Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you celebrate St. Nicholas Day?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM
  • 22 Replies

We will!  We aren't religious but we used to celebrate it when I was a kid.  It's cute.  We also celebrate Hanukkah and Xmas.  :)  We are starting that this year...Hubs is like we aren't Jewish, and I countered with we aren't Christian but we celebrate Xmas right?  lol  I'm excited to get a Menorah and put it in the window right next to our Xmas tree.  

I love celebrating.  

Do you know what Muslims celebrate around this time of year?  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaKalila
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes Ramadhan falls around the same time, but they use a lunar calendar so it moves. It has already past this year (unless I'm completely spacing out).  

We do celebrate St. Nicholas day here... but mostly by baking cookies lol. I have a cute St Nicholas purse cookie recipe I found last year and was so much fun to do! 

peaches_04
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:30 AM
Eid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:39 AM
2 moms liked this

We celebrate it! 

MamaKalila
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Out of curiousity I looked it up... not only has Ramadhan (one of the Eids is at the end of it) passed this year but so has the other Eid.  You missed it by a month. 

JealousGrrl
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Yeah, I checked it out....whatev.  :)  I'm not muslim anyways.  lol

Quoting MamaKalila:

Out of curiousity I looked it up... not only has Ramadhan (one of the Eids is at the end of it) passed this year but so has the other Eid.  You missed it by a month. 

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

How about Yule? and kwanza?

JealousGrrl
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I have celebrated Yule in the past...This year we decided to do Xmas and Hanukkah.  I read more about how the muslim religion celebrates by fasting and I am nursing so I can't do that anyways.  lol  

I don't know anything about Kwanza, lol, I didn't even think of it.  :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I work at an african american dominant school so we learn about it every year more than anything else it seems

Quoting JealousGrrl:

I have celebrated Yule in the past...This year we decided to do Xmas and Hanukkah.  I read more about how the muslim religion celebrates by fasting and I am nursing so I can't do that anyways.  lol  

I don't know anything about Kwanza, lol, I didn't even think of it.  :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

boomamma
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We dont' celebrate St. Nicholas day, but I know it is celebrated in the Waldorf School, that is how I learned about it.  

We have a FULL calendar in December, so It would be too much I think to add more.  We celebrate Solstice/Yule, Christmas AND Hannukah (at least, one night we light the candles and I have been practicing  my Hebrew).  We do one gift on Solstice and the rest Christmas morning.  

I actualy learned about Kwanza from an episode of Sesame Street! LOL  GREAT explination and a peak into a family celebration.  I'm sure you could find it on Youtube.  

Yule/Solstice is all about warmth and celebrating the sun to coax his return in the dark winter nights.  

Pagan-Buddhist-Universalist,GREEN,breastfeeding,baby-wearing,Waldorf mamma of 2 intact, cloth diapered, bed-sharing, delay vaxed, "Attached", SPIRITED & happy little BOYS born at HOME!

VintageWife
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Quoting boomamma:

We dont' celebrate St. Nicholas day, but I know it is celebrated in the Waldorf School, that is how I learned about it.  

We have a FULL calendar in December, so It would be too much I think to add more.  We celebrate Solstice/Yule, Christmas AND Hannukah (at least, one night we light the candles and I have been practicing  my Hebrew).  We do one gift on Solstice and the rest Christmas morning.  

I actualy learned about Kwanza from an episode of Sesame Street! LOL  GREAT explination and a peak into a family celebration.  I'm sure you could find it on Youtube.  

Yule/Solstice is all about warmth and celebrating the sun to coax his return in the dark winter nights.  

You know Hebrew?!? I've been dying to learn it. It's my "Before 40" goal :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)