Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

After some questions about carseats I decided to share my friends post.  I am an admin in carseat safety if you need help ask me, OR join Car Seat Safety!

I wanted to start a discussion about car seats, this is after all one of the most important safety devices that will help to protect your child in an event of a car crash.
Car Seat Safety is nothing to take lightly.
So let's open this discussion with some Did You knows...

DID YOU KNOW... putting your child in the car is the most dangerous thing your child does everyday?

DID YOU KNOW... motor vehicle accidents are the number 1 killer of children?

DID YOU KNOW... according to a recent NHTSA study, 3 out of 4 kids are not as secure in the car as they should be because their car seats are not being used correctly?

DID YOU KNOW... you should replace your seat if involved in a car crash?

DID YOU KNOW... you can keep your little one rear facing past the age of 1 year old and 20 pounds?  You child would be 75% less likely to die or be seriously injured and it will give your child optimal protection?

DID YOU KNOW...  the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) is now recommending children stay rear facing AT LEAST to the age of 2 years old and 30 pounds?

DID YOU KNOW... that the middle seat seat is not always the safest spot for a car seat?  Check both your car seat manual and your vehicle's manual to see where the best position for your seat  is!  Some vehicle's actually do not even allow you to have a car seat in the middle!

DID YOU KNOW... children under the age of 5 in booster seats are more likely to experience head and abdominal injuries than their harnessed counterparts?

DID YOU KNOW... children should remain harnessed until they are mature enough & big enough to sit in a booster, which is typically around age 6 or 7?

DID YOU KNOW... a child should stay in a booster at least untill the age of 8 years old OR 4 feet 9 inches?

DID YOU KNOW... children should not ride in the front seat (especially RF children), when a back seat is available, until atleast age 13?

DID YOU KNOW... you should not use both the lower anchors (aka latch) and seat belt to install your car seat?

DID YOU KNOW... you should never buy a used car seat from someone you do not know?

DID YOU KNOW... car seats expire?

DID YOU KNOW... there is not a "BEST" car seat out on the market, the BEST car seat is one that fits your child and your car. It is not a one size fits all?

DID YOU KNOW...  when rear facing the child's harness straps need to be coming at or below their shoulders and when forward facing they must come from at or above their shoulders?

DID YOU KNOW...no bulky clothing or jackets should be worn while in the car seat.  If you have to loosen the harness straps to accommodate the clothing then it is to bulky and should be removed as it is not safe!

DID YOU KNOW... you should NEVER use a seat over the weight limit?  Also they have outgrown the car seat rear facing when there is less than 1 inch of hard shell above their head and when forward facing the child has outgrown the seat when the top USEABLE harness slots are coming from behind the shoulders or the op of the child's ears are above the top of the shell (whichever comes first.

DID YOU KNOW... you should not use any aftermarket products (meaning any product that did not come with your car seat) like bundle me's, car seat cover straps, head supports, custom made covers, etc?  This will void the warranty of your seat not to mention these products just are not safe to use with your seat.

DID YOU KNOW...not all carseats fit ALL babies, some convertibles will work for newborns, others will not, some infant seats are MADE for preemies, others are not.  For example a Britax convertible can not be used with a newborn, a preemie under 5lbs can not fit in a graco safeseat.

DID YOU KNOW...you can take your child and your car seat to a Certified Car Passenger Safety Tech to have your seat properly installed.  They will teach and show you how to do it yourself as well!  They will also show you how to buckle your child up safely as well :)  You can find a CPST in your area at: http://seatcheck.org

-By La-Belle-Vie (Candice)

So let's start the conversation, do you have any questions about any of the Did You Know's? Have a question in general? Do you need a car seat recommendation? Anything just ask! Also you can join the Car Seat Safety Group, just click on my siggy, as well to help with any and all of your questions or concerns or just join to lurk and read the info in the group!

Photobucket

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Boy or girl, or gender neutral?

Do you want an infant seat or a convertible?

Are their other seats in the vehicle to be considered?

WHat vehicle?

Quoting MissMia22:

Not too many questions from me other then can you help me pick out the new baby's seat? lol 

MissMia22
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Not sure yet on the first 2 questions and My 3yo is in a frontier and we are currently in a 2004 stratus.  It WILL be installed with LATCH and I am kind of leaning more towards a aconvertible...but I am due in October so I am also considering a bucket because then I can cover the baby instead of taking her (we are all hoping for a girl lol) out and carrying her...I live in Kansas so it doesnt get uber cold but it gets pretty dang cold..

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHat vehicle?

Quoting MissMia22:

Not too many questions from me other then can you help me pick out the new baby's seat? lol 

CafeMom Tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The manuals say these things.  But most moms look quickly at it or not at all..most people do not even know where there manual IS.

Vinegar should be fine as long as not soaking it.

For your 6 year old, if you really want to keep harnessed a Frontier 85 by Britax is the way to go, height is the talles on the market and it becomes a booster.  HOw long is her torso..from butt to shoulder?

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

Really? I've washed the cover of my old infant seat in the washer.... I guess i wasn't supposed to do that... lol

Do the tags say these things?

I'm guessing then that you would wash it by a cloth/sponge in stead then?

I do use Vinegar on the straps of all my carseats (when i have a chnce to wash them)  Is that ok?   or no?

I have a Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 convertable carseat for my 2 year old 30 lb Son and a Sunshine Kids Radian XT for my 6 year old 42 lbs daughter. She is still harnessed in that. I want to keep her harnessed until she can no longer fit the harness.  But i want a different car seat for my son. I do love the Radian!! I should measure my 6 year old and see if switching her to a booster is a good idea... She is just recently 6 years old (turned on Feb 22nd) and I just do not trust her in a booster with just a seat belt. If i could keep my 11 year old in a 5 point harness I'D DO IT!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

OK for infant seats...Onboard 35 and Keyfit 30

convertibles..Britax with infant insert(does not come with the seat, must order seperately), True fit premier, Momentum 65, Myride 65

You can wear baby and that would keep baby warm for sure!

Quoting MissMia22:

Not sure yet on the first 2 questions and My 3yo is in a frontier and we are currently in a 2004 stratus.  It WILL be installed with LATCH and I am kind of leaning more towards a aconvertible...but I am due in October so I am also considering a bucket because then I can cover the baby instead of taking her (we are all hoping for a girl lol) out and carrying her...I live in Kansas so it doesnt get uber cold but it gets pretty dang cold..

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHat vehicle?

Quoting MissMia22:

VintageWife
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM
I knew these :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew all of them but I wish more people knew about carseat safety.

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM
4 moms liked this
Did you know you are never supposed to put a carseat on top of a shopping cart? The clip that attaches the seat to the base is ONLY intended to clip to the base. Clipping it to a shopping cart can damage the clip, making is unsafe to use in the car. It can also cause the cart to become top-heavy, making it more likely to topple with your child in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

This is very informative thank you!

helema24
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM

yup it makes me wanna smack the companies cause the carseat cover tag says machine wash wram or cold delicate tunble dry low or air dry depending on the seat.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

The manuals say these things.  But most moms look quickly at it or not at all..most people do not even know where there manual IS.

Vinegar should be fine as long as not soaking it.

For your 6 year old, if you really want to keep harnessed a Frontier 85 by Britax is the way to go, height is the talles on the market and it becomes a booster.  HOw long is her torso..from butt to shoulder?

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

Really? I've washed the cover of my old infant seat in the washer.... I guess i wasn't supposed to do that... lol

Do the tags say these things?

I'm guessing then that you would wash it by a cloth/sponge in stead then?

I do use Vinegar on the straps of all my carseats (when i have a chnce to wash them)  Is that ok?   or no?

I have a Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 convertable carseat for my 2 year old 30 lb Son and a Sunshine Kids Radian XT for my 6 year old 42 lbs daughter. She is still harnessed in that. I want to keep her harnessed until she can no longer fit the harness.  But i want a different car seat for my son. I do love the Radian!! I should measure my 6 year old and see if switching her to a booster is a good idea... She is just recently 6 years old (turned on Feb 22nd) and I just do not trust her in a booster with just a seat belt. If i could keep my 11 year old in a 5 point harness I'D DO IT!

CafeMom Tickers
isell_avon
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN