Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Circumcision

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM
  • 148 Replies
1 mom liked this
I feel that choosing to circumcise my son will be counterintuitive to a natural birth... But Im thinking it's the best choice because of a few of my friends horror stories when they did NOT circumcise their boys. What are your thoughts and why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganTho
by Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Hmmm well if you need to circumsize him later you can if needed I think the important thing is proper care of an uncircumcised penis. Like never retract the foreskin. My brother was not circumcised and is 13 and has had no problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JealousGrrl
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I personally wouldn't.  Hubs isn't and the foreskin doesn't even separate from the head for like the first few years.  

http://www.circumcision.org/

http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/surgical/circumcision.html

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Momsthename0609
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My two oldest are circd, my youngest is not and any other boy I have won't be either.

With my first I just went along with what his dad said, with my second I ended up getting him done because his brother was and he had complications with his and had a blood clot that effects his erections. The doctor also didn't cut enough off so he has a lot of his foreskin still.

With my third I was hesitant to get him circd because of the problems with my second, I asked my MWs and they gave me the studies done and we decides not to circ him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Your son is much more likely to suffer from problems from a circumcision then getting an infection.

The key to it is being healthy. Teaching your child to clean himself when you're no longer the caretaker of his parts.

MedievalMama
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I will be circumcising my son, but that's mostly because of DH religious traditions and I fully support that. I've seen complications with both un- and circ'd so, to me it's a matter of upkeep with either direction you choose. But I would definitely do your research before making the final decision. Also ask your hospital, pediatrician and any other health care providers that would possibly be performing the procedure about how, when, where, after care and prices. The average price for the procedure where I live is about $200 and our insurance won't cover it unless there is a medical necessity for it.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

My first two boys are circumcised but our third isn't. With our oldest I just went with what my husband wanted and he didn't have any problems. Our 2nd boy though has had issues with his, so we decided against it with our 3rd.

weezer_cookie
by Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Our son is intact and we are happy with that decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM
4 moms liked this

My three boys are not circumcised. Damien is 5, Gavin is 3 and Mason is 16 months. We have no issues and I'm very happy with our decision. There is so much information out there stating that there is no health benefits in circumcision, but infact, leaving a boy intact there are many benefits. There is a reason boys have foreskin.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Quoting MorganTho:

Hmmm well if you need to circumsize him later you can if needed I think the important thing is proper care of an uncircumcised penis. Like never retract the foreskin. My brother was not circumcised and is 13 and has had no problems.

and to add, cleaning an intact penis is very easy. You don't have to do anything special. Once the foreskin is retracted (on its own), you would just clean it with mild soap, easy :)

<3 Julia: wife of Drew, mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason 9-19-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13 Breastfeeding Moms: group Mod

Melame68
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM
10 moms liked this

we did not circumsize my son. to me its like pulling healthy teeth to prevent a potential cavity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)