Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
I feel that choosing to circumcise my son will be counterintuitive to a natural birth... But Im thinking it's the best choice because of a few of my friends horror stories when they did NOT circumcise their boys. What are your thoughts and why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Replies (131-140):
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Care of Uncircumsized 

There are a few horror stories, but there are more horror stories that go untold with circumsision. Like a lopsided circ, to short a circ, etc. The circ will only be as good as the doctor who performs it. 

MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM

So is it hard being a female? Are we all dirty & should be cut? .... Woman have many folds of skin & moisture down there. not even to mention when we have our period.. just sayin' :) lol

Quoting corky1990:

Well, again like i was telling the other person, i was stating my opinion to lilrose41102 not anyone else really, i mean go ahead and pick at my comment all you want, its not going to change my opinion, all i think now is that you have nothing better to do with your day but read through comments and quote them opn things you disagree with them on. like why did you have to quote my comment exactly? not bashing... what was that last little ok. at the end then...hmm yea it sounded to me like you were. i mean if you need me to explain this to you better i will. OK... here we go, when you have extra folds of skin it is harder to clean and it gets dirty easier. i do have to take back what i said about it not hurting as much. that came out wrong. But yea some peoples religions and families have done things a certain way so long that it becomes like a normal step in the process of having a baby. I dont like to think about my baby being in pain. And honestly if i could have been there with him, i would have but i was being pumped full of medication. Either way, im so happy with my sons doctor.

Quoting loylin:

I'm not bashing at all, just some things stated needed questioning in my opinion. 

Quoting corky1990:

you deff. need to circumcise. I had my son circumcised and i think it was for the better. Its not clean or sanitary when they are uncircumcised.Have you ever seen one that was intact person? If so was the rest of the person clean? (dirty bits intact or not are dirty bits...)  And if you dont and he ends up wanting it done when hes old do you know how much pain hell have to go through?  When they are a baby i know it still hurts them, but not very much im sure I really don't see how you can be sure of this, being an intact female I assume. and you dont have to see it.Since when is it okay to hurt kids as long as their parents don't have to see it?  It seems like just another step in the birthing process. Not to me.   not to mention my husband said under no circumstance will our son NOT be circumcised. So even he was for it.Ok. 

haleykj
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Lol.

Quoting loylin:

The ok at the end was just that, Ok, I accept your husband was for it, I'm sure you know better what he thought than I do. No issue there.

You made some pretty uninformed statements about intact men,(that they were dirty) (that it doesn't hurt very much having that part of their body chopped off) ,( and that it was okay if it did as long as you didn't see it) and (it's just a normal step in the birthing process) ...  statements that have been proven false,  statements that do intact men a disservice (you even admit to being wrong about some of it in your response to me.)

As far as having extra folds in your skin making a person dirty , women have a clitoris it causes extra folds in women's skin, why don't we hack that off too so women can be cleaner too, and before you say it's just skin on boys, it's not it's full of glands and extra nerves that normal skin does not have. 

As far as being happy with what you did to your son, that's good for you, but it doesn't give you the right to go around spreading false information about intact men. 

A lot of peoples religions  says to do things I don't think is morally just this being one of them, (Some religions  say to stitch little girls closed and people in this world do it because their religion/culture says so and it is just as wrong to me and I would point it out to those people just as I am doing you and for the same reason). 

I responded to you on here because what you were replying to OP was grossly misleading, I didn't bash you I merely questioned your reasoning and your information, I even said it was nothing personal "not bashing at all"  means it's not personal. 

There's no reason for me  to try and change your mind, you have already decided to cut your baby, but there is reason to question bad information when it is being given. 

I responded to you the same reason you responded OP, your on a cafe moms post... people come here to talk and discuss things which was why I responded to you. As far as time... I read pretty well, it doesn't take up much of my time to read and respond on here, a coffee break pass time at most. Maybe that's not the case for you. Maybe, it takes you longer to  read and respond; I guess that could be why you assume it is such a large portion of my time to read and type a couple of paragraphs. 

Quoting corky1990:

Well, again like i was telling the other person, i was stating my opinion to lilrose41102 not anyone else really, i mean go ahead and pick at my comment all you want, its not going to change my opinion, all i think now is that you have nothing better to do with your day but read through comments and quote them opn things you disagree with them on. like why did you have to quote my comment exactly? not bashing... what was that last little ok. at the end then...hmm yea it sounded to me like you were. i mean if you need me to explain this to you better i will. OK... here we go, when you have extra folds of skin it is harder to clean and it gets dirty easier. i do have to take back what i said about it not hurting as much. that came out wrong. But yea some peoples religions and families have done things a certain way so long that it becomes like a normal step in the process of having a baby. I dont like to think about my baby being in pain. And honestly if i could have been there with him, i would have but i was being pumped full of medication. Either way, im so happy with my sons doctor.

Quoting loylin:

I'm not bashing at all, just some things stated needed questioning in my opinion. 

Quoting corky1990:

you deff. need to circumcise. I had my son circumcised and i think it was for the better. Its not clean or sanitary when they are uncircumcised.Have you ever seen one that was intact person? If so was the rest of the person clean? (dirty bits intact or not are dirty bits...)  And if you dont and he ends up wanting it done when hes old do you know how much pain hell have to go through?  When they are a baby i know it still hurts them, but not very much im sure I really don't see how you can be sure of this, being an intact female I assume. and you dont have to see it.Since when is it okay to hurt kids as long as their parents don't have to see it?  It seems like just another step in the birthing process. Not to me.   not to mention my husband said under no circumstance will our son NOT be circumcised. So even he was for it.Ok. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corky1990
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM

lol

louzannalady
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

When DH was three, he had to be circumsized, because of reoccurring infections, because it was not seperating on its own and doing whatever it is it is supposed to do. This can be genetic. It was horrible for him! He still remembers it! He and I felt we did not want our sons to go through what he went through, so we have circumsized DS and will do so with our other sons, should we have any more. 

To be honest you can have a perfectly natural birth and circumsize. They are not mutually exclusive. For example, you can have a natural birth and then chose to formula feed due to medical reasons or vax. They are just choices you have to make for your baby once you are no longer carrying them in your womb. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

fahmom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Please do not base your decision on horror stories from either side. Research for yourself. I personally would not. We circumcised our DS and will not ever do it again to any future children. It is still a sore subject in our household. With proper care of an intact penis it is unlikely to have any complications.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM

My older son is not circ'd and he's fine. we've never had a problem.

haleykj
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately this is a common misconception in the US. The foreskin may not be retractable until puberty. This is often the case. That alone is not a reason to circ. And there are many reasons that circ is easier on a man or child than a baby. "they don't remember it" is not a valid argument a's it has been shown to have lasting psychological effects and disrupts bonding.

Quoting louzannalady:

When DH was three, he had to be circumsized, because of reoccurring infections, because it was not seperating on its own and doing whatever it is it is supposed to do. This can be genetic. It was horrible for him! He still remembers it! He and I felt we did not want our sons to go through what he went through, so we have circumsized DS and will do so with our other sons, should we have any more. 

To be honest you can have a perfectly natural birth and circumsize. They are not mutually exclusive. For example, you can have a natural birth and then chose to formula feed due to medical reasons or vax. They are just choices you have to make for your baby once you are no longer carrying them in your womb. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

With much love and respect- our son not remembering this procedure and the pain after is a valid reason for me and my family to do this when they are an infant. We did not have any bonding issues or any problems with nursing. DS was EBF. Thank you for your opinion, though.  

Quoting haleykj:

Unfortunately this is a common misconception in the US. The foreskin may not be retractable until puberty. This is often the case. That alone is not a reason to circ. And there are many reasons that circ is easier on a man or child than a baby. "they don't remember it" is not a valid argument a's it has been shown to have lasting psychological effects and disrupts bonding.

Quoting louzannalady:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

jlocsgirl
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't listen to the horror stories. Watch a video of a circumcision. I mean, it's only fair, right? If you are going to put your child through unneccessary pain, you should definitely see what they will be doing to him. No medical association recommends routine circumcision, and most insurance won't even pay for it because it is considered COSMETIC surgery, just like a nose or boob job. I don't know any intact man who would chose to be circumcised. Find intact men and ask them, not women or circd men as they have no clue what it's like to have foreskin. Circumcision really is counterintuitive to natural birth... It's just not right in any way. If you happen to have problems (which is EXTREMELY rare) you can get it done later. It is a myth that babies don't feel it. Just watch the videos and listen to those poor boys scream...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN