Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sigh--breastfeeding on Sesame Street debate on facebook

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 13 Replies

My cousin N "tried" to breastfeed both her sons for a combined total of 3 weeks and has no plans to even try with her upcoming hopefully vbac again son (c-section with #1, fully medicated and induced vbac with #2).  She is also an RN.  Her older sister, on the other hand, breastfed and pumped for 9 months (second longest in our family).

I shared the update about the Sesame Street petition, where the SS writers said there just wasn't anywhere in the storyline for breastfeeding right now.  My comment was:  "If the show has storyline room for a baby with a bottle, then it has room for a baby feeding naturally!"

Well, cousin N responded "There's no room for breastfeeding on Sesame Street for the same reason most baby dolls don't have a penis or vagina. It isn't a big deal unless you make it one. Teach your own children about that sort of stuff and quit making it someones else's responsibility!"

So, I responded back, "If there's room for bottles and formula, then there should be room for feeding babies from the breast as well. They can show both ways. But, by NOT showing breastfeeding, they are acting like it's something to hide, be ashamed of, abnormal."

And she just couldn't leave it there!  "So I guess you think Sesame Street should say that Bert and Ernie are lovers, in an effort to be fair to the gay community. It's a kids television show! The purpose is to teach them their ABC's, numbers and kindness...not to delve into things that are too complicated for them to understand at the age for which the show is intended. If you want to teach about breastfeeding, genders, and sexual orientation, then create a show for the older child. That is not what Sesame Street is all about and I doubt a preschooler/kindergardener cares about where their milk came from when he/she was a baby. It is irrelevent at this point in their development."

Her husband, an administrator at the same hospital where she works, "liked" both of her comments, too.

While I do support LGBT awareness and acceptance, I see NO connection to wanting SS to show equal coverage of breastfeeding and bottle/formula feeding.  It's just such a leap!  I was so furious and shocked at the same time that I decided NOT to comment back.  I had already said what needed to be said, anyway.  I didn't want to point out that SHE is sexualizing breastfeeding by her connection and get off on a tangent about this being a big part of why so many aren't breastfeeding...

(But, one of my local friends did comment in support "ok if you think so *n* then why did they have breastfeeding on there way back when?"

How else could I have responded??

eccentric.gif picture by lilbean08  stewie2218814qr.gif picture by lilbean08 blinkies.gif picture by lilbean08
Happy momma to two sweet daughters and one dear son

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VeganEcoMama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Wow, I don't know I would have had zero patience for her. She jumped on your comment by being very defensive already. She's very much bringing her own issues into it. Where the hell did she go from breastfeeding to gay puppets? People like that just drive me nuts because nothing you say will get through anyways. If she didn't like what you posted then leave it be and you know what? I'd love it if they made Bert and Ernie gay, haha in fact maybe that's all I'd say to her, just to be a smart ass :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanut06
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM

VeganEcoMama, I agree she is bringing her own breastfeeding issues to the topic.  Trying to remain sensitive to her issues is part of the reason why I didn't comment back when I was upset at first.

Nah, I don't have to be a smarty pants about most non-traditional parenting things anymore, thanks to all the cutesy, humorous (or serious) "in your face" pictures people have that I can share on facebook LOL

What's awesome is, if her older sister could see it, she'd be all over her.  I don't think N knows that her older sister and I don't vaccinate according to THE schedule--and she would have an unholy cow if she did!

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
sreichelt26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

that's just one of those situations where you can't have a conversation - it will go nowhere. I think the friend's comment about how it used to be on there was appropriate. maybe you can find that episode on youtube and post it on her wall ;) hehehehe

Timmysmom1110
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate peoples ignorance with this issue. I want to go off on anyone who tries to say nip is obscene, or that ff is "just as good", etc etc. I understand that some women genuinely cannot breastfeed, and in those cases they have turned to formula. But I do agree that she has brought her own issues into the equation, and I have a sneaky suspicion that women like her are jealous of mothers that breastfeed and feel guilty that they do not. I understand her feelings, but it's people like her that have made it unfair for people like us. It's so ignorant. I'm so sad that my son has to be raised in a world where the most natural way to feed a baby is shunned
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Timmysmom1110
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Where is this debate going on btw?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM
The Today Show had a "Today's Moms" Facebook page and they were debating this. The level of ignorance has been more surprising than usual. I know this topic was also here in CafeMom's The Stir. I couldn't bear to read it but heard it got ugly.

Quoting Timmysmom1110:

Where is this debate going on btw?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM
3 moms liked this
Your poor cousin obviously got the wrong kind of support, as evidenced by her husband's liking of her comments. Quite a team there, and in the healthcare industry, no less :-( I don't know about *her* kids, but *my* kids understand quite easily that babies, (be they puppies, kittens, calves or humans) simply drink milk from their mothers. Seems explaining milk substitutes and artificial nipples and bottles should be what's confusing! Your cousin makes breastfeeding sound like a topic to be covered when you're teaching the birds and the bees. Well I guess that's exactly what she's saying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Sigh, once again someone linking breastfeeding to sex....
If you waste your time saying anything I would maybe ask why she thinks breastfeeding is equal to sex issues?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Its pure ignorance! Unfortunately too often it falls on deaf ears. I agree that women like her deep down feel guilty and they is where their anger towards these topics stems from

Quoting larissalarie:

Sigh, once again someone linking breastfeeding to sex....

If you waste your time saying anything I would maybe ask why she thinks breastfeeding is equal to sex issues?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Its sad to see people in health care feel this way. Ugh. Its become the norm. We had a young Dr in training asking us so many questions about nursing my daughter at the pedis. He couldn't believe she nursed ever hour or so. He was clueless

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Your poor cousin obviously got the wrong kind of support, as evidenced by her husband's liking of her comments. Quite a team there, and in the healthcare industry, no less :-( I don't know about *her* kids, but *my* kids understand quite easily that babies, (be they puppies, kittens, calves or humans) simply drink milk from their mothers. Seems explaining milk substitutes and artificial nipples and bottles should! Your cousin makes breastfeeding sound like a topic to be covered when you're teaching the birds and the bees. Well I guess that's exactly what she's saying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)