Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doula Question

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

What are the benefits of both - being certified and not being certified. I am really torn. I can get my certification through BAI with their scholarship (approved for it). However, hubby and I don't quite understand the "benefits" of the certification. It's not accredited. Is it just having a certificate saying you were "trained"? DH is kind of iffy about forking out the money if I don't need it. HOWEVER, I have found it's VERY hard to find a doula willing to let me shadow her if I am not going through (or already finished) the training courses.

Also, IF I was to get certified, I would want a more holistic course. That is why I was looking at BAI. DONA seems to be a more "medical minded" approach. Are there any courses recommended over others?

Do you feel it is better to be certified as a doula, or work uncertified?  I am possibly going to be shadowing a local doula, but am wondering if I should get certified as well. 

If you were hiring a doula, would it matter if she was certified or not? I am really torn as to if I want to get certified or not as a doula. For those who have hired a doula, did you even ask if they were certified?

Homeschooling, Unassisted Home Birthing, Circumcising On The 8th Day, Non-Vaccinating, Cloth Diapering, Fundamentalist Mormon Mother Of 7 Wonderful Children.

Follow my blog at "Our Birth Journeys".

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

for me it doesnt matter if they are certified. Im most likely going to at least get the training thru CBI but i dont know if i want to certify however the only other doula in my town is certified. There are others that are also certified in the next bigger town over and most here go with the certified so im still contemplating it all. 

have you ever read this: http://doulamentor.goldenpregnancy.com/?page_id=13

I agree DONA is crap so i wont even think of going with them but i believe most doulas in my area are DONA certified so i think having a different approach then them might help me even if i were to not certify. 

But overall i think its a personal decision. good luck!

kcangel63
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM
Thank you.

Are you a doula, or are you preparing to be one?

Quoting lundaylove:

for me it doesnt matter if they are certified. Im most likely going to at least get the training thru CBI but i dont know if i want to certify however the only other doula in my town is certified. There are others that are also certified in the next bigger town over and most here go with the certified so im still contemplating it all. 

have you ever read this: http://doulamentor.goldenpregnancy.com/?page_id=13

I agree DONA is crap so i wont even think of going with them but i believe most doulas in my area are DONA certified so i think having a different approach then them might help me even if i were to not certify. 

But overall i think its a personal decision. good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:16 PM

preparing to be one =]

kcangel63
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM
I was advised to "shadow" other doulas, if I don't want to get certified. I have one who has agreed to check with her clients, but she only has 2 right now bc she is pregnant. Others won't bc I'm not certified. SIGH...

Quoting lundaylove:

preparing to be one =]

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

we only have one other in my town (the other town with a bunch is over an hour away) and she is not exactly friendly.... and she refuses cuz she "might lose clients" whatever.... 

Quoting kcangel63:

I was advised to "shadow" other doulas, if I don't want to get certified. I have one who has agreed to check with her clients, but she only has 2 right now bc she is pregnant. Others won't bc I'm not certified. SIGH...

Quoting lundaylove:

preparing to be one =]

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I really have no clue, I know when we were looking the first time around we looked or someone we were comfortable with. Everyone we interviewed either had there certification or was working on it. The one we had was working on hers. Sadly for our first birth with her, she was not able to come. Her MIL passed away the night before. But she was able to make it to our third. She was amazing. I so wish she had been there with my second. Things would have turned out so different.

mich.el.le
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I wouldn't hire a doula that wasn't certified (unless I already knew her very well).  There is a certain amount of comfort knowing that your doula has that little piece of paper.

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:11 PM
My doula was not certified when my first one was born, but by my last one she was. She was wonderful before and after she was certified. I think getting certified just brought her a greater clientele.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I am getting certified through BAI:) ordering my stuff this month:D  I am getting certified 1, for networking purposes.2. I BELIEVE in order to work with operation special delivery you HAVE to be certified with someone:)3. I would use someone who has been through training..:)

preciouspkgs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I was a doula for 13 years before I became a midwife.  At the beginning I was certified with DONA, because especially when you are a newer doula it can give people that little extra feeling of safety.  It also helps you with marketing and networking (usually your certifying body will list you on their website) and alot of hospitals won't count a doula against the number of people "allowed" in with a family, but only if you can show your certification.

As time went by I let my certification lapse because I just didn't need it anymore, by then the hospital staff at our local hospitals knew me, and all of my clients were word of mouth from previous clients. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)