Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ask the Expert: How to Make Wholesome Baby Food with Maggie Meade!

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM
  • 169 Replies
5 moms liked this

Would you like advice on making your own baby food, using locally grown, organic, and wholesome ingredients?  Do you have questions about how, and when, to introduce solids?  Could you use some new tips and recipes?

Help is here!

Maggie Meade, author of The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids will be here for a week, starting February 27, to answer YOUR questions!

Post your questions below, and you'll be entered to win a copy of Maggie's book.  2 moms will win!

Thanks for joining us, Maggie.

You can find Maggie's answers beginning here >>

The Official Rules

To enter the contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

Posts must be made between Friday February 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm EST and Sunday March 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm EST.  

• This contest will end on Sunday March 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm EST.  
  • Two winners will be selected randomly.
  • The winners will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Prizes must be claimed within 10 days of notice of winning.
  • Two winners will each receive a copy of "The Wholesome Baby Food Guide."

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bk_momma
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If I don't have time to cook, are Gerber Graduates the worst thing in the world for our son?? I feel bad, but my husband and I both work two jobs. If they're no good, are there healthier alternatives?

reileygrashoff
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM

how do you make the baby food fresh? do i have to cook the food?

workinm0mmy
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Which is better fresh or frozen to start with as far as vegetables and fruit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MagickalMommy
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

What are the best foods for beginners?

MagickalMommy
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Do you have any tips to get llittle one interested in eating?

MagickalMommy
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Buying all organic/locally grown can be expensive so which veggies and fruits are most important to spring for?

eevers55
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I need some different ways to cook veggies. We usually just steam them. My daughter has NEVER liked pureed veggies since we tried solids at 6 months. Now at 9 months, she LOVES peas, carrots, mushrooms, you name it, as long as it's not pureed (we just cut it small and steam it to soften it for her) I'd love to be able to cook them other ways.

knscrewse
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I've heard that you can freeze the baby food in ice cube trays or small containers, does this compromise the nutrients, would it be better to just make it fresh every few days? I've been learning about raw foods but most baby food recipes say to blanch or steam/boil first if you puree well is it really necessary to "cook" the fruits and veggies first?

bruyere123
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM
When should I introduce solids? What should be the first food to introduce? When should I start introducing textures? How far apart should I introduce different foods? When can I mix dinners together? (Ex. Spaghetti and meatballs) What is the best blender to use? How do you prepare the food? How do you save food in bulk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1BFingmomma
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Can avocado be masked with bananas?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)