Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
Has anyone here used a birth doula (or plan to)?
by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 3:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Definetly not to late!!! Contact your midwife they often have ones they can refer you to. ask mommas who have used one before.

Quoting Honeybunches26:

how so i get one? im due on nov 28th is it too late to hire one?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelseamcnorman
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

THAT'S what I need! My last birth accidentally ended up being somewhat "natural"-- due in large to the fact that I was surrounded by kids masquerading in nurse uniforms who didn't want to "make waves" by actually calling my doctor. Actually, it wasn't totally natural because they kept pumping me up with pitossin (sp?). Which, ironically, probably made it even more painful by speeding up contractions and robbing my magnesium stores, but I'm actually grateful for their incompetence because my second baby came out so much healthier than the first one! My husband and I decided that when "we" get pregnant again, we want a COMPLETELY natural birth (no pitossin!!) at home. So I'm trying to learn from others who been der, done dat :)

Thank you so much for explaining this to me!

Quoting orangeshirt:

A doula considers the mom and birth partner as her only clients, not the baby. A doula's job is to support them, provide suggestions for natural pain management via relaxation techniques, movement, and positioning. They also respect the birth plan and help mom cope with any changes that occur because their main goal is to help the mom have an empowered birth.
Quoting chelseamcnorman:

This is going to sound like a stupid question... but could someone explain to me the difference between a doula and a midwife? Is one preferable to the other, or do they supplement each other?

chelseamcnorman
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM

So then it's probably best to use both? Do they often come "in pairs" or does one shop for both separately haha

Quoting joyful_mama:

A doula is just someone who helps you during labor. A midwife is trained in the medical aspects of birth. A mw is like an OB that actually respects the natural process of birth.

Quoting chelseamcnorman:

This is going to sound like a stupid question... but could someone explain to me the difference between a doula and a midwife? Is one preferable to the other, or do they supplement each other?

orangeshirt
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I suggest both.

Quoting chelseamcnorman:

So then it's probably best to use both? Do they often come "in pairs" or does one shop for both separately haha

Quoting joyful_mama:

A doula is just someone who helps you during labor. A midwife is trained in the medical aspects of birth. A mw is like an OB that actually respects the natural process of birth.

Quoting chelseamcnorman:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Separately. And both would be good  I suppose, although a good midwife will act as a doula. I've not had a doula again. My hubby is usually all I want.

Quoting chelseamcnorman:

Quoting joyful_mama:

Quoting chelseamcnorman:

LondonsMomma84
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:00 AM

I just hired my doula for this (my second) birth!  We are having a home birth with a midwife.  I am in love with doula, she's amazing.  She gives 9 months of prenatal appointments and post partum appointments too.  

lundaylove
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Idk that I've ever seen this post..... I used a doula with my last birth and wish I had one with my 2nd. I am now a birth doula myself :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I loved using a doula

loving2live
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM
I just squeezed my husband's ribs when I had contractions. He is the calm, "breathe dear" type, so with a different husband, a doula would have been helpful.

Like a PP, I had to be induced with both my kids (1st time Preeclampsia, 2nd water broke but labor didn't start). It definitely ups the pain level, but I was more comfortable with just my husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

for my ds no. i was young and very uneducated. with my dd i sis a lot of research and i did have one. i think it really helped having her there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)