Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pureed baby food

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

My baby is showing all the signs of readiness for baby food, what is the best thing to start with? I've already given him rice cereal which he eats up!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much anything is better than rice cereal :-)
We start with avocado.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalisi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM

whats wrong with rice cereal?

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this
It has no nutritional value other than the fortified (fake) vitamins added to it. The fake vitamins interfere with the absorption of the real vitamins in breastmilk or other real foods. Even the AAP no longer recommend the use of infant cereal.

Quoting mamalisi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

yah i tried rice cereal and he hated it. then i learned maybe he was right. lol. my son refused avocado but loved sweet potato and squash. he also loved bananas and pears. just try to add some variety or your baby will turn orange. lol. truly it happened to my friends baby. 

oh and when he gets a little older, around 9 months, you can try different beans cooked in the crock pot and purreed for extra protein. wayyy healthier than baby meats. just rinse several times before and after to prevent gassiness. 

good luck!

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
We skip pureed baby foods and wait for signs of food readiness such as sitting up completely unassisted and being able to self feed.... Pincer grasp is the sign of this. Then start baby on small pieces of food like avocado or squash
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalisi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM

i didnt know that! thanks for telling me...eek!

ty355172
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Empty calories.

Quoting mamalisi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
And infants cannot digest it.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/

Quoting larissalarie:

It has no nutritional value other than the fortified (fake) vitamins added to it. The fake vitamins interfere with the absorption of the real vitamins in breastmilk or other real foods. Even the AAP no longer recommend the use of infant cereal.

Quoting mamalisi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I skip cereal altogether and just mash up whatever fruits or veggies I have on hand for my little one. She LOVES everything! We started with avocado, then peas, squash, mango, banana, applesauce (homemade).

MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
We started with avocado here. We didnt do the traditional: No mashed, no purées. Just bite size pieces on plate with a spoon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)