Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
I feel that choosing to circumcise my son will be counterintuitive to a natural birth... But Im thinking it's the best choice because of a few of my friends horror stories when they did NOT circumcise their boys. What are your thoughts and why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Replies (81-90):
turtle68
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

LMAO...you should rethink your university choice.  I have 4 intact boys who have seen their fathers circumcised penis...they dont care.  And at 12+  My kids arent going to be seeing their dad and wondering why they are different...why?  Because the first question out of their mouths would be...how come you look different?  Then as a good parent, you explain your reasoning behind them being intact.

However as a good parent....it is our job to teach them how to wash themselves once the foreskin is retractable...making them feel comfortable in their own skin will trump seeing others that are different.  I honestly dont understand why that is such a hard concept with people....and IMO that is psychology 101.  Being ashamed of ones genitals is a taught emotion.  Dont teach that shit and I guarantee you that your child wont care.

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

no im a grad student in psychology. why is that weird? being ashamed of your genitals/ sexuality becomes extremely prevalent in early sexual development (between the age of 7 and 13 for boys ) im not saying that a 3 year old is going to have issues with his father penis looking different than his but a 12 year old yes
or is it the idea of a child seeing there parents naked? im sorry i'm really confused as to what you find funny.

Quoting haleykj:

You are being sarcastic right?

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

is your husband circumcised? i think the most important part its that dad and sons penis look similar because inevitably hes going to see his fathers penis and if they look drastically different this could lead a young boy to think there is ssomething wrong with his genitals

jnttd
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Cutting off the foreskin because it might get infected is like cutting off your fingers and toes so you don't get a nail infection.
There are far more benefits of being intact than benefits of being cut, and far less risks of being intact than being cut.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I assure you, boys don't care about the difference. No children/teens/adults I have ever met had a complex with the fact that they were left whole and their fathers weren't. In fact, my DH is glad to be intact because his parents didn't risk his life for something stupid, didn't take his own choice away, and the foreskin feels good during sex. Even children in the locker room never noticed his penis.

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

no im a grad student in psychology. why is that weird? being ashamed of your genitals/ sexuality becomes extremely prevalent in early sexual development (between the age of 7 and 13 for boys ) im not saying that a 3 year old is going to have issues with his father penis looking different than his but a 12 year old yes
or is it the idea of a child seeing there parents naked? im sorry i'm really confused as to what you find funny.

Quoting haleykj:

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

is your husband circumcised? i think the most important part its that dad and sons penis look similar because inevitably hes going to see his fathers penis and if they look drastically different this could lead a young boy to think there is ssomething wrong with his genitals

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Both of mine are circ, because their dad wanted it and I went along. If I have another boy, I wouldn't do it. Both of them had small issues, and the hospital did a bad job of it. Nothing serious, but enough to make me rethink doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilrose41102
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM
To all those concerned... My little guy was circumcised last Saturday at one day old. He is already completely healed 7 days later. He appeared to have minimal pain response following the surgery and is a wonderful baby.

After hearing the graphic details of my friends boys recent circumcisions (at ages 3 and 5) because of complications to the uncircumcised foreskin, I have no regrets. Thank you all for your sharing your experiences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder about those who have boys who have complications at age 3 and 5yo.  I mean HOW?  Are those parents touching their kids foreskins...are they that uneducated that they are forcing the skin back causing their boys pain and infection.

Even if they were the grossiest dirtiest people in the world....that foreskin is intact and doesnt allow infection in.

I am curious though....when you hear stories like this especially when its friends, doesnt it make you question how that happened? Or does it then justify your decision to circumcise?

dhiannian
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a disturbing thought, but with the horror stories I'm hearing about peds telling parents to retract their intact sons I'm not surprised.

Quoting turtle68:

I wonder about those who have boys who have complications at age 3 and 5yo.  I mean HOW?  Are those parents touching their kids foreskins...are they that uneducated that they are forcing the skin back causing their boys pain and infection.

Even if they were the grossiest dirtiest people in the world....that foreskin is intact and doesnt allow infection in.

I am curious though....when you hear stories like this especially when its friends, doesnt it make you question how that happened? Or does it then justify your decision to circumcise?

haleykj
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I really was unsure if that was sarcasm. Unbelievable. First of all, circ'd or not, a child isnt goig to look like mom/dad. But u think if a boy sees his dad is different he will Assume there's somethig Eric with him? You could jus explain that dad is circ'd and you aren't. Explain the benefits of being intact and risks of being circd n tell him thats why u chose not to do it to him If the boy isn't happy he can have it done by HIS choice. It's not the parents decision to make. And personally I don't think genital mutilation is the Nsaer to improving a Childs self esteem regarding their genitals. His does that make sense to you? Did you know that more baby boys are being left intact today than are beig circ'd? So I don't see how you're protecting a boy from those issues by mutilating him.

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

Quoting haleykj:

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Yep. I'm a member of an intactivist group and many of the members say that peds, nurses, daycare providers etc. Try to retract and tell them to retract :( so sad because parents are oblivious and just do it without knowing. poor boys. But even still, usually just a little infection. Women get infections too we dont go doing surgical procedures for that. Hhhmmmmm....Antibiotic---cut it off?You're choice!

Quoting dhiannian:

It's a disturbing thought, but with the horror stories I'm hearing about peds telling parents to retract their intact sons I'm not surprised.

Quoting turtle68:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM

LMBO....I don't know why, but it cracked me up to think that some man might be out there not "performing" well cause he seen his dad's d*ck when he was a kid and it wasn't exactly the same.

Quoting turtle68:

LMAO...you should rethink your university choice.  I have 4 intact boys who have seen their fathers circumcised penis...they dont care.  And at 12+  My kids arent going to be seeing their dad and wondering why they are different...why?  Because the first question out of their mouths would be...how come you look different?  Then as a good parent, you explain your reasoning behind them being intact.

However as a good parent....it is our job to teach them how to wash themselves once the foreskin is retractable...making them feel comfortable in their own skin will trump seeing others that are different.  I honestly dont understand why that is such a hard concept with people....and IMO that is psychology 101.  Being ashamed of ones genitals is a taught emotion.  Dont teach that shit and I guarantee you that your child wont care.

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

Quoting haleykj:

Quoting sarahsaurouss:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)