• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you tore with one baby but not the next baby?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM
  • 28 Replies

What did you do differently the next time that prevented tearing??  Did you do prenatal preparation?  Did you push differently?  Did you birth in a different place under different circumstances?  Did you do anything to soften the scar tissue from your previous tear?  

I have been debating on if I need to rub oil on the scar from my last birth or not.  I am not a fan of rubbing that area and don't know if it is worth the creepy factor to do it or not?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
organicyogalove
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM
What do you mean creepy factor? Part of preparing for birth is perineum massage so I don't see how rubbing oil on a scar would be different
truealaskanmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Quoting organicyogalove:

What do you mean creepy factor? Part of preparing for birth is perineum massage so I don't see how rubbing oil on a scar would be different

I cannot stand perineal massage it feels really creepy to me and I don't like it at all.  I don't like when I do it or DH it is weird and hard to explain.  I know a lot of people don't do it and don't tear.  

VintageWife
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I understand what you mean by creepy. For some people, they don't want to be touched there either by their own hands or anyone else's. Just the same as not wanting your breasts, feet, armpits, etc to be touched because of how it makes you feel.

Anyway, I really can't help you on this one. I tore with all 3, but it got less with each one. Here's hoping the next doesn't tear me at all. LOL

organicyogalove
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Quoting truealaskanmom:

true, I feel if you don't plan on having coached pushing your risk for tearing greatly decreases. Our body will get baby out no need to push unless your body tells you to. I think youl be fine skipping it, especially if the scar is fully healed.
larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM
My 1st the doctor did a standard episiotomy without even telling me, it hurt worse than the labor! (the only unnatural part of that delivery), 2nd the doctor massaged oil as I was pushing and only a teeny tear, 3rd nothing was done, baby came faster than doctor could get there, no tearing whatsoever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
five_so_far
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM
Lol i understand.... It hurts for me... Doc did it with my first and finally I snapped and said if he didnt stop Im gonna kick him in his head.... Guess im kind of a bitch in labor lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
All different docs, different hospitals, and the only common was me doing nothing to prepare ahead of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momsthename0609
I did kegal exercises and I never tore with any of my boys. I thought for sure I tore with my 3rd because he was 10.14 but nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:52 PM
I think statistically mothers tend to tear less with their subsequent births. Definitely avoid coached pushing and delivery on your back. You might also look into hypnobirthing in which you breathe the baby down, rather than pushing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I tore with both, but not as badly the 2nd time. The nurse was actually trying to help me slow him down when he was coming out because the Dr wasn't there yet, so she had me do some special breathing to keep him in lol. It didn't end up working, the nurse delivered the baby anyway! 

Next time, I'm going midwife/homebirth, so I'm thinking I can do some oil or something. I would love to not tear this time, but I think it really just depends on your body.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)