Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know natural remedies for dandruff?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have had problems with dandruff since I was a child. I can keep it under control with various dandruff shampoos (Denorex, mostly..the others aren't strong enough) but it's still only a quick fix. I can't use Denorex every night because it is pretty harsh on my hair and after only one regular shampoo, it's back. I'd love to be able to find a natural way to keep it at bay!

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM

do u also happen to have problems w/ getting yeast infections?  Sometimes it's yeast related and there you need to figure out what the trigger is  Probiotics can help if it's an internal yeast thing.

The_Doodle
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I have had them before, but it has been a very long time since I had one, probably about 7 years. I do have very sensitive skin, though.

Quoting Lynette:

do u also happen to have problems w/ getting yeast infections?  Sometimes it's yeast related and there you need to figure out what the trigger is  Probiotics can help if it's an internal yeast thing.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

don't know if this will help you or not but you could look to see if any of the tips would work for dander.  It's an old cradle cap journal I posted http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1263488/Cradle_Cap

Another spot I would look for home remedy type ideas would be this handy site http://earthclinic.com/

The_Doodle
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Hm, I wonder if the vinegar would work...I would be scared to see what it did to my hair though. Maybe I"ll try it on a day off.

1stpreggers
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM
I rinse with Apple cider vinegar and let it soak for about15 minutes then shampoo is supposed to balance your ph on your scalp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Does it affect your hair in any way? Like...more greasy, dry, whatever?

Quoting 1stpreggers:

I rinse with Apple cider vinegar and let it soak for about15 minutes then shampoo is supposed to balance your ph on your scalp

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Tea tree (melaluca) and lavender essential oil works really well. Make sure you use a certified therapeutic grade oil, others have not-so-good stuff in them, or they're just not as good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Several drops of tea tree oil mixed into several tablespoons of coconut oil.
Apply to scalp, let set a few minutes, then rinse well. 

The_Doodle
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I don't really go the natural route very often so I don't know where to find this stuff. Is tea tree oil something I could find in a regular store (like WalMart or Meijer)? Or will I have to go to a specialty store?

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I had a teacher in highschool that used to do hair(before he was a teacher).  He said that conventional dander shampoo works w/ an acid.  It burns off the top layer of the scalp.  So the next day it is starting to scab over.  Because of that scabbing the head is full of dander.  He said he could always tell right away that a person used that shampoo, could see the line left from the burn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)