Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need some info about group b strep positive

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM
  • 19 Replies

so here is the deal.

with my last pregnancy i was group b strep positive at 37 weeks.  because of this my homebirth plan was threatened by a 12 hour post-water breaking rule that pretty much put a time limit on my birth.  if i didnt delever in 12 hours after my water broke i would have to be transfered to a hospital (this was all because of my midwives liability insurance and some rules put in place by the state licencing board bla bla bla).  so what i did was use a high strength antibiotic for 5 days that i had gotten for strep thoat a few months back and didnt use (which i told my midwife "off the record about" but it wasnt included in my chart) then tested again about a week later and got a negative which then "on paper" let me slide past the 12 hour rule.  turns out i didnt really even need to do that because my birth was 5 hours long and my water broke a 1/2 hour before i gave birth but oh well.  she also used the hebbi wash as a precaution.

i am afraid of testing positive again this next time around....i want to avoid those stupid rules and regulations if i can.  we both know that a negative test wont do anything to prevent the group b strep anyway (since you can test negative at 37 weeks and many moms are positive by week 40 anyway) but its a rule that she HAS to follow.  once again i hoarded some antibiotics but this time i am thinking of taking them before the first test so it would never be questioned in the first place.

my only real issue with doing this is i *think* this caused me to have a pretty bad case of thrush that got into my ducts and was just horrible and took forever to treat....now it could have been from other things (thrush happens) but it is also a real possibility it came from the anitbiotic use.

in my mind i have a few options.  take the antibiotic before hand and see if i can get a negative.  or i could wait to test and see if i am positive and treat myself from there.  or if i am group b positive i could skip the antibiotics and if my water breaks early in my labor i could just not call her right away or fudge the time my water broke and postpone as long as possible making sure to check my own temp for a possible infection....but then i wouldnt get the early hebbi wash treatments so i dont know.

i also ate copius amounts of raw garlic, took grapeseed extract and did oral and vaginal probiotics the last time which i plan on doing this time as well....i think that is why i didnt get a yeast infection but did get thrush.

thoughts?  recommendations? what would YOU do?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slvrbtrfly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM
I would not take the antibiotics. Over use of antibiotics is one if the causes of super bugs. I would look for a way to use coconut oil, or olive oil since they are both antibiotic without as many risks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

i dont overuse antibiotics...i have been on antibiotics twice in 5 years.  i am not concerned about overusing them, i am concerned about dealing with the repercussions of being group b + and having it alter my birth plan.

are you suggesting i ingest the coconut oil/olive oil or use it topically?

like i stated in my post i also ate lots of raw garlic, took handfuls of grapeseed oil extract and probiotics as natural remedies to help get my cuture count down so i would test negative.  between that and the antibiotics was able to get a succesful group b - on my blood work which negated the 12 hour rule my midwife is mandated to follow.

Quoting slvrbtrfly:

I would not take the antibiotics. Over use of antibiotics is one if the causes of super bugs. I would look for a way to use coconut oil, or olive oil since they are both antibiotic without as many risks.

slvrbtrfly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM
I would do topically
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slvrbtrfly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM
As far as the antibiotics, by over use I was referring to taking them when you may not need them. But I'll check out a natural solution for you and let you know what I come up with
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Quoting slvrbtrfly:

As far as the antibiotics, by over use I was referring to taking them when you may not need them. But I'll check out a natural solution for you and let you know what I come up with

if it were not for this stupid rule and risk of transfering to a hospital (where i would be forced to get much stronger iv antibiotics during labor and all the crap that goes along with a hospital birth) i would not take them AT ALL....heck i dont even take them when they are prescribed for me which is why i have extra scripts laying around that never get used. 

i just hate the fact that my midwife is backed into a corner by all this and it limits my birthing options.

slvrbtrfly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Here's a good site:
http://thecontrarianmom.com/2010/09/10/group-b-strep-simple-treatments-for-group-b-strep/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM

thanks for the link!

Quoting slvrbtrfly:

Here's a good site:
http://thecontrarianmom.com/2010/09/10/group-b-strep-simple-treatments-for-group-b-strep/

slvrbtrfly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Hope it helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Czarena
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:22 AM

you can skip the test ya know

peaches_04
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:28 AM
Ive heard shoving garlic cloves up your ho-ha helps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)