Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

goats milk vs formula

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 18 Replies
I brought it up with my bf and we got into a fight because "I shouldn't be listening to women on the internet" and I should be listening to the drs instead. He thinks its a stupid and unhealthy idea.
so I looked it up and every site including Dr.sears said its not a safe alternative. So im asking here to see if any of you can find any reputable sites stating anything positive I can show him. The site cannot end in .com or he will claim its not factual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
borgen0128
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is your babe? Are you breastfeeding at all? Slightly confused by your post. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM
baby on the way :) Plan to bf but failed last time...trying to educate myself and him and have a back up plan....last time we didn't have one and had no money to go get formula. I want to be prepared just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
borgen0128
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM
first I would get into contact with your local La Leche League, (if there is one) for breastfeeding support. That way your first option is better supported.

I would not give my child only goats milk. You could use goats milk in homemade infant formula. The cost of making homemade infant formula is not cheap and takes time to prepare, if that is a concern. Goats milk alone would not have the nutrition your baby needs.

May I ask why your first try at breastfeeding failed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM
i was uneducated on the matter, i was too poor to afford bottled water and our town water was so clorinated that I refused to drink it. so I got dehydration and dried up.
Plus I was using a shield and pumping with a cheap pump trying to get more out.

lack of know how basically
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

my naturopath does not recommend goats milk....she says it does not have all the nutriants a baby needs.  but you can use it to make homemade formula, although she has a chicken liver recipe she feels is a better alternative.

from what you described you wont neccisarrily have supply issues this time around as long as you stay hydrated and avoid the sheilds if you possibly can.  plus hand expressing milk is many times a better option for mom's who cant afford a decent pump.  you can also check with WIC to see if you qaulify and they will help you out with a very good qaulity pump!

i had severe supply issues but i relied upon donor milk....as long as you have the freezer space and do the work to obtain it i would choose that over formula any day.  that is the best option for baby plus it is MUCH less work that trying to make homemade formula and is perfect for the baby in every way :)

borgen0128
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I have confidence you will be able to do it this time. It sounds like bad circumstances last time, rather than your body's ability. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marriagecoach
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I agree with everyone so far. Goats milk is not advised due to not having enough vitamin and minerals added to formula. And getting involved with LeLeche League is a great alternative orWIC. They can actually help you now with prenatal education. Pumps are unfortunately as good as you pay for them. Cheap ones are not advised to help increase your supply but for once in a great while. Hopefully WIC can help you with that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

i would just like to add that i failed b/c of lack of education and dehydration but also lack of food. i just didnt want to eat. dont forget to nourish yourelf and contact le leche league or wic has a support line to call too. you will be fine this time!! i would not use goats milk or try to make my own formula but that is just me. 

chipper87
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM
wow!!!! Thank you so much ladies! i sincerely appreciate the support!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM
and the information!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)