Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appointment went better than I thought

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM
  • 3 Replies
I went to see my backup Dr for the second time today. I was pretty worried or nervous about it because of the first visit.

If you don't know already... I'm having a home birth with a midwife but she requires me to see a backup Dr in the case of having to transfer to the hospital. It protects us both. I only have to see him around 3 times. There are two Drs in the practice and they are supposed to be very natural birth/ vbac friendly. The Dr I'm seeing was available first for an appointment so I took it. But he's actually new to the practice, which I didn't know! The Dr whose practice it is is much better from what I've heard. My Dr just got out of residency a year ago and has seen lots of "high risk" births. Basically he just got out of being taught all about how bad it can be and trained in how to react etc. He's not exactly as natural birth friendly as I would like.

Anyways, my first visit he's asking me why I want a home birth etc. They are the only Drs in town who will touch home birth clients. So yes they are supportive but they are still Drs lol. Then he starts asking me if I go past my due date...42 weeks... If I was be willing to go to the hospital to be induced. I was shocked as its not good to be induced for a vbac. He did mention more natural methods than induction drugs but still. Then he's asking me to come up with an answer. He was very pushy about it.... Intense. It bugged me. I was already nervous about this visit. I had no idea what to expect at the appointment. Its surreal enough to be discussing a home birth with nurses and Drs!! So I was totally caught off guard. Plus I was pretty pissed that he was telling me horror stories about vbacs and gave me inaccurate risks associated with a vbac after 2 c sections. He told me about one woman whose uterus blew out at the top completely.... Ummm really? Thats incredibly rare and he knows it. It just irritated me completely that he even brought up horror stories. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't know the risks... Not the Drs version of them but the real ones.

Today, I went in all worried about it. I had emailed my midwife but she was at a birth and didn't get back to me....I kind of waited late anyways lol. But he didn't even remember... Go figure. All that worrying for nothing. But I wasn't going to commit to something that I absolutely would not wasn't to do unless medically necessary. I mean why would I need to worry about that? His point of view is be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.... Ugh. He said he wanted me to plan now so it didn't have to be decided when I'm all hormonal... Yeah nice. Seriously... He's a piece of work.

I just went in and did my strep b test and he tried bringing up risks again then realized we already did that so he shut up. And that was it! I was relieved. Because yes its nice to have a backup who wont freak out if you have to transfer but at the same time I'm so over Drs and don't want to deal with their crap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:26 AM

hugs 

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM

HUGS

Mama2lilGarrett
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)