Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
I feel that choosing to circumcise my son will be counterintuitive to a natural birth... But Im thinking it's the best choice because of a few of my friends horror stories when they did NOT circumcise their boys. What are your thoughts and why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Replies (141-148):
jlocsgirl
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That's because it wasn't supposed to be separating!! Lots of boys don't retract until puberty. Likely the problem was caused from forced retraction.

Quoting louzannalady:

When DH was three, he had to be circumsized, because of reoccurring infections, because it was not seperating on its own and doing whatever it is it is supposed to do. This can be genetic. It was horrible for him! He still remembers it! He and I felt we did not want our sons to go through what he went through, so we have circumsized DS and will do so with our other sons, should we have any more. 

To be honest you can have a perfectly natural birth and circumsize. They are not mutually exclusive. For example, you can have a natural birth and then chose to formula feed due to medical reasons or vax. They are just choices you have to make for your baby once you are no longer carrying them in your womb. 

Freckles0808
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

This post makes me sad.  I thought circ'ing was just what you did, but my midwife asked me to research before deciding.  I am so glad that I did.  I can't believe I almost did that to my baby boy w/o a second thought.  He is beautifully intact and I have never regretted our decision.  Dh is circ'd and wished his mom hadn't made that decison for him.  My older brother said he will not circ his boys, event though he is.  My younger brother had a botched circ.  One of my best friend's younger brother died after contracting an infection from being circ'd.  Another friend just circ'd her baby last year, they nicked something and he required a blood transfusion.  I am not trying to tell horror stories to scare anyone, just hoping parents will really consider what they are doing before they do it.

My intact son is absolutely perfect.  Let your child decide when they are old enough.

MockingJay
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Thank you for sharing your story. My midwife discouraged it as well, but I still wanted it done. I was in nursing school at the time, and happened to watch a circucumsion performed on a newborn boy. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I knew then that there was no way my child would be circumcised. It took very little to convince his dad, thankfully, who was circed. Once he learn more, and felt annoyed that it is practiced routinely. 

Anyhow, that is 17 years ago now, and no problems. The topic came up when my son was about 9. I asked him if he noticed a difference. He said "yes, some boys do not have skin on the end of their penis." I said "yes" and asked if it bothered him. He said no. Then I asked if he knew why there was that difference. He said no, and then I told him. He was horrified. Although I never regretted the decision to leave it up to him, after being told he would suffer horrible ridicule and be an outcast, this was a huge relief. 

I told him that some intact me felt that they wished they had been circed, and that if he ever felt bothered by it, he could elect to have the surgery when he is 18. He thinks thats "stupid". 

Quoting Freckles0808:

This post makes me sad.  I thought circ'ing was just what you did, but my midwife asked me to research before deciding.  I am so glad that I did.  I can't believe I almost did that to my baby boy w/o a second thought.  He is beautifully intact and I have never regretted our decision.  Dh is circ'd and wished his mom hadn't made that decison for him.  My older brother said he will not circ his boys, event though he is.  My younger brother had a botched circ.  One of my best friend's younger brother died after contracting an infection from being circ'd.  Another friend just circ'd her baby last year, they nicked something and he required a blood transfusion.  I am not trying to tell horror stories to scare anyone, just hoping parents will really consider what they are doing before they do it.

My intact son is absolutely perfect.  Let your child decide when they are old enough.

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I do feel that a LOT of folks don't appreciate the serious nature of these things.   And that being unnecessary-elective means unneeded risks~

Quoting Freckles0808:

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:58 AM

i made the decision to circ my son. i'm very grateful for a number of reason. 1) i feel that God gave that as a protection to his people and he had good reasons for it. 2) i've heard a bazillion horror stories about non circ'd boys but only one about a circ'd boy (and that one was easily fixed). 3) we recently found out we are jewish so i'm proud to keep that tradition alive. and 4) i personally hate the look of an uncirc'd penis, but that wouldnt be reason enough to circ its jsut a bonus for his wife. lol.

i think there is a huge push to stop circing boys and i really do not see the greatness behind it. i know i'm a minority on this issue on here. btw i have a very close guy friend who had to be circ'd at 20 because his membranes ruptured and he almost bled out because it happened in the middle of sex. i understand this is super rare! but he said sex after being circ'd was wayyyy better and all boys should be circ'd.

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i think there is a huge push to stop circing boys and i really do not see the greatness behind it. 

It's because of concerns for health and safety.

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

yah i get that, but there are concerns with not circing too. to me this is like the vax issue. there are concerns on both sides and your decision should be made carefully. if doctors werent such idiots then there wouldnt be nearly as much of a problem.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i think there is a huge push to stop circing boys and i really do not see the greatness behind it. 

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 2:24 AM

And with inductions and cesareans, etc., saving interventions for a true need is safest.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

yah i get that, but there are concerns with not circing too. to me this is like the vax issue. there are concerns on both sides and your decision should be made carefully. if doctors werent such idiots then there wouldnt be nearly as much of a problem.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Circumcision is not recommended by any national medical association in the world.  Fifteen national and international medical associations have extensively studied infant circumcision and its effects and found no significant evidence to support this practice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)