Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

finally doing what feels right-- UPDATE

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

ok so im a first time mom and since before my dd was born I always asked for advice on what to do with/for her from others like my mom or from books or from other moms. well, it just so happened that most f those people/books that I asked advice from were not into AP. Well, I really didnt know that I was an AP until recently. I always felt wrong about doing things according to books and I felt like all the advice from others ust steered my in the wrong direction. even advice from her pediatrician ust didnt seem to "fit" with us. Well, finally Im doing things that feel right to us and Im not looking back! Im not going to adjust the way we do things anymore just because its not "normal". for example, she nurses like all the time. and by that i mean before and after and sometimes during her naps which ends p being about every 2 hours sometimes 1 1/2. and shes nursing 2-4 times a night. well all those lame books say that 4 month olds "shouldn't" nurse that much. also, she sleeps with me during her naps and sometimes at night. also, a "no-no." im convinced that the mainstream american way of caring for infants is wrong. not like morally, but just incorrect. mainstream american parents are missing it. missing the closeness, missing the needs of their babies. and I almost missed it. all because I thought we were not doing things "right."

im going to nurse on demand, nurse to sleep, cosleep, and everything else that my dd needs without comparing us to "them." Im so glad that i realized that I was getting sucked into thinking that what she/we need/do was wrong. its not wrong. its right. because its what she needs. its what i need.

Update:

Ok, I am so thankful for all your encouragement! Seriously! You guys are so awesome! I am so glad/refreshed to hear all that you replied!

We just had her 4 month checkup and her pedi was all into explaining to us why we should CIO. And i was just blunt and honest with him. I told him that we were not willing to CIO. It was a little funny to see him thrown off by our reply. I didnt laugh till I got into my car though. lol Just wanted to tell you guys bc it was the first time I was able to say (without hesitation/timidity) how I wanted to do things for her to her pedi. It felt great to have some confidence and be able to tell him that I apprecaite his advice, but it wont be something that we will be using. I told him why-- that it's literally unhealthy mentally, physically, and emotionally for a baby to CIO. His response was pretty much to belittle me and my husband. We are probably going to find another pedi bc of the belittling, not bc of the difference of opinion. I think its healthy to have differeing opinions in your life, but not belittling. that was pretty lame. On a great not though, she is 14 lbs 1 oz and 26 inches long! Go boob milk! haha!

Just wanted to update you and tell you how much your encouragement means to me and how much it helps me develop confidence in my instincts/intuition! And my DD says thanks too! :)

anybody else feel this way? if we look at the rest of the world, mst places/ cultures practice AP. what happened in America?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June - admin on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM

AWESOME, mama!!!  Your LO is very blessed to have you for a mama =)

Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM

That's awesome!  I really believe "mommy instinct" trumps everything else! :)

From what I have researched it seems like a lot of these changes were actually the ironic result of the feminist movement... women wanted to be free from the pain of childbirth and ended up in the hospital "delivering" with twilight sleep and forceps under the care of doctors and being told that their breastmilk was uncecessary and insufficient.... and things went from there.

Follow my natural mama blog, http://instinctivemothering.com/!

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM

TOTALLY feeling you here!! I 100% agree

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM

yep! i was lost and not at all ready to be a mom when i got pregnant. so i just went by what i thought was the conventional knowledge. not the right way to parent. every kid is different and so is every parent. my mommy instinct now always trumps what other ppl think! Go You!!! be prepared for some fights!

Sarah725
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, so glad your here.

JazzysWifey
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 2:46 PM
I feel like standing up and applauding you, LOL!!!! Welcome to the group ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ibebreezy
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM

first rule of parenting is every child is different and the same things don't work for all. that's why we have instincts about how to parent our child. i currently have 2 children (till nov) that i parent very differently. why? cause they're different people. it's not mainstream, ap, or bn. it's jack parenting and lily parenting:)

do it your way mama! and congrats on figureing this out only 4mo into your first. you're a smart cookie.

blg5484
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I agree with you I have always done what I feel is right for DD and our family I do read books and listen to what others say but i dont let it sway me and what we do. DD is 14 months and still BF I will tanden when DS gets here we co sleep and I love it

peaches_04
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM
awesome momma! :)
Welcome to the group
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM
Go girl! You've got it right ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)