Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

THIS is why I am CRUNCHY and PROUD!! with a VENT

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not afraid to admit that I am qualify for WIC. But what really gets under my skin is there "charts and standards"! My daughter was always considered underweight. As if I never fed her. I was always suggested I see the dietitian. My thought always was "are you going to come to my house and force feed my kid?" Then my son was born and was considered "overweight" while still breastfeeding! For crying out loud!!

So today I went for "certification". I have lost about 10lbs and am 14 weeks along. If you figure I have been puking for the last 10 weeks how am I suppose to gain any weight?? They checked my iron levels. I had 2 bowls of cereal this morning so I figured I was good. Even the first nurse said it was great, 11.8. Then you have to go and talk with another nurse and she started off with no, not hello, how are you, but your iron is low, what is your OBs name and contact info. I gave it to her, not really sure why she was asking. She went on to say she would be contacting my midwife b/c my iron levels were so low. SERIOUSLY!!? The next question she asked was if they had done a blood panel, I replied no, and if they did I would refuse. Her comment was, they don't need to know your HIV or hep B status. I wanted to say "not that it is any of your business, but no" I just responded with no. This midwife is the same midwife I have used for the last 5 years. Nothing has changed so why do I need another one? So when I got my paperwork it said the reason why I qualify for WIC is b/c of my "lack of or inadequate prenatal care" SERIOUSLY?

Now before some say, why bother. I qualify for $22 of fresh produce, 3lbs of cheese, 5lbs of bread, 2 cans frozen juice, 3lb cheese, 3 doz eggs, 108 oz or about 4/5 boxes of cereal, 4 jars of peanut butter (or you can get beans) 4 bottles of 64oz of juice, 5 1/2 gallons of milk and 11 cans of evaporated milk. Today alone I got over $45 worth of items for "free" to help feed my young children healthy foods. When I am breastfeeding I will also get some tuna fish.   I am going to say this as nice as I can, just b/c I am considered low income (that is the real reason we qualify for WIC) does not mean I am misinformed, stupid or ignorant in rasing my family. Please respect my decision to be CRUNCHY! 

Sorry this was so long but, I am just really irritated and I am sure glad they don't test my blood pressure, b/c mine would have been through the roof for sure!!

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
FebPenguins
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

i dont know about  other states but it is harder to get foodstamps than wic .in idaho a family of 3 can make like 3,000. dollars a month and get wic  but that same family can only make 2,000. a month(recently uprgraded from 1,900.a month) . to get foodstamps

What I meant was all the restrictions and requirements. To me the only thing you have to prove is how "poor" you are. I feel like they should be required to "get educated" with wic you have to go to what they call WIC mall where you have to "learn" about nutrition and such. Also a WIC you have to have your iron checked and talk with a nurse about your eating habits. Since I have never been on food stamps I don't know if they offer these kinds of "education" opportunities, but if they don't they should!! And I am ALL for the urine testing. If you have to test for a job why not foodstamps? But maybe that is another argument all together.

FebPenguins
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i hate going to wic. every time they makeme feel like i'm stupid and uneducated. like i dont know how to grocery shop on a budget or something. i grew up poor and i'm well aware of how to eat healthy on a budget! i have to have prayer time before i go or i'd be goin off on everyone there! and i really hate when ppl tell me i shouldnt ttc because i'm on wic. i wont even be using wic the whole time we would be allowed to. we have to have our second child now or not at all because of insurance issues so they can go kill themsevles. ok that was my rant. 

I think with gas prices people are going to look to places like wic for help! Like I said, I don't do it b/c I "want" to, we qualify and MAYBE it is keeping me off foodstamps and out of local pantry places. I also wanted to say I am glad (and sorry) that I am not the only one who feels this way

imtheonlysane1
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I am VERY lucky. Our WIC office LOVES an educated woman!!! I was very shocked about just how much they agreed with me on things - even things such as doctors pushing C Sections and hospital births not being as safe as they may seem. It was a very good visit.  I do get food stamps mainly because my oldest is Type 1 and we can NOT run out of food! He HAS to eat so many times a day and food stamps help me make sure he can. Not to mention that the price of meat is insane here...13 dollars for a small roast I mean come on! BTW FebPenguins I agree with you 100% about drug testing for food stamps! So many out there spend all their money on drugs so they can't buy food! 

The main reason I got on WIC is just in case I can't BF. I have 3 kids and have yet to BF ... I did try with my first but there was a blockage of some sorts and even after all the nurses and doctors tried every trick they knew I simply could not BF. I plan to try to BF this time BUT at least I know if I can't I will be able to afford formula which is also insanely expensive.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Honey I go through this constantly, my kidos are super super skinny.  Its funny my 3rd child JUST aged out..and somehow as a miracle he went from drastically underweight to perfect forhis height basically overnight..on a 2oz gain in 3 months.  Its crazy but they don't want to say he left the program still "underweight".

I get WIC and Food stamps.  Its what happens when they do not pay teachers enough to afford daycare so hbby needs to be a SAHD. SIGH. Hey I work fulltime and I pay my taxes.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM
I keep reading posts about bad WIC experiences. It makes me afraid to try and apply because our dd is very petite. We had enough grief from her outdated and breastfeeding ignorant doctor :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Were I in your position, I would be beyond frustrated! I could never give anyone that kind of access (control?) over my family. 

Crunchy Moms La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                        ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Obviously, I am not a fan of WIC!

Crunchy Moms La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                        ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM
I've heard someone else mention this.

Quoting JazzysWifey:

but you HAVE to have a medical qualification to qualify for WIC, so they've got to find something "wrong" with you. Everyone i've ever heard from on these boards has been told their baby is underweight or something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM

11.3 is on the lower side but not terrible.  I don't think anyone can change their minds, they sure do equal low income as stupid.  Which is definitely not always the case as with you and me when I was on WIC.

Penguin311
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this

HMMM....I have no medical qualifications - simply financial ones but I still get WIC.  I've never had a problem with them telling me there is anything medically wrong with me or my son - we go in, talk about my son's milestones over the past 3 months and get our checks and leave.  Thats about our whole appointment.....

I think they may ask if I have an 'nutrition' questions, but thats the extent of it.  Perhaps its just the people in your office?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)