumstances you ARE having a vbac. 

If you are not comfortable/able to switch providers or birth locations, I recommend going into the hospital VERY far into your labor when you are ready to push so that it is too late to have a c-section. That also makes a lot of your birth plan a non-issue.

If you don't want to go that late, remember that you can refuse anything.  You do not HAVE to do anything they want you to do.  Don't get an IV, do NOT stay in bed, refuse constant monitoring, do not get frequent vaginal exams, eat and drink as you want.  Maybe consider hiring a doula.

Hope all goes as you want!  :)

Quoting Lyras_Mama29:

Hospital one. my ob is a great Dr. she even encourages me to breastfeed my daughter while pregnant. I'd switch but the other hospital in my area is worse. and I don't think my insurance will cover a home birth. plus I'm almost 35 weeks. I've just been so set on a VBAC. Made a birth plan and everything.

babymaker101
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:32 PM

im sorry i should have worded that differently. even if you have your baby at a birth center or a hospital, i think its amazing and it takes a lot of courage to want to at least try to have a natural vaginal birth after a c-section. i didnt even know i had the option to have a baby at home. with or without a midwife until i joined this group. i wanted a water birth sooooooo bad with my first child and although the hospital in the next county would let you LABOR in the tub you couldnt have your baby in it. and the hospital by where i lived didnt even have that option. although my situation is quite different than yours what im trying to say is that you have options. you have choices. dont let some closeminded nurse or whatever bring you down. sometimes my mind goes faster than i type so things kinda get jumbled *i sorries* ^_^

babymaker101
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I'd like to make one clarification :)  You are not trying to have a vbac; barring emergency circumstances you ARE having a vbac. 

* you are absolutely right. ^_^ i get so excited about giving words of encouragement my mind goes faster than i type. it was an emergency not an elective one.*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)