Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

does location make a birth less natural?

Posted by   + Show Post
In the guidelines I judge everyone else, not really. For myself though..I feel like my birth with my son wasn't really all that natural because it was in a birth center (it was either there or the hospital) instead of home. Kwim? Like it was a "less amazing" birth because it wasn't a home birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Replies (21-24):
helema24
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

in some native societies the women woul dlabor while working and then squat to birth the baby clean up and go back to work once the baby was bundles in a carrier of sorts near their chests or on their backs...i heard stories where they would literally give birth and be back to work within an hour of birth!! now thats natural AND multi tasking!!

Quoting hillary819:

I remember reading something about a certain Native American tribe (I can't remember which one exactly) that would build "birthing huts" and women would all labor together and support each other.  I remember thinking "The first birthing center!" when I read about it, lol

CafeMom Tickers
Jules_
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM
My two natural births were at a birthing center. Of course they count!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
helema24
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM

im going to try to be natural this time in the hospital ill consent to a heplock and if i must have the antibiotics ill ask for a fast drip and only them non o fthe water they give....i want to walk about as much as i can and am makeing my own hospital gown!! you can find the pattern for one you can modify to your likes if you look up the lazy girl hospital gown pattern its fre and you print it out. print it twice and lengthen it to youl likeing then cut one pattern for the front and one for the two back sides (you have to fold for one side of the back). im makeing my own and makeing matching outfits for my kids (modified the kids gowns to make shirts fo rthem and will get matching pants so they feel special) my mom even smiled at the idea!! 

Quoting Jules_:

My two natural births were at a birthing center. Of course they count!

CafeMom Tickers
Melame68
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

i had my son at a birth center because we were evicted and had no home to have a homebirth in. i was only there for an hour and a half before i gave birth and the whole time i wanted to leave. i hated it. it wasnt the place so much as that i HAD to be there. i didnt get to choose where i gave birth and it had nothing to do with medical necessity! it was money. money ruined my birth. i spent the whole time just wanting to go to the hospital, have the baby in the car. anywhere but there. and then top it off with a midwife that kept ignoring me. and then an assistant/student mw that kept making uneccissary comments about how NOT well i was handling labor. telling me how it cant be that bad and havent you had a natural birth before? i was so upset. i spent the last hour of my birth crying and hiding in the bathroom because i was so embarrassed at how i was dealing with contractions. (i had one of those oh so lovely super crazy intense super short labors) i wouldnt even tell them when i was pushing. it really made the whole attempt at a peaceful natural birth a waste. my hospital induction/pit./ epidural nightmare that left me half numb permenantly was a better birth experience than my out of hospital birth. so stress was quite a factor.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting kailu1835:

Natural birth is how you give birth, not where. 

You can have a completely natural birth in the hospital.

I don't agree that those two sentences go together necessarily~~

But depends on what "natural" means to a person, too.    
Being in an unnatural-abnormal setting does tend to release adrenaline/do things that can affect labor.
We can't compare how that affects a labor because we can't do the very same one twice..

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)