Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about BFing during pregnancy...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am 24 weeks pregnant and my 3 year old son still nurses about 2 times a day. By this time when I was pregnant with him I was already producing colostrum. Will I ever get colostrum or will the new baby just get milk? I know I have a long way to go and my son may wean himself before the baby comes so things in boob land may change but assuming he doesn't wean what should I expect? Thanks for your help!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Curious as well...bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Your milk will go back to being colostrum before the baby comes. Then your milk will come in again a few days after delivery.
My older son nursed through my whole last pregnancy even though I was sure he wasn't getting anything. The look of Joy on his face when he got milk again was worth it all :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

Your milk will go back to being colostrum before the baby comes. Then your milk will come in again a few days after delivery.
My older son nursed through my whole last pregnancy even though I was sure he wasn't getting anything. The look of Joy on his face when he got milk again was worth it all :-)

Thanks! I had been wondering for a while how this works. I really would like my son to be fully weaned before the baby gets here but I plan to pump for him and give him at least a cup a day of the good stuff. We'll see. If he's not weaned by then no worries.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

A great analogist I heard was comparing breastfeeding to seasons. The winter is when there is no milk, spring is like when the colostrum comes in, summer is like when milk is being produces and fall is the weaning process. I wish I remembed more clearly, its from the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" which I gave away, but i think you still go rthough all of these while you are nursing and pregnant. I do think I went through a dry season where there was no milk and then started producing colostrum before my baby was born. My milk came in pretty quickly too, within a day or two, I believe because I was tandem nursing.

larissalarie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:20 PM
What worked for me was to limit my older son to nap & bedtime only a couple of months before the baby. Then I let him know that the baby would have to nurse a lot because he couldn't eat or drink food yet because babies are tiny and have no teeth, but he would still just need it for bedtimes because he's a big boy. We have never had any issues, it was a very smooth transition. I too hoped the older would wean before baby, but he didn't and what we did worked great. I hope it goes well for you too!

Quoting norwgnwood:

Quoting larissalarie:

Thanks! I had been wondering for a while how this works. I really would like my son to be fully weaned before the baby gets here but I plan to pump for him and give him at least a cup a day of the good stuff. We'll see. If he's not weaned by then no worries.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM
It will become colastrum and then your milk will come in a few days later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

What worked for me was to limit my older son to nap & bedtime only a couple of months before the baby. Then I let him know that the baby would have to nurse a lot because he couldn't eat or drink food yet because babies are tiny and have no teeth, but he would still just need it for bedtimes because he's a big boy. We have never had any issues, it was a very smooth transition. I too hoped the older would wean before baby, but he didn't and what we did worked great. I hope it goes well for you too!

That's exactly what I am doing. We went from don't ask/don't refuse to only at bed time and first thing in the morning. It was a very smooth transition though sometimes he still asks for it but doesn't get mad if I remind him its not bed time yet. Occasionally I bring it up that his sister will have to nurse a lot when she gets here. I'm just taking it day by day. And if he still wants to nurse at bed time when she is here then thats ok, too.

sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

A great book is "What Baby Needs" by Dr. and Martha Sears.  It addresses baby's needs in a way that your LO can connect with. A lot of talk of "just like you did when you were a baby".  My DD was 2 yrs. 9 mos when I had my DS, and the book was a great tool to prepare her for his arrival.  She's 3 now, and still nurses.

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM
I still had a small amount of milk up until Gracie was born. Markus nursed through the whole pregnancy. I would still hear him swallowing. It turned into colostrum after she was born but since I had a cesarean it took 5-6 days for my milk to come in. I think it really helped out because I noticed the colostrum was more liquidy than with my other two kids since I nursed up until then. It saved her from getting dehydrated I think or losing a lot of weight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhiannian
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Awww:) I can't wait to see that look on my son's face again:( Nursing is pretty disappointing for him right now, he doesn't get much and it used to be his favorite thing to do:(

Quoting larissalarie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)