Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any doulas here?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:03 AM
  • 33 Replies
I'm considering working to become a doula and I'm trying to find some people to bounce questions off of. Is anyone here a doula?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM

yes there are!!

:-D

Ask away and ladies here can try to be helpful~~

lundaylove
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM

im in training to become one =)

mehargval
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM
I have a question too, actually. How did y'all become inspired to be doulas? Did you always want to work with expectant mothers or was it something that happened in your own life?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Quoting mehargval:

I have a question too, actually. How did y'all become inspired to be doulas? Did you always want to work with expectant mothers or was it something that happened in your own life?

It came more from noticing a great contrast in the care that mothers receive.   
Once I started to become aware that who women hire for their care (OBs, midwives, nurses), what information and help and preparation they have will make a huge difference on their health-safety-enjoyment of their birthing/mothering experiences.  I felt I could lend my love for nurturing to this niche.
So it came from seeing Great Injustices that might be easily remedied!

;-)

I was treated soooo well (after I switched care) in my pregnancies and started to learn about so many women that weren't.    I am very Motherly and have a lot of compassion to offer worried new-mamas.   This felt like a perfect fit~~  A lot of women could really use this help and have better experiences.

:-D

LaughterHugs
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM

i am :)

lundaylove
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Quoting mehargval:

i had a very bad experience with one of my hospital births. it got me thinking and researching and findout out how horrible the maternity "care" system is, got me connected with some awesome women, some of which are doulas, and just led me down that path. i then had a doula with my last birth and it was amazing. the way the birth went couldnt have been better. i want others to have my good birth not the horrible one and i know doulas play a huge role in that, specially during hospital births. And i do believe there are not many doulas who are comfortable attending unassisted births and i know that those mothers need the support there too so i wouldnt mind since ive been there, done that (last birth was a UC)

_muffin_
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Quoting lundaylove:

Before I had my own kids I attended the birth of my nephews. I saw how beautiful natural birth can be and thought everyone should be able to have that experiance. It wasn't until after I had my second child that I started my training. I am hoping to complete it by April of this year.

chudler
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lundaylove:

I wrote on your fb wall about this :)

LaughterHugs
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM

this is pretty much my reasoning too, except sub vbac for UC :)

(unnecesserean with my firstborn, then a home water VBAC with #2)

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting mehargval:

i had a very bad experience with one of my hospital births. it got me thinking and researching and findout out how horrible the maternity "care" system is, got me connected with some awesome women, some of which are doulas, and just led me down that path. i then had a doula with my last birth and it was amazing. the way the birth went couldnt have been better. i want others to have my good birth not the horrible one and i know doulas play a huge role in that, specially during hospital births. And i do believe there are not many doulas who are comfortable attending unassisted births and i know that those mothers need the support there too so i wouldnt mind since ive been there, done that (last birth was a UC)

doulala
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Maybe it's just a different scene around me, but I thought the opposite:  attending an UC is really exciting for a doula!
;-)

Quoting lundaylove:

And i do believe there are not many doulas who are comfortable attending unassisted births 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)