Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Makeover Day 14: Relieve Allergies Naturally!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM
  • 60 Replies

It’s less than two weeks till it’s officially fall, and for many of our kids, that means it’s allergy season.

Your activity for September 14 is: Learn to Relieve Your Kids' Allergies Naturally!

Your pediatrician will likely prescribe medication if your child is a seasonal allergy sufferer, but if you’d like to try the natural route first, there’s a lot you can do to limit  your child’s allergen exposure. Try some of these ideas, courtesy of the Sears family’s “The Portable Pediatrician,” to eliminate allergens and dust mites from your home:

-Track outdoor pollen counts (http://www.pollen.com/allergy-weather-forecast.asp) and keep your kid indoors on the most problematic days

-Purchase a portable HEPA air filter to remove pollen, mold, and other allergens from the air in your home

-Always do bathtime before bed (instead of in the morning) to remove any pollen from your kid’s body or hair before he goes to sleep

-Vacuum the mattresses in your house every two weeks

-Catch dust that filters through the vents in your bedrooms by placing cheesecloth over them while using air conditioning or heating

-Use rugs instead of carpet in your kid’s bedroom to prevent dust from accumulating in the carpeting

Do you do anything else to naturally prevent allergy attacks? Tell us in the replies below!

Yesterday's gentle discipline activity sparked some interesting discussion!  Be sure to weigh in!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenniferlee_12
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Those are great ideas. I need to vacuum and wash the blinds and curtains.

Curllyq
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

you have to wait until they are a little older, but the neti pot is GREAT for allergies!!

MissElissa21
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM
I vacuum regularly and dust while the kids are away. I need to check the pollen couns more oten for myself too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MargauxG
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Luckily my kids rarly have problems with allergies! Hubby on the other hand... But he works outside so theres no avoiding it...but he showers as soon as he gets home

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM

we do some of those but not all those are great tips!

mypbandj
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Thank you for those ideas, esp the outdoor pollen count link! That will be very handy.

DH swears that my LO has allergies - b/c he has allergies. But since I don't have them, I can't tell the difference between when the baby just has a cold or if it could be allergies. I also can't use DH as a gage b/c he's constantly bothered by some allergin.

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

My oldest has eye allergies, seem to be from bug sprays like from exterminators.  It may be safe for babies and pets but NOT my son, if he gets around where it has been sprayed even years later his eyes puff all up he even got a blister in his eye.  SO whenever we move itno a new home or he goes to visit people i have to tell him to stay away from the edges of the room..usually that is where the chemicals are sprayed

meam4444
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM

We use matress protectors on all the beds, and we have a house air purifier.

othermom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Thankfully my kids don't have allergies, but I do so I might try a few of these for me.

tuffymama
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I have terrible seasonal allergies, and molds make me sick. The kids and I each have a small daily dose of local raw, unfiltered honey to stave off pollen allergies, and I'm a clean freak, so dust doesn't have much of a chance to settle. We are renting right now, so we're stuck with carpet, but we bought a powerful vacuum cleaner specifically to handle the pet hair. We use a filter machine in the dogs' room, and we use the $$ Hepa filters in the HVAC. LO always has a bath when he comes in from playing outside (he gets REALLY dirty), we have the mattresses and pillows encased in dustmite-resistant covers, and the sheets are changed frequently. Slipcovers on the soft furnsihings are swapped out frequently, and the furniture is vacuumed every time the covers are changed. I vacuum the baseboards, ceiling fans, air vents and crown molding weekly. We use our fireplace maybe two or three times all season, and DP vacuums it out and cleans it every time.

My next task: source allergen-killing lightbulbs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)