Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hypnobabies or hypnobirthing

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am currently pregnant and am due in sept. I am wondering which method is best. Is it really pain free like they say? If not how painful is it? I had my last daughter with a epi and remember nothing about her birth. I have a very very low pain tolerance. So that worries me as well. But I want to try.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjrex87
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I can let you know in about 4-6 weeks, lol! I'm using Hypnobabies. It is very relaxing and I am growing in confidence the more I practice. I think it will definitely be a huge help, but obviously I can't say anything about the pain yet. Have you watched any videos? There are a ton of Hypnobabies videos on YouTube and the women look like giving birth is a breeze!

The birth partner is extremely involved in this technique (not just telling you to "breathe" and "push!"), so if that is important to you, it's a major plus!

peaches_04
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM
I was wondering this as well and am also due in sept
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiesing
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Quoting mjrex87:

I can let you know in about 4-6 weeks, lol! I'm using Hypnobabies. It is very relaxing and I am growing in confidence the more I practice. I think it will definitely be a huge help, but obviously I can't say anything about the pain yet. Have you watched any videos? There are a ton of Hypnobabies videos on YouTube and the women look like giving birth is a breeze!

The birth partner is extremely involved in this technique (not just telling you to "breathe" and "push!"), so if that is important to you, it's a major plus!

Yes I have watched a few videos ams they looked peaceful almost and if I do it that way I will be in a birthing center and not a hospital so I can't back out.
marriagecoach
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM
I came from 2 epidural births to an unmedicated one using hypnobirthing. If you really believe in the process it will work if unsure I would look into a doula to help out I had pressure and my legs went completely numb. It was an awesome experience
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Czarena
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Hypnobirthing has 1 cd

hypnobabies is a 6 week/ 6 cd course (it can be fast tracked)

I've heard good about both. those that jave experience with both say babies is superior

i loved hypnobabies - 4 hour relatively easy labor after 3 previous intense labors without it

LauraRami
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I've taken both classes and I think it depends on the type of person you are since they have different levels of homework, cds, etc. 

HypnoBirthing is pretty simple 1 cd, 5 weeks of class, and less homework. Works for you if you and/or your spouse can assimilate the concept and run with it. I think for dads who would be overwhelmed with homework every night this is better. 

HypnoBabies is 6 weeks 6 cds, and is much more homework intensive. If you are the type of person who feels more comfortable with a concept the more reinforcement/studying you have then this is for you. I thought it was really helpful to people who to do a lot of work on previous birth trauma. Both encourage you to work through previous experiences that are not positive, it just depends on how you choose to do so. 

They both come from the same basis, HypnoBabies was born from HypnoBirthing by a lady who taught HypnoBirthing and then wanted to add more. 

Either what you put in is what you get out. 

The other moms are right get a doula, get a doula, get a doula. Lots of doulas have taken the courses and will be able to use the terminalogy to support you. 

MamaKalila
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I used Hypnobabies with my second child and so planning to use it again this time. I loved it.  I did have some discomfort at a couple points, but it was from losing focus... most of my birth was pain free. 

Karly615
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM
I used hypnobirth and it was amazing! U don't have to have a high pain tolerance. Its natural and our bodies are made for it. The more confident u are and relax during labor the less pressure u will feel. U can do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a low pain tolerance too. We are talking someone who cries when she stubs her toe. I just did hypnobirthing. There weren't any classes near me, so I just read the book and listened to the cd diligiently every day. It wasn't painless, but knowing NOT to be afraid of each contraction and to just give in to it and let my body do what it needed to do.  I didn't volcalize a lot until I hit transition (I didn't know it was transition, because I do had had an epi with my first.) It's kind of funny looking back. I got stuck in the bathroom, didn't have the baby there, but my midwife had to coax me out of there so I wouldn't have baby there.  The pressure made me think I had to go, but nothing happend.  

It was a great experience and no where near as scary or painful as I thought it was going to be. 

MedievalMama
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I'm going with HypnoBirthing. I just got my book in the mail a couple days ago and so far I love what I'm reading. I'm just waiting on being able to get the CD now, but I can certainly let you know how it goes once I give birth. I'm due March 20th, PM me if you'd like an update or anything.

Oh, and I'm not doing the actual classes, there isn't anyplace nearby that offers them, so I'm kinda "self-teaching".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)