Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any idea what this could be?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

My son woke up this morning with a small rash on the bottom of his tummy. Then an hour later I went to change him again and get him dressed for the day, and it's spread all over his tummy, chest, and back. It doesn't seem to bother him, and he's not really overly fussy. I'd take a picture but you can't see it because it's so small. It looks like tiny little red pin pricks all over him. My daughter and I have eczema, and that's what I thought it was at first. But I've never seen eczema spread so quickly. We haven't changed laundry soaps or bath soaps (though he normally just gets a water bath since he's only 3 months), and the only moisterizer I put on him is coconut oil. I'm waiting for the nurse to call me back, but I thought I'd ask you ladies:)

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sunshinemama512
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Has he had a high fever recently? It could be roseola. 

_muffin_
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Quoting sunshinemama512:

Has he had a high fever recently? It could be roseola. 

That was my thought. If its not ichy or bothering him I wouldn't worry too much. 

Yuriko_chan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Nope, no fever. And it doesn't seem to be bothering him. 

JoJoBean8
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM

What's the rash look like? If it's not bothering him then I wouldn't really worry about it.

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM

heat rash maybe? i used to get it really bad as a kid in that area. still shows up on my chest when i'm pregnant too. it's not harmful, just a reaction. 

Yuriko_chan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I don't think it's fifth's, and I did look at the above sites; thank you! It's now not on his back, but all over his hips, thighs, and bum. It's raised and looks like little pin pricks. I'm not that worried about it because honestly I think it's eczema. But I've never seen that change so quickly. None the less, what the heck am I eating for him to have eczema?!

Juniper53098
by June - admin on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM

There are some minor viruses whose only symptoms are a rash as you describe.  Last year, Megyn has it and passed it around my daycare.  I took her to the dr and he said it was just minor virus, which may spread to the others, but is completely harmless.

Yuriko_chan
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Yep, just some viral rash... It's totally gone now though!!

Quoting Juniper53098:

There are some minor viruses whose only symptoms are a rash as you describe.  Last year, Megyn has it and passed it around my daycare.  I took her to the dr and he said it was just minor virus, which may spread to the others, but is completely harmless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)