Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

5 Foods That Make Your Menstrual Cycle Regular

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM
  • 18 Replies

http://theadventurouswriter.com/blogbaby/5-foods-that-make-your-menstrual-cycle-regular/

how to get regular periods

What Are the Best Foods to Regulate Your Menstrual Cycle?

Yes, certain foods can make your menstrual cycle regular! If you struggle with irregular periods or amenorrhea (no periods at all), don’t skip these tips.

“When estrogen is high during their cycle, women are more at ease with themselves,” writes Rebecca Booth in The Venus Week. “They are more confident performing tasks and accomplishing goals and more socially agile and bale to articulate themselves more fully and clearly.”

But, if your period is irregular or nonexistent, you won’t benefit from the effects of high estrogen. The point of highest estrogen is your pre-ovulatory stage.

If you’re on a 28 day cycle, ovulation occurs from days 12-16 (though it varies, depending on your stress level, the foods you eat, the exercise you’re doing, etc). This means that pre-ovulation occurs on about days 8-11 (but again, it varies from woman to woman).

For more facts about your period – and how amazing it is! – read The Venus Week: Discover the Powerful Secret of Your Cycle…at Any Age by Rebecca Booth, MD.

And, here are five foods to that can help you get regular periods…

Your first step in regulating your periods is figuring out what’s causing an irregular menstrual cycle. Once you determine the cause, you’ll be better able to find an effective treatment. Read 6 Things That Cause Irregular Periods.

Omega-3 fatty acids – salmon, sardines, etc

The blood vessels in your ovaries are tiny, which makes them vulnerable to damage and poor circulation. Smoking, obesity, and high cholesterol can negatively affect your ovarian blood vessels, which blocks hormones and blood flow. Fish oils enhance blood circulation, reduce damage from free radicals, fight the effects of aging, and increase dopamine (which improves your mood!).

Dr Booth recommends adding a fish oil supplement to your diet, instead of eating a high fish diet (because of the mercury in some tuna, swordfish, mackerel, etc).

Non-white foods

Most natural foods are not white, so you can assume that if a food is white, it is probably processed to the point of being unhealthy! To make your menstrual cycle regular, avoid white flour, sugar, white potatoes, white bread, white pasta, and white rice. They disrupt your menstrual cycle by creating insulin surges that result in fat storage. This excess fat storage negatively affects ovulation and your periods – and can cause irregular periods.

Protein – cottage cheese, lean meats, nuts

“Finding sources of balanced protein can be a challenge for busy women, but it is a must for hormonal balance, writes Dr Booth in The Venus Week. The more you balance your hormones, the more regular your menstrual cycle will be. Plant proteins are especially good for enhancing fertility and hormonal balance: almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cheese, hard boiled eggs, soy chips, hummus, canned sardines, and edamame.

Vitamin D – perhaps take a supplement

This vitamin improves communication between your cells, which stabilizes your hormones. Vitamin D is also vital in cancer protection – especially breast, colon, ovarian, and prostate cancers. “Vitamin D is a little hard to come by in food,” writes Dr Booth. Eat vitamin D-fortified milk products, tuna, egg yolks, salmon, sardines, and (yuck) cod liver oil.

To increase your vitamin D and make your menstrual cycle regular, make sure you getting enough sunlight. Where you live and the color of your skin determines how much time you should spend in the sun, but my research tells me that the average North American should spend about 10 minutes in the sun about 2-3 times per week.

Dark chocolate!

“Chocolate contains flavenoids, which have estrogen-like activity and help improve circulation by reducing platelet clumping, writes Dr Booth in The Venus Week. Flavenoids also enhance microcirculation in the ovaries and endocrine glands, and increase dopamine (a “feel good” hormone).

Not just any old chocolate will do: eat dark chocolate that contains at least 70% cocoa solids.

by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM

to bad it wasnt white chocolate i hate dark chocolate:(

jedilynne
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM

thanks for posting this! 

Brandy85412
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:16 PM

no wonder my aren't regular I don't really care for any of those foods.  LOL  ugh trying to change my eating habits its hard!

peaches_04
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM
I know right!
I hate fish...eeew:(

Quoting Brandy85412:

no wonder my aren't regular I don't really care for any of those foods.  LOL  ugh trying to change my eating habits its hard!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I should try this.

thinkingmom2be
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Ha I love them all.  And everything on here was recommended by my natural fertility nutritionist :)  Except the chocolate that one is all me:)

H.I.S.
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 11:31 PM

BUMP!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Mmmm chocolate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dixiechic88
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM
BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 1:10 AM
So i guess I don't.have to feel guilty about those chocolate-covered walnuts and almonds I'm SO nuts about (pun intended). Woohoo!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)