Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Good sleeper gone bad :(

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello everyone! Well after an hour and a half of nursing, rocking, laying down, nursing, rocking, laying down..my LO is sleeping! Little info on us...my ds2 is 5 months EBF baby. He spends most of the night in bed next to me (we also have our 5 year old still in bed with us) but starts out in his co-sleeper. He use to sleep 6 hour stretches at a time, but lately he's only been sleeping a max of 3 hours. His napping is horrible :( he will only sleep for a max of 30 minutes 3 times a day! I have a hard time laying him down because he wakes up and can't settle back down during the day and at night time...I pick him up when he starts to fuss and starts all over again with the nursing and rocking. I would not have a problem with this is I was a SAHM, but im in Nursing school and really need all the time I can get to study while my LO is napping or at night when hes down for the night. This has been going on for 2 weeks now...about a week ago he had 2 teeth break through so I thought maybe it was that, but its still going on....I of course refuse CIO...if anyone has any advice for me and my sweet babe it would be much appreciated!

by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
peaches_04
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just sleep with baby on boob
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried a baby carrier. My son was in the moby wrap all the time when he was that age during the day because he slept best while he was close to me. He's now 7 mo and hates to be restricted when he's awake. Now I lay out a huge pallet on the floor with blankets, pillows, and toys to get homework done. Late nights are when some of my best work is done. The teething could still be bothering him, offer him teething rings or a cold wash cloth to chew on.

Itzgrl101
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Thanks ladies :)

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Try this and see if it helps....

Its called the 90 Minute Nap Solution. Its not some strict, rigid, schedule and its not really a solution. Its reading your childs cues. Try putting your LO down to nap every 90 minutes after they woke up from sleeping. So in the morning they wake up at 8am. Nap at 930am. They wake up at 11am... Nap at 1230pm etc etc. I would try stretching out the last nap and bedtime.... In between I mean. But this really helped me at this age. I didn't realize my son was overtired and not sleeping enough so when I tried to get him to sleep he wouldn't sleep well. Sleep begets sleep in babies. Good naps= good nighttime sleep. Lousy naps= lousy nighttime sleep.

It may help! Or it may be developmental. My son slept awful before doing some big new thing!

Also always read your childs cues. If they are tired before that don't feel you can't put them to sleep! Its not strict by any means
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Itzgrl101
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Thank you so much! This is great advice! I am going to try it this morning :) Yesterday for his first nap when I was rocking/nursing him it popped in my head that he wakes everyday I lay him down because hes not feeling secure...so I swalled him! I had to find a HUGE blanket because my 5 month old is 20lbs! and I wrapped him tight and he slept for almost 2 hours! Hopefully this was the answer to my issues and sure enough he slept so good he was ready for another nap about 2 hours later...which he got in the car because we were out...but thank you! I will report back soon :) :) :)

Quoting jconney80:

Its called the 90 Minute Nap Solution. Its not some strict, rigid, schedule and its not really a solution. Its reading your childs cues. Try putting your LO down to nap every 90 minutes after they woke up from sleeping. So in the morning they wake up at 8am. Nap at 930am. They wake up at 11am... Nap at 1230pm etc etc. I would try stretching out the last nap and bedtime.... In between I mean. But this really helped me at this age. I didn't realize my son was overtired and not sleeping enough so when I tried to get him to sleep he wouldn't sleep well. Sleep begets sleep in babies. Good naps= good nighttime sleep. Lousy naps= lousy nighttime sleep.

It may help! Or it may be developmental. My son slept awful before doing some big new thing!

Also always read your childs cues. If they are tired before that don't feel you can't put them to sleep! Its not strict by any means

jess227ny
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Quoting jconney80:

This usually worked for DS however I did it in 2 hour intervals. His nightime sleep was still kind of up in the air but he was an awesome napper. So, at least I could nap and/or get some stuff done during the day. 

EBF, non-vaxing, co-sleeping, taking everyday as it comes, trying to make healthier choices and loving being a SAH Mommy to our amazing son, Maximilian born 1.15.08.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I hope it works! Let me know!

And its totally about reading them. When I heard about this I started taking notice and sure enough my son started to get tired after 90 minutes. Some more be more or less. I put more time in between the last nap & bedtime.

Also when they get older the time will double between. My son is right on 3 hours now at 21 months. He only takes one nap but its 3 hours after he wakes up in the morning lol

Quoting Itzgrl101:

Thank you so much! This is great advice! I am going to try it this morning :) Yesterday for his first nap when I was rocking/nursing him it popped in my head that he wakes everyday I lay him down because hes not feeling secure...so I swalled him! I had to find a HUGE blanket because my 5 month old is 20lbs! and I wrapped him tight and he slept for almost 2 hours! Hopefully this was the answer to my issues and sure enough he slept so good he was ready for another nap about 2 hours later...which he got in the car because we were out...but thank you! I will report back soon :) :) :)

Quoting jconney80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN