Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

THIS is why I am CRUNCHY and PROUD!! with a VENT

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not afraid to admit that I am qualify for WIC. But what really gets under my skin is there "charts and standards"! My daughter was always considered underweight. As if I never fed her. I was always suggested I see the dietitian. My thought always was "are you going to come to my house and force feed my kid?" Then my son was born and was considered "overweight" while still breastfeeding! For crying out loud!!

So today I went for "certification". I have lost about 10lbs and am 14 weeks along. If you figure I have been puking for the last 10 weeks how am I suppose to gain any weight?? They checked my iron levels. I had 2 bowls of cereal this morning so I figured I was good. Even the first nurse said it was great, 11.8. Then you have to go and talk with another nurse and she started off with no, not hello, how are you, but your iron is low, what is your OBs name and contact info. I gave it to her, not really sure why she was asking. She went on to say she would be contacting my midwife b/c my iron levels were so low. SERIOUSLY!!? The next question she asked was if they had done a blood panel, I replied no, and if they did I would refuse. Her comment was, they don't need to know your HIV or hep B status. I wanted to say "not that it is any of your business, but no" I just responded with no. This midwife is the same midwife I have used for the last 5 years. Nothing has changed so why do I need another one? So when I got my paperwork it said the reason why I qualify for WIC is b/c of my "lack of or inadequate prenatal care" SERIOUSLY?

Now before some say, why bother. I qualify for $22 of fresh produce, 3lbs of cheese, 5lbs of bread, 2 cans frozen juice, 3lb cheese, 3 doz eggs, 108 oz or about 4/5 boxes of cereal, 4 jars of peanut butter (or you can get beans) 4 bottles of 64oz of juice, 5 1/2 gallons of milk and 11 cans of evaporated milk. Today alone I got over $45 worth of items for "free" to help feed my young children healthy foods. When I am breastfeeding I will also get some tuna fish.   I am going to say this as nice as I can, just b/c I am considered low income (that is the real reason we qualify for WIC) does not mean I am misinformed, stupid or ignorant in rasing my family. Please respect my decision to be CRUNCHY! 

Sorry this was so long but, I am just really irritated and I am sure glad they don't test my blood pressure, b/c mine would have been through the roof for sure!!

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Replies (51-60):
yelannun
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i hate going to wic. every time they makeme feel like i'm stupid and uneducated. like i dont know how to grocery shop on a budget or something. i grew up poor and i'm well aware of how to eat healthy on a budget! i have to have prayer time before i go or i'd be goin off on everyone there! and i really hate when ppl tell me i shouldnt ttc because i'm on wic. i wont even be using wic the whole time we would be allowed to. we have to have our second child now or not at all because of insurance issues so they can go kill themsevles. ok that was my rant. 

I'm sorry they are making you feel this way. Just bare in mind they are trying to find a "risk" so they can qualify you. WIC's income guidelines are like 185% of poverty level, so just because you qualify income wise does not mean you can't afford to pay your bills. I know it's just a bonus. I qualify for WIC and jump through their hoops for JUST the 4 lbs of brown rice, 2 lbs of dried beans, 72 oz of cereal, and $12 of fruits and veggies. It seems like a lot, but hey it's somewhere around $50 a month I don't have to use...to me it's a savings plan or coupons if you will...I just have to spend 1/2 a day every 3 months to save $150. It's seems worth it to me! 

FebPenguins
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting yelannun:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i hate going to wic. every time they makeme feel like i'm stupid and uneducated. like i dont know how to grocery shop on a budget or something. i grew up poor and i'm well aware of how to eat healthy on a budget! i have to have prayer time before i go or i'd be goin off on everyone there! and i really hate when ppl tell me i shouldnt ttc because i'm on wic. i wont even be using wic the whole time we would be allowed to. we have to have our second child now or not at all because of insurance issues so they can go kill themsevles. ok that was my rant. 

I'm sorry they are making you feel this way. Just bare in mind they are trying to find a "risk" so they can qualify you. WIC's income guidelines are like 185% of poverty level, so just because you qualify income wise does not mean you can't afford to pay your bills. I know it's just a bonus. I qualify for WIC and jump through their hoops for JUST the 4 lbs of brown rice, 2 lbs of dried beans, 72 oz of cereal, and $12 of fruits and veggies. It seems like a lot, but hey it's somewhere around $50 a month I don't have to use...to me it's a savings plan or coupons if you will...I just have to spend 1/2 a day every 3 months to save $150. It's seems worth it to me! 

As I have said, now I understand they are looking for a risk, I wish they would have explained that. Also thank you for pointing out that just b/c I qualify doesn't mean that I can't afford to pay bills. It is just so nice to be able to have that "extra" income to help with the grocery bill.

EthansMomma2010
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM

i know. i look at it the same way. only reason i put up with it. i'm going today and i know they're gonna say something stupid. he had his one year appt at exactly 12 months and they wanted him fully on table food, self feeding, and drinking all whole milk. i was like he just turned 1 like 3 days ago! thats not possible!

Quoting yelannun:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

CafeMom Tickers
FebPenguins
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM

HA HA HA! Three days~SERIOUSLY!!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i know. i look at it the same way. only reason i put up with it. i'm going today and i know they're gonna say something stupid. he had his one year appt at exactly 12 months and they wanted him fully on table food, self feeding, and drinking all whole milk. i was like he just turned 1 like 3 days ago! thats not possible!

Quoting yelannun:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

NaturalMamaCZ
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Interesting, did not know that. They didn't ask us any health questions except if we had health insurance, which we don't because we don't believe in Western medicine or the health care system maybe that's what are medical issue would be ..lol?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WIC is a federal program..they may not tell you but there is a medical issue listed for each person on WIC.  SOunds nuts but there is.

Quoting NaturalMamaCZ:

Just income being low qualifies you, at least in our state, no need for a medical issue. We did not accept wic when offered because we only eat organic foods and only raw dairy. We are way overeducated for the program :). Btw, black strap molasses for iron is phenomenal while pregnant AND it keeps the bowels moving unlike iron supplements . Good for you mama....and I am super crunchilicious too! And both my husband and I are natural health care practitioners so we really drive them nuts.

Quoting JazzysWifey:

but you HAVE to have a medical qualification to qualify for WIC, so they've got to find something "wrong" with you. Everyone i've ever heard from on these boards has been told their baby is underweight or something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yelannun
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting yelannun:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Yes, unfortunately they have somewhat of 'scripts' to convey to every parent. And I would NEVER give my littles whole milk...I don't care who's telling me to. :(

EthansMomma2010
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

yep. last week it was about him being short. well geez i'm 5'2"and his dads only 5'8" !! wth does she expect? its not like hes shrunk or anything. haha. and i dont mind giving him milk, i was raised around farm animals and have no problem with it, but he has issues with texture and wasnt even off baby food yet, so i sure wasnt gonna just give him milk. sheesh! oh well. at least on here we all kno better. 

Quoting yelannun:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting yelannun:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Yes, unfortunately they have somewhat of 'scripts' to convey to every parent. And I would NEVER give my littles whole milk...I don't care who's telling me to. :(

CafeMom Tickers
brid.coop
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I question why I stay on WIC. All the milk goes to waste because I BF and he's allergic to dairy. I plan to do baby led weaning so I'll be wasting baby food vouchers. My SO eats the cheese. I guess a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter is nice. Tuna and eggs are decent. They told me that my child and I will have severe health problems if I don't consume milk and cheese for the calcium. I told the lady I drink almond milk, which is healthier and has more calcium, and that you can get calcium from other foods. She told me I didn't know what i was talking about and that even if he is allergic, I need to eat the cheese and drink the milk anyway because it wont kill him. My jaw dropped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM
What is crunchy mean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Quoting moroccanmommy:

What is crunchy mean

Refers to "crunchy" granola, hippie~though that is kinda derogatory. Another word for "all natural" choices. You tend to go against the mainstream choices. Anti vax, circ, baby wearing, co sleeping, breastfeeding, organic foods etc. Though a person doesn't have to do all of the above and may go "crunchier" if they choose. Hope that makes sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN