• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breech Fears - Please Help

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM
  • 44 Replies

My husband and I recently made the decision to do an all-natural birth with midwifes (there is a midwife center connected to the hospital we had been seeing an OB throgh, so the switch was quick and easy.) Today was my last appointment with my OB before switching to the midwifery center, and it was confirmed my baby is still breech. I am 28 1/2 weeks.

The doctor assured me there is still plenty of time (and room) for the baby to turn on his/her own, and there are techniques they can use to turn him/her if the baby still hasn't turned by 36 weeks. However, I asked if they or the midwives would still let me deliver vaginally if the baby was still breech at 37 weeks, and she said 'no, the risk is too high to mom and baby.' The option at that point would be c-seciton.

This TERRIFIES me. I just committed 100% to an all-natural childbrith, so a c-section is about as far away from that as you can get. I felt lighted headed, nauseous, and was seeing spots afer the appointment and had to sit down several times on the way to my car. I am totally overwhelmed now and scared. 

Does anyone have advice on how to coax a baby into turning on his/her own, naturally and safely? Did anyone else experience this?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytotwonow
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM

spinningbabies.com!!!!! and you have time lots of it!!!! 

riotgrrl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Don't start stressing now. A baby isn't even actually considered breech until 36 weeks so I don't know why they even put this out there and scared you this way. Most babies still aren't engaged head down yet before 30 weeks.

Check out the website Spinning Babies http://spinningbabies.com/ . My youngest was still heads up towards the end of the last trimester. We used the stair inversion method and he turned on the third time. Helpful hint if you do use stair inversion, I started out on hands and knees at the bottom of the stairs and 'walked' my knees backwards up 3 stairs. This was after a couple very unbalanced attempts to start of kneeling a couple steps up and try to figure out how to get my hands down to the bottom of the stairs without tipping over on my belly.

_muffin_
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Like the others said there is no reason to worry about that yet. The baby will probobly flip many, Many times before you hit full term. 

NDFanatik
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM

At this point, breech is very normal and baby has PLENTY of time to turn before labor. 

Do you have a copy of "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth?"  Goer lists a lot of good tips in there on how to turn a breech baby when you are closer to term. 

Get a birth/exercise ball and start sitting on it.  It encourages a good position and also helps with your back and hips.   

You can also find a chiropractor who knows teh Webster technique and try that...  But again- Baby is in a normal position for this gestation, so right now there is NO need to worry at all. 

Ask your MW's what thier specific "rules" are.  Since it is connected to a hospital, I am assuming that the birth center is regulated by hospital rules and poilicies.  If baby is breech at term, are you comfortable turning down a scheduled CS and waiting until you go into labor (or even laboring until 9/10cm) before deciding on whether or not to consent to a CS?  That's personally what I would do. 

One-n-Counting
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Don't worry about it until you have to. Have you been going to a chiropractor? My chiropractor has an option to come to your place of birth during labor and help turn baby if need be.

doulala
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM

There are plenty of things you can do~    but in time.
Priority is to hire a care provider that saves big interventions/big risks (like a cesarean) for a true need.

You might like to consider interviewing for another kind of care provider.
Using the medical-model for normal (and variations of normal) increase your risks.

"If you don't know your options you don't have any"          ~Korte & Scaer

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."    
           ~Rush

Curllyq
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM

1) They can't MAKE you get a c-section.  Arm yourself with the facts about the safety of breech vaginal birth.

2) You have until 36 weeks before you even need to worry about it.  Babies turn all the time.

3) go to spinningbabies.com

4) Find out if any chiropractors in the area to the "Webster Technique" and if any acupuncturists or acupressurists do moxibustion for breech.  They are both more effective and less risky than external version.

5) If all else fails, and if you decide that breech vaginal birth scares you more than surgery for whatever reason, then tell them that you WILL NOT schedule the section. Babies can even turn in labor, so if you give your baby all the time to turn, and you wait until you naturally go into labor assuring that the baby is as ready as possible, then you'll know that you did everything possible to have a natural birth (except actually have a natural breech birth anyhow).

I'm leery of midwives who work in hospitals, they tend to be MED-wives and approach birth with the same management requirements that OBs do :(  The fact that they are telling you that breech birth isn't safe is a BIG turn off from any midwife who should have been taught it's just another form of "normal birth".

Good Luck!  It's certainly not worth worrying about at this point!  Babies turn all the time :)

Curllyq
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM

because it's their job to prepare you for the worst so that you don't put up a fight if it comes to it?

Quoting riotgrrl:

Don't start stressing now. A baby isn't even actually considered breech until 36 weeks so I don't know why they even put this out there and scared you this way. Most babies still aren't engaged head down yet before 30 weeks.

Check out the website Spinning Babies http://spinningbabies.com/ . My youngest was still heads up towards the end of the last trimester. We used the stair inversion method and he turned on the third time. Helpful hint if you do use stair inversion, I started out on hands and knees at the bottom of the stairs and 'walked' my knees backwards up 3 stairs. This was after a couple very unbalanced attempts to start of kneeling a couple steps up and try to figure out how to get my hands down to the bottom of the stairs without tipping over on my belly.

"Female AND male circumcision are brutal, anachronistic, blood rituals that no longer have a place in civilized society." ~Marilyn Fayre Milos
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Curllyq
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

that's what I would do too.  well, I'd plan a homebirth...but IF I weren't having a homebirth, I'd labor at home until I was close, then I'd walk in and tell them I think I'm in labor and about ready to push.  they can't legally strap you to an OR table :P

Quoting NDFanatik:

<snip>

Ask your MW's what thier specific "rules" are.  Since it is connected to a hospital, I am assuming that the birth center is regulated by hospital rules and poilicies.  If baby is breech at term, are you comfortable turning down a scheduled CS and waiting until you go into labor (or even laboring until 9/10cm) before deciding on whether or not to consent to a CS?  That's personally what I would do. 

"Female AND male circumcision are brutal, anachronistic, blood rituals that no longer have a place in civilized society." ~Marilyn Fayre Milos
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
RunninMa
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Thank you! i will check that out PRONTO! :)

Quoting mommytotwonow:

spinningbabies.com!!!!! and you have time lots of it!!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)