Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Solids

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM
  • 20 Replies

Liam is 4 1/2 months and I am getting antsy to start solids. I really want to do ILW but i know he would love things like applesauce and oatmeal now. I bought a mesh feeder today and a straw cup that said 4+ months. he is able to take little sips from the cup. i am thinking about putting a cube of frozen bm in his mesh feeder (a friend recommended this).

should i give him a little food here and there? any ideas would be great.

I am a breastfeeding, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, baby wearing, opinionated mommy of two beautiful boys!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmgriffberg
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

i wait for my kids to tell me when they are ready to start solids. when they start grabbing at my food, opening their mouth when i take a bit, etc and are at least 4 months old i try it. i did cereal until 6 months then home made baby food

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this

No. It's important to maintain a virgin gut and wait until at least 6 months to start solids.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

Breastmilk ice cubes would be fine though :)

mommytotwonow
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

he has shown interest in food and opens his moth to an empty spoon now. he likes to try to do it himself too

mommytotwonow
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

No. It's important to maintain a virgin gut and wait until at least 6 months to start solids.

i know :o( but all the other babies get food now

ill stick with it thought i know its for the best

I am a breastfeeding, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, baby wearing, opinionated mommy of two beautiful boys!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM

breatmilk in a mesh bag is great! Especially when they are teething!

The earliest I would give solids is 6 months, but none of mine actually got solids until they were over 9 months old. They just weren't ready. Really it does come quick, no need to rush it, even if you are really excited!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Quoting mommytotwonow:

he has shown interest in food and opens his moth to an empty spoon now. he likes to try to do it himself too

thats fine practice for now :)

<3 Julia: wife of Drew, mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason 9-19-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13 Breastfeeding Moms: group Mod

NDFanatik
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

My babies have to do certain things before they get food-

1. Sit unassisted (me helping them into the sitting up position doesn't count)
  2. Lose the tongue thrust reflex
  3. Develop pincher reflex (pick things up with thumb & forefinger)
  4. Put food in thier mouth with pincher reflex

Once he can do those things, he's more than welcome to food.  Until them he can lick his lips, play with spoons, eat boob cubes, and chew on his toys :)

My youngest is 4mths now.  We're dealing with this as well. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

larissalarie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, all the other kids get formula too, but that doesn't mean it's what's best!

As far as acting interested, of course, he's curious about everything! He dosen't think "gee I want to taste that" he's curious and babies explore the world by putting things in their mouth. At that age my son was obsessed with eating rocks & mulch at the playground, but I didn't let him just cause he wanted to :-)

Think of it this way, he has the next 80-90+ years for solids what's the big rush?

Quoting mommytotwonow:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

i know :o( but all the other babies get food now

ill stick with it thought i know its for the best

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Quoting Precious333:

breatmilk in a mesh bag is great! Especially when they are teething!

The earliest I would give solids is 6 months, but none of mine actually got solids until they were over 9 months old. They just weren't ready. Really it does come quick, no need to rush it, even if you are really excited!

yup! we're doing BLW/BLS... my son is 8 months and he's just now really getting "meals" in addition to his breastmilk

Lilypie - (GmqZ)Lilypie - (4sah)

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Agreed. 

Quoting Mrs.Salz: No. It's important to maintain a virgin gut and wait until at least 6 months to start solids.  http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html  Breastmilk ice cubes would be fine though :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)