Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pregnant While Breastfeeding

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM
  • 23 Replies

How many of you got pregnant while breastfeeding? How long were you breastfeeding before you started ovulating again? I want to breastfeed as long as possible, but DH and I want our kids to be close in age. Just wondering how easy/difficult it is going to be to make that happen.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM

It totally depends on you. I don't usually get pg while breastfeeding, but that isn't really typical I don't think. The times I did (twice) my milk dried up by about 12 wks.

Habibti812
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM
I got pregnant with number three while nursing number two when number two was one... Did NOT get a period.. "caught thr first egg" .. Got pregnant with number four while still nursing numbers two and three when number three was 15 months. NO period. "caught the first egg"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Habibti812
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Oh and Im currently 32+weeks pregnant and still nursing my third with no issues. My milk has changed over but she isnt going to wean. Ill be tandeming again soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I got my period back 2.5 months pp. I got pregnant when my son was 10 months old and was still exclusively breastfed. He barely ate any solids then.... Maybe some small pieces of food he could feed himself. I nursed all of the way through my pregnancy and am tandem nursing my 20 month old and 5 week old. I was not taking birth control or tracking. I was also not trying to get pregnant despite the previous statement lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nihhusa
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM
It depends on your body. My ds is 8 months will be 9 on the 21st and we've been actively trying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhiannian
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I did, my son was 6 months. I had been charting since he was about 3 months and I knew when I could successfully try again. 

Although I got my af back at 6weeks pp, so I'm sure I started ovulating not too long after that.

dhiannian
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM

This is completely true, some people cannot get pregnant while bfeeding, I know a few. They will ovulate but keep having short LPs that cannot sustain a pregnancy. This is why charting would be helpful for you.

Quoting joyful_mama:

It totally depends on you. I don't usually get pg while breastfeeding, but that isn't really typical I don't think. The times I did (twice) my milk dried up by about 12 wks.

_muffin_
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM
I got pregnant with my second while breastfeeding (First was 10 months old when I conceived) and still hadn't gotten my cycle. My current pregnancy was conceived while breastfeeding ( I think my secon was 18 months at the time). I had a little spotting the previous month but not sure of it was my period or not.

I really think it depends on you and your fertility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_muffin_
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I forgot to mention my second and third were conceived with less effort while breastfeeding than my first pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ACsLady
by Member on Nov. 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Both my second and third (current pregnancy) babies were conceived while I was nursing. My cycle has started to get back on track right about the time we've introduced solids. A friend of mine says that as soon as she starts slowing down night nursing her periods come back. I think that may also be a factor for me because of when my girls started sleeping for long stretches at night.

I got pregnant with my second at 4.5 months postpartum. My oldest was about 4 months at Thanksgiving, so we gave her some mashed potatoes just to see what she'd do. Never again. She didn't care for them (still doesn't, though she likes other kinds of potatoes) and next thing I know I'm pregnant. Never got a period back, so I conceived that first ovulation. She also slept through the night (a solid 8 hours or more) by 2 months. We didn't train her to do it or anything, but I let her sleep. So she wasn't really nursing at night for very long.

With my second, I made sure to wait longer for solids - until she was showing a definite interest and wouldn't allow us to ignore it. I forget when exactly we introduced her to them, but it was somewhere between 6 and 8 months. Even then, it wasn't anything consistent for a little while. She didn't sleep through the night as early as our oldest, so I nursed her a couple times a night for a longer period of time. I tried to keep her in bed with us for a longer time too, but she eventually just got way too squirmy and fussy, so we kept her in the cradle in our room more often. After some time of that, she started sleeping longer and we moved her in with her sister. She was 8 months old when I conceived this baby. The month prior, I thought I was pregnant, but it was just my body getting ready to ovulate. Again, no period, but at least I had signs that my cycle was coming back.

I charted that last month before getting pregnant this time and plan to chart my cycle again after this baby. I am also going to strive for a year of strictly nursing before giving any solids and we'll be setting up our crib sidecar style so we can co-sleep and night nurse longer. I'm hoping the set up will make things easier on all of us. My hubby and I aren't ones to use any form of birth control or even NFP, but my body desperately needs a break from being pregnant. So I'm hoping these small changes will make life easier all around and give me the time to rest and heal that I need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)