Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things that help in natural labor

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
  • 11 Replies

So we can't find a doula we can afford. So it seems my partner is going to be my main support. So we wanted to know what really helped you get threw natural labor like getting your hair brushed or smells. Things we can get a head of time to help with natural labor.  What should we pack. So far we thought of a yoga ball, stress balls, and oddly a paintbrush. My three year old was pretending to paint me and I realized it felt really nice so we are packing a new house painting brush. .. any other ideas. My first was a medicade labor because I feel I did not research it well enough. I ended up with a C-section. This time I am doing a Vbac with no drugs. I want to go threw the whole thing with my little one. I really want a homebirth but can't find a midwife who does them in my state. We thought about what we would need for one and are just unsure what to do and what problems to look for. So this time it will be a natural hospital birth I guess.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stevensmommy11
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Sherpherd's Purse tea (only after the placenta is delivered) helps with hemmoraging and raspberry leaf tea (be carefull as it can stimulate labor if you take it before you are ready to labor) is good for softening and preparing you for labor, as well as having astringent benefits and helping with hemorraging. Make the teas into ice cubes to suck on during and after labor (if the hospital allows you to do this- it's awesome they allow v-bac but many won't allow food or drink at all if there is the possibility of c-section- some however do allow ice cubes). Labor balls are awesome, I wasn't even considering one for my labor but thank God the hospital had one and showed me how to use it! Also check out www.alldoulas.com

Cloth diaper alumni, former breastfeeder, loving mother and wife, eco freak 

little_pixies
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Thanks you. Weird I thought raspberry leaf was okay threw the whole pregnancy. I have been taking it in caplets and as tea the whole time.

JessWulf84
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

It is.  I know many women that take it their whole pregnancy. 

Quoting little_pixies:

Thanks you. Weird I thought raspberry leaf was okay threw the whole pregnancy. I have been taking it in caplets and as tea the whole time.

stevensmommy11
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

There's a lot of women who do. It's just an upped risk of preterm labor if you do, so it's not suggested to take it if you have a history of preterm labor. They even put it in that Mother's Milk tea to help with lactation. I usually just said wait until right before your baby was due because even though I always told moms while I was working in the health food store "I am not a doctor, talk to your doctor" they always seemed to blank that part out.

Quoting JessWulf84:

It is.  I know many women that take it their whole pregnancy. 

Quoting little_pixies:

Cloth diaper alumni, former breastfeeder, loving mother and wife, eco freak 

little_pixies
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Ah. with my first I was two weeks late. 

Brandy85412
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I was gonna say staying at home but I see thats not an option for you. That really sucks! what about a birthing center instead of a hospital?

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Staying at home for most of your labor will help you focus and avoid drugs and interventions.

I highly recommend reading The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin and the Husband Coached Childbirth by Robert Bradley, especially for your partner but for you as well.

You might want to pack a massager and/or massage oils, a birth ball if one isn't available at the hospital, your own clothes so you don't need to wear a hospital gown, in addition to what you already have on your list.

little_pixies
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Its hard because their is no birth center around here. I am still wanting to stay at home and I do think we could do it I have a nurse friend and some other neat moms that would help but my partner still is iffy. Its an hour drive so I don't want to wait too long there is nothing between us and the biggest town is an hour away.

little_pixies
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

We live in a town but its just kind of small they do do some c-sections but they need 30mins in advanced

saltyalley1227
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM

your biggest tool is PRACTICE! Practice breathing, practice communicating to your SO. Look up the labor accupressure points on youtube and show him so he knows where to massage for added relief.  There are also relaxation videos on there for like hypnobirthing, watch those, practice them.  Make a playlist of songs you love or find soothing and play it every day while relaxing, breathing, practicing.  Practice makes perfect!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)