Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gripe water?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM
  • 9 Replies

what is gripe water used for and is it good to use? I've heard a lot about it but never have used it.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
h_minkus
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

It is supposed to be for colic/gas. I never found any of those things to be 100% helpful. Nursing in a more upright position, hand expressing a bit beforehand (because I was engorged, and had fast let-down), good burping, bicycling the legs, etc. -these things helped with gas a lot more than any of the drops or anything.

.Angelica.
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM

thanks. I am wondering if my dd is having some issues with gas.

i do have a fast letdown but she nurses so much right now i don't have time to become engorged. lol she is only 2 weeks so i'll have to see if i can figure out a more upright position to nurse in. I already tried the bicycling and stuff and she doesn't usually burp after nursing no matter how long i try.

Quoting h_minkus:

It is supposed to be for colic/gas. I never found any of those things to be 100% helpful. Nursing in a more upright position, hand expressing a bit beforehand (because I was engorged, and had fast let-down), good burping, bicycling the legs, etc. -these things helped with gas a lot more than any of the drops or anything.

h_minkus
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I think the football hold was my best success, and I would just prop their little head up with my hand a bit...But yeah, the fast letdown creates air bubbles because they have to gulp. If she won't burp after nursing, just try keep her upright for awhile, on your shoulder or something, or upright laying on your chest.

MamaCarterof5
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM
If you have internet access check out colic calm gripe water. I have used it with great success with my last 4 babies and they guarantee it works or 100% money back. I already have a new bottle on and I'm not due for another 3 weeks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I stay away from putting anything in my babies tummies other than breastmilk so they have a virgin gut. If you're interested in what that means and why its important you should google it=)

Babies guts really aren't mature at birth and its pretty common for them to have gas for the first few months. At least thats my experience with my 3 kiddos. I would try what the previous posters said!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I've heard of it before.

I'm going to try block feeding and see if that helps. I think the issue is overactive letdown.

Quoting jconney80:

I stay away from putting anything in my babies tummies other than breastmilk so they have a virgin gut. If you're interested in what that means and why its important you should google it=)

Babies guts really aren't mature at birth and its pretty common for them to have gas for the first few months. At least thats my experience with my 3 kiddos. I would try what the previous posters said!

drealu
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I felt like we had 8/10 success with Gripe Water. 

I started block feeding in order to relieve some of my overactive letdown. We started gripe water around 3 months, and used it off and on. Sometimes just giving him a bath helped with the gas/colicky issues.

drealu
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM

oh and our pediatrician described it as natural alka seltzer for babies.

beachmomoftwo05
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I used Colic Calm for my LO"s colic, but it can also be used for reflux, teething, gas and constipation. Essentially it's 9 natural ingredients which help soothe your baby for their different properties. You can read more here:

http://www.coliccalm.com/gripe-water.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)