Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sonogram and Doppler Risks?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 16 Replies
I know that Ultrasounds are risky but I'm not sure why, exactly? DH and I just want one sonogram to find out the baby's sex around 20 weeks. I know we should wait until the baby is born, but I am so impatient, and it will help me to have SOMETHING.
Anyway, I think the risk more applies to frequent scans, but I'm just wondering where everyone stands on this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I understand there are risks I am not one to go nust for ultrasounds, but I am one that wants to find out the sex before birth so I do.  I also OWN a doppler, I had H1N1 while pregnant and before the baby could be felt moving.  I was able to sleep better at night being able to check his heartbeat..once he moved and I felt it around 16 weeks I no longer used it.  My older kids found the pregnanyc more real becuase of hearing his heartbeat every once in a while

JessWulf84
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Well it's sound waves being shot through your body.  My little one hated it and squirmed trying to get away everytime.  Not to get all conspiracy theory, but the medical community has no motivation to find out if it's unsafe because they would be eliminating their way to diagnose and treat in utero.  When xrays were used on pregnant women they knew for a while that they were causing cancer but they didn't ban them until ultrasound became available.

I think they're a great diagnostic tool that carries relatively low risk when you need to find something out and a unnecessary risk when people use it like a digital camera.  I think it's alright to have a short one to find out the gender, just keep it to a minimum.

MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I think there are risk & I dont think we will fully hear about these risk until a new method to spy on baby is on the market.. I believe I read xrays where done YEARS after they knew they where not safe- they just didnt share the info with the public until the ultrasound became available :( How can we make the best medical decisions for us/our babies if we dont know all the facts!

With DD we didnt know the sex (she wouldnt show us) & I have to say it was AWESOME finding out after birth what we had.. With this baby I didnt want to know the sex but was totally out voted by DH & family :( And the baby gladly showed his boy parts...  I really wish I would have said no to ultrasounds period, but it is hard going against the norm.. I keep hoping my midwife doesnt ask for another ultrasound..

My husband wanted a 3d done & I said absolutely NO WAY! Its one thing to do it for medical reasons but I refuse to put my kids health in jeapordy just for fun...

Do you have a feeling or a hunch to what you are having? Most of the time momma is right ... With DD I just felt she was a girl & I was very hard pressed about finding a girls name, I didnt care much about looking into boys names at all.. I was right! ........ With this pregnancy a few weeks after getting a positive I just had this urge to learn about circumcision & talk to DH about my concerns, from the start Ive been on the search for a boy name. No one was surprised when the U/S said it was a boy -- In fact if they said girl, I would not have believed them!

jaydensmomma707
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

i own a doppler and used it when i got nervous or scared, i only had 2 ultrasounds my whole pregnancy one at the beginning because i didn't know how fair along i was and 1 at 20 weeks,,, this time ill probably have much more because i am high risk now after a mc and a tubal pregnancy

_muffin_
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

They don't know how the waves that give you the image/sound effect the baby. Is it loud or hot to the baby? Does it effect thier growth? For me its important to have the 20 week anotomy scan so I can prepare for the birth appropriately. Where is the placenta? Heart and brain healthy? If i didn't know these things I wouldn't feel comfotable with my homebirth.

You have to weigh the benefits and risks yourself and make your own decision. 

dhiannian
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

This is how I feel about it too, these scans are WAAAY abused, especially when we DON'T know the long-term or even immediate effects on baby. But I also feel that the anatomy is important to rule out all of the things mentioned. I only did that one this time, and we didn't find out the sex either:)

With my first I had a dating us, the anatomy, and another to check baby because I was meauring so small. I think that's too many in a healthy normal pregnancy, def max for me unless something is actually wrong.

As far as doppler goes my mw uses that each visit to listen to baby, and my baby HATES it too, but I'd rather hear the hb then not.

Quoting _muffin_:

They don't know how the waves that give you the image/sound effect the baby. Is it loud or hot to the baby? Does it effect thier growth? For me its important to have the 20 week anotomy scan so I can prepare for the birth appropriately. Where is the placenta? Heart and brain healthy? If i didn't know these things I wouldn't feel comfotable with my homebirth.

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I agree. These are the same reasons why we get the 20 week scan.

In general, I don't think other u/s are necessary or even necessarily beneficial.

Quoting _muffin_:

jnttd
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Why not a fetoscope instead of a doppler then? My MW gives you a choice. I plan on going with fetoscope since it doesn't have any risks.

Quoting dhiannian:

This is how I feel about it too, these scans are WAAAY abused, especially when we DON'T know the long-term or even immediate effects on baby. But I also feel that the anatomy is important to rule out all of the things mentioned. I only did that one this time, and we didn't find out the sex either:)

With my first I had a dating us, the anatomy, and another to check baby because I was meauring so small. I think that's too many in a healthy normal pregnancy, def max for me unless something is actually wrong.

As far as doppler goes my mw uses that each visit to listen to baby, and my baby HATES it too, but I'd rather hear the hb then not.

Quoting _muffin_:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhiannian
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

They've never offered, and I guess I wasn't worried enough about it to ask lol. I'm pretty sure they have one though.

Quoting jnttd:

Why not a fetoscope instead of a doppler then? My MW gives you a choice. I plan on going with fetoscope since it doesn't have any risks.

Quoting dhiannian:

Quoting _muffin_:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)