Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At my wits end...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 4 yr old son is driving me crazy. He is soo whiny!! Ever thing he says he whines, everything I say he whines or throws fits. Im so sick of his horrible attitude, I feel lije we have tried everything and NOTHING works!! Im seriously at my wits end with this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
doulala
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry--- It can be unlearned though! You can stop hearing him in that tone... Warn him that your ears don't work when he speaks to you in that way, that you will hear him when he uses his normal voice. Then don't respond until he does as you asked.

JazzysWifey
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM
i can totally relate.... my 3 year old is crazy lately! just keep breathing! the whining is driving me batty but i also just ignore her until i hear full sentences with please. *sigh*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM

My 5 yr old whines and doesn't use full sentences lately. (Probably thanks to his lil bro)

I do what doulala said. I say "I'm sorry, I can't undestand that language. Please say it again the correct way and I'll be happy to listen." or something along those lines. It always works! Of course, it works better when he's not hungry or tired. :)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM
Yup, that's what I do too. I say, "try again" and she repeats herself appropriately.
If she's whining at something I send her to time out OR to her room to calm down (her room is not time out, time out is for when she's in trouble).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Yup, I just say I can't hear them when they speak like that. You have to follow through (like everything), but it works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM

oh yes my 3 year old can be like that. I have leaned that when she starts to whine I take a deep breath and remain calm and say lets try this again you can make the choice here you want to make it bad or good.  my reaction makes all the difference, very hard when I'm in a very tired mood.

kailu1835
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Ignore him completely every single time he whines.  Tell him once: I can't hear you when you whine.  Let me know when you're ready to talk.  And then ignore him.  I'm going through this with my 5 year old.  It's gotten a lot better.

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM

My 4 year old just started this too, I tell him that I can only understand his normal voice...he stops and speaks normally or he gets ignored, it works

VintageWife
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Yep, you have to do the only responding when spoken correctly thing. My kids are far from well behaved (well, my oldest anyways), but the one thing I refuse to deal with is whiney voices. I can't stand it. There is a certain fingernail comparison, but I'm not going to say it cause it makes me gag. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)