Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I prepare myself?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM
  • 18 Replies

I'm 18 and this is my first baby. I am 20 weeks 1 day today and my due date is January 31st.

I really want to do a natural birth, no epidural or anything. Everyone in my family is telling me I won't be able to do it, and I watched birth stories and it seems like its SO much pain its starting to freak me out. I'm deathly afraid of needles and I just know I can't do an epidural, plus it can slow down the babies heartrate and give a bigger chance for a c-section, which I DON'T want.

how can I start preparing myself for a natural birth? I heard yoga helps.. what kind of yoga moves help?

I can't afford taking any yoga classes or birthing classes right now. I want to know any and all tips that can help me have a less painful natural birth.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM

there is a post on here somewhere about natural birth books. prolly reading those and making sure you have someone who supports your decision to go natural in the delivery room with you are your best bets. you can do this! hopefully this link works for you.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/14077/forums/read/14872096/Parenting_Makeover_Day_5_Promote_Natural_Birth

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Try getting some pre-natal yoga videos you can at home. I've seen them at half price books. I'd also encourage you to get some natural birthing books, you also get them at half price books. My favorites are The Bradley Method and Hypnobabies. Lastly, if are having a hospital birth and your family is not supportive of a natural birth, I highly, highly encourage you to get a doula. Sometimes you can get a doula in training for very little or no money at all. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Sorry for the typos, I'm on mobile...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormystar15
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Not all births are like the ones you see on tv or hear about. every birth is different. i dont have any books or anything like that to prepare you to get ready for the delivery but when you do go into labor it is best to be calm and relaxed. there is a group on here called BIRTH IS NORMAL and there are some great birth stories on there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Stay in shape in general too, not just yoga. Being active your whole pregnancy greatly helpes. Educate yourself on why a natural birth is better, a "fear of needles" is not enough to keep you natural. The needle phobes are usually the first to cave :-P
But what these guys say, educate yourself and find someone to be with you that supports your goal. I would take it one further and say keep anyone that its negative about it out! There's no law saying child birth had to be a family event.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
airadan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Educate yourself as much a you can on normal birth smrt its functions. Knowledge eliminates your fears, and makes for a much less painful birth. Look at how you cope with pain and practice! Look into meditation techniques, and find at lest one person who is supportive of your desires.

I can tell you from experience, birth can be painful, but it will never be more than you can handle. Just when you think you've reached your limit you will be pushing (or near to that point) and all the pain melts away when your baby is in your arms. Dont let people scare you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
airadan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM
*normal birth and its functions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
riotgrrl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The more you can relax during labor, the less painful it is. The best thing you can do during each contraction is just relax all of your muscles and let the contraction roll over you like a wave. Take them one at a time and rest in between. I've had 4 babies and found most of it to be uncomfortable but only the last bit of transition labor to be actually painful. Once it really starts to hurt you're almost there, just remind yourself during each contraction that it is almost over.

Read up on a lot of different childbirth methods. Practice using the techniques that resonate with you. You want to practice them because you don't want it to be something  new you are struggling to remember or master during labor, but something you are familiar with. Practice more than one method because it is hard to tell beforehand what is actually going to work for you during labor, or it may even be different things in different parts of labor.  

tabitha8501
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM
I'm a ftm to be but I really enjoyed "natural childbirth the bradley way" by Susan mccutcheon. It gives u exercises to do to help with delivery. Im due Oct 30 and will be trying it with no med.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah4gandh
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM

i would say save your money and take some classes. you cant afford not to take them. my husband and I took bradley classes and they were amazing. there is no way I could have had my dd naturally without being prepared extensively. you can do it, but you have to prepare yourself. the best investment you can make right now is to make sure you are prepared for your babys birth- with classes from someone other than the hospital. i mean lenghty classes, not just one or two.

you could always ask your mom or someone else your close with that you want natural birth classes to be paid for as your baby shower gift. i know when I was pregnant family members always asked us what we wanted for the baby. you could always ask for that from your family or close friends.

and its not that i think you cant do it without classes, bc obviously women for thousands of years have done it without classes to prepare them, but you need to be educated so that when your in the hospital, the staff doesnt pressure you into doing thing that arent natural or necessary. and you need to know how to cope with the intensity of labor so you dont freak out and think you cant do it and break down and ask for meds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)