Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

After some questions about carseats I decided to share my friends post.  I am an admin in carseat safety if you need help ask me, OR join Car Seat Safety!

I wanted to start a discussion about car seats, this is after all one of the most important safety devices that will help to protect your child in an event of a car crash.
Car Seat Safety is nothing to take lightly.
So let's open this discussion with some Did You knows...

DID YOU KNOW... putting your child in the car is the most dangerous thing your child does everyday?

DID YOU KNOW... motor vehicle accidents are the number 1 killer of children?

DID YOU KNOW... according to a recent NHTSA study, 3 out of 4 kids are not as secure in the car as they should be because their car seats are not being used correctly?

DID YOU KNOW... you should replace your seat if involved in a car crash?

DID YOU KNOW... you can keep your little one rear facing past the age of 1 year old and 20 pounds?  You child would be 75% less likely to die or be seriously injured and it will give your child optimal protection?

DID YOU KNOW...  the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) is now recommending children stay rear facing AT LEAST to the age of 2 years old and 30 pounds?

DID YOU KNOW... that the middle seat seat is not always the safest spot for a car seat?  Check both your car seat manual and your vehicle's manual to see where the best position for your seat  is!  Some vehicle's actually do not even allow you to have a car seat in the middle!

DID YOU KNOW... children under the age of 5 in booster seats are more likely to experience head and abdominal injuries than their harnessed counterparts?

DID YOU KNOW... children should remain harnessed until they are mature enough & big enough to sit in a booster, which is typically around age 6 or 7?

DID YOU KNOW... a child should stay in a booster at least untill the age of 8 years old OR 4 feet 9 inches?

DID YOU KNOW... children should not ride in the front seat (especially RF children), when a back seat is available, until atleast age 13?

DID YOU KNOW... you should not use both the lower anchors (aka latch) and seat belt to install your car seat?

DID YOU KNOW... you should never buy a used car seat from someone you do not know?

DID YOU KNOW... car seats expire?

DID YOU KNOW... there is not a "BEST" car seat out on the market, the BEST car seat is one that fits your child and your car. It is not a one size fits all?

DID YOU KNOW...  when rear facing the child's harness straps need to be coming at or below their shoulders and when forward facing they must come from at or above their shoulders?

DID YOU KNOW...no bulky clothing or jackets should be worn while in the car seat.  If you have to loosen the harness straps to accommodate the clothing then it is to bulky and should be removed as it is not safe!

DID YOU KNOW... you should NEVER use a seat over the weight limit?  Also they have outgrown the car seat rear facing when there is less than 1 inch of hard shell above their head and when forward facing the child has outgrown the seat when the top USEABLE harness slots are coming from behind the shoulders or the op of the child's ears are above the top of the shell (whichever comes first.

DID YOU KNOW... you should not use any aftermarket products (meaning any product that did not come with your car seat) like bundle me's, car seat cover straps, head supports, custom made covers, etc?  This will void the warranty of your seat not to mention these products just are not safe to use with your seat.

DID YOU KNOW...not all carseats fit ALL babies, some convertibles will work for newborns, others will not, some infant seats are MADE for preemies, others are not.  For example a Britax convertible can not be used with a newborn, a preemie under 5lbs can not fit in a graco safeseat.

DID YOU KNOW...you can take your child and your car seat to a Certified Car Passenger Safety Tech to have your seat properly installed.  They will teach and show you how to do it yourself as well!  They will also show you how to buckle your child up safely as well :)  You can find a CPST in your area at: http://seatcheck.org

-By La-Belle-Vie (Candice)

So let's start the conversation, do you have any questions about any of the Did You Know's? Have a question in general? Do you need a car seat recommendation? Anything just ask! Also you can join the Car Seat Safety Group, just click on my siggy, as well to help with any and all of your questions or concerns or just join to lurk and read the info in the group!

Photobucket

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (51-60):
MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Yes, one or the other. And the better choice is the one that gets the best install. This will be different with different seats in different cars.

Quoting kailu1835:

I have a question about the latch... does this mean that only the latch OR the seatbelt should be used?  Which is the better choice?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

YE one or the other NOT both.  Neither is better, whichever you can get the best install with.  LATCH is made to make installs easier and faster but thats not always the case for some cars and carseats.  WHen forward facing the top tether should ALWAYS be used if possible..even with seatbelt install.  AND latch has a limit..some cars/carseats are 40lbs, some are 48lbs

Quoting kailu1835:

I have a question about the latch... does this mean that only the latch OR the seatbelt should be used?  Which is the better choice?

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM

We are rear facing and plan to until he is too big.

At 12 months he about 24 lbs and 13 inches from butt to the top of his shoulder. He's pretty average right now but given our genetics we anticipate him to be on the tall, skinny side as he gets bigger.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Are you RFing or FFing? You should be able to get a seat that RF then FF til ready for booster time, but don't get one that converts to a booster because those don't tend to fit well.

Whats his weight? Can you measure his torso from butt to shoulder?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

What car seat would you recommend for a 1 year old who is on the tall side?  He's currently in a Safety First Intera (it was a gift) but we are looking to buy something else. Something under $200 would be preferable.

We have a Dodge Durango, bench seats that fit two across, and will need to add a second carseat to the bench in a year or so.

Is it a reasonable expectation that this carseat will last until he is ready for a booster? We'd really like to minimize the number of carseats we need to buy.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Truefit premier or radians are your best best I think...though a Momentum 65 would be great and is most likey your lowest priced..google them

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

We are rear facing and plan to until he is too big.

At 12 months he about 24 lbs and 13 inches from butt to the top of his shoulder. He's pretty average right now but given our genetics we anticipate him to be on the tall, skinny side as he gets bigger.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Are you RFing or FFing? You should be able to get a seat that RF then FF til ready for booster time, but don't get one that converts to a booster because those don't tend to fit well.

Whats his weight? Can you measure his torso from butt to shoulder?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

What car seat would you recommend for a 1 year old who is on the tall side?  He's currently in a Safety First Intera (it was a gift) but we are looking to buy something else. Something under $200 would be preferable.

We have a Dodge Durango, bench seats that fit two across, and will need to add a second carseat to the bench in a year or so.

Is it a reasonable expectation that this carseat will last until he is ready for a booster? We'd really like to minimize the number of carseats we need to buy.

EthansMomma2010
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM

i knew all of these. i did turn my 18 mo old around in DH's car, because you cant get a safe install with the carseat RF in his car and i cant afford a 2nd new one. but 99% of the time he is in my car rearfacing in a britax roundabout 55 and he is totally fine with it. 

Did you know you shouldnt turn your kid around just because they whine a little?

had to add that cuz my friends use that as an excuse to turn them around. they say it helped but i have my doubts. will they just unharness them when they whine about that?

MyIslandGirls
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I heard.. and this info is more than a few years old... so I'm not sure how accurate it is now... but, i heard that you should really go by WEIGHT for the most part in car seats.  I had one nurse thell me that it's safer to break your child's legs in an accident then to break thier neck.

If they aren't HEAVY enough to be move on to the next seat up.. then they should stay in the one they have regardless of how long they are.

I'm slightly confused on this stuff.. because now length does matter.. i mean if your child's head is abover the seat it'self, they are no longer safe.

My son is currently 30 lbs and approx. 35 inches (give or take a moving 2 year old!!) so he's forward facing now in his Eddie Bauer 3 in 1. We have used this carseat since his birth.  but i hate the damn thing. Hubby bought it with out me being there (he's done this TWICE now) and only bought it because it was on sale. (GRR)  Anyways....

We drive a 2001 pontiac sunfire (4 door) and have 3 kids in the back.. 2 are still in carseats.. so we need a slimmer careseat in order to fit every one. my oldest (who is 11) is SQUISHED back there and is unable to seat properly because of the carseats.

We are in the process of buying a new car, but have to save up for it. It's just nuts right now. I want to move my son to a different carseat.. the Radian if possible but i don't want to loose the 5 point harness for my now 6 year old.

ALSO! I have a friend who has two boys (ages 4 years and  20 months old) and the 4 year old is in a booster using just the seatbelt and the 20 month old boy is always in his covertable seat forward facing with a huge jacket on and the straps are loose.  I've tried to explain to her that the chest belt has to be up closer to his armpit (by his nipples) but she just doesn't do it.

How do i tell her that she's putting her kids in danger everytime she puts them in thier seats?

I'm not sure how heavy/tall the 4 year old is... He's shorter than my 6 year old for sure  i know he shouldn't be in a booster.. and i have no idea why she put him in one.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I heard.. and this info is more than a few years old... so I'm not sure how accurate it is now... but, i heard that you should really go by WEIGHT for the most part in car seats.  I had one nurse thell me that it's safer to break your child's legs in an accident then to break thier neck.well height is important too, but the number they say for height is more of a guideline because torsos differ, its usually a 1-2 inch fromt he top of the shell rule instead of set number.

If they aren't HEAVY enough to be move on to the next seat up.. then they should stay in the one they have regardless of how long they are.welllll not true exactly.

I'm slightly confused on this stuff.. because now length does matter.. i mean if your child's head is abover the seat it'self, they are no longer safe.yeah for SURE! its a 1 inch rule for MOST carseats..there are a few that have set limits safety first complete air says 40 inches max RFing height, but most are a guideline as far as height

My son is currently 30 lbs and approx. 35 inches (give or take a moving 2 year old!!) so he's forward facing now in his Eddie Bauer 3 in 1. We have used this carseat since his birth.  but i hate the damn thing. Hubby bought it with out me being there (he's done this TWICE now) and only bought it because it was on sale. (GRR)  Anyways....I hate that seat too! At his age and weight he would be MUCH safer RFing too.  Does yours harness to 40 or 50lbs? If its 40lbs be aware that the top(tallest) setting for the harness can not actually be used!

We drive a 2001 pontiac sunfire (4 door) and have 3 kids in the back.. 2 are still in carseats.. so we need a slimmer careseat in order to fit every one. my oldest (who is 11) is SQUISHED back there and is unable to seat properly because of the carseats.Get a radian...its seriously narrow!! Diono is another name for the radians

We are in the process of buying a new car, but have to save up for it. It's just nuts right now. I want to move my son to a different carseat.. the Radian if possible but i don't want to loose the 5 point harness for my now 6 year old.radians could possibly harness your 6 year old.  What is she/he in now?

ALSO! I have a friend who has two boys (ages 4 years and  20 months old) and the 4 year old is in a booster using just the seatbelt and the 20 month old boy is always in his covertable seat forward facing with a huge jacket on and the straps are loose.  I've tried to explain to her that the chest belt has to be up closer to his armpit (by his nipples) but she just doesn't do it.

How do i tell her that she's putting her kids in danger everytime she puts them in thier seats?you can send her actual info and explain that you just care about her kids so much that you want her to know

I'm not sure how heavy/tall the 4 year old is... He's shorter than my 6 year old for sure  i know he shouldn't be in a booster.. and i have no idea why she put him in one.well 4 and 40lbs COULD be safe, if they sit still 100% of the time.  I prefer 6 and 40lbs as the limit personally.

MyIslandGirls
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM

My 6 year old Daughter is currently in a Radian XT.. before they changed thier name to Diono.. We got the radian because of the space issue in the car. and I do love the radian!

I know that my 6 year old is at least 42 lbs.. I'm not sure her height though.... I haven't measured her lately.

I wanna BURN the stupid Eddie Bauer!! lol

My eddie Bauer harnesses to 40 lbs..When we had him rearfacing in it I had to have the passenger seat slid all the way forward in order to accomodate it...Just stupidity all around.  The major issue is the fact that our car doesn't fit us anymore and hasn't in YEARS.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I heard.. and this info is more than a few years old... so I'm not sure how accurate it is now... but, i heard that you should really go by WEIGHT for the most part in car seats.  I had one nurse thell me that it's safer to break your child's legs in an accident then to break thier neck.well height is important too, but the number they say for height is more of a guideline because torsos differ, its usually a 1-2 inch fromt he top of the shell rule instead of set number.

If they aren't HEAVY enough to be move on to the next seat up.. then they should stay in the one they have regardless of how long they are.welllll not true exactly.

I'm slightly confused on this stuff.. because now length does matter.. i mean if your child's head is abover the seat it'self, they are no longer safe.yeah for SURE! its a 1 inch rule for MOST carseats..there are a few that have set limits safety first complete air says 40 inches max RFing height, but most are a guideline as far as height

My son is currently 30 lbs and approx. 35 inches (give or take a moving 2 year old!!) so he's forward facing now in his Eddie Bauer 3 in 1. We have used this carseat since his birth.  but i hate the damn thing. Hubby bought it with out me being there (he's done this TWICE now) and only bought it because it was on sale. (GRR)  Anyways....I hate that seat too! At his age and weight he would be MUCH safer RFing too.  Does yours harness to 40 or 50lbs? If its 40lbs be aware that the top(tallest) setting for the harness can not actually be used!

We drive a 2001 pontiac sunfire (4 door) and have 3 kids in the back.. 2 are still in carseats.. so we need a slimmer careseat in order to fit every one. my oldest (who is 11) is SQUISHED back there and is unable to seat properly because of the carseats.Get a radian...its seriously narrow!! Diono is another name for the radians

We are in the process of buying a new car, but have to save up for it. It's just nuts right now. I want to move my son to a different carseat.. the Radian if possible but i don't want to loose the 5 point harness for my now 6 year old.radians could possibly harness your 6 year old.  What is she/he in now?

How do i tell her that she's putting her kids in danger everytime she puts them in thier seats?you can send her actual info and explain that you just care about her kids so much that you want her to know

I'm not sure how heavy/tall the 4 year old is... He's shorter than my 6 year old for sure  i know he shouldn't be in a booster.. and i have no idea why she put him in one.well 4 and 40lbs COULD be safe, if they sit still 100% of the time.  I prefer 6 and 40lbs as the limit personally.

Candice- Mom of 3 beautiful children! K (Jan 01) E (Feb 06) M (Oct 09) In Training to be a Post Partum Doula (Ancient Comfort Doula Services) I am a babywearer, a breastfeeder, a farm living, dog loving, spiritual being. I believe that all children have the right to WHOLE bodies, and free health care. I am Canadian who is spiritually married to a Funny, Sweet Frenchman whose cooking is food for the soul. My blog is 3 Kids Then Me  Check it out.

a-new-beginning
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

what are your thoughts on a babytrend flex loc infant carseat??

scheinsr627
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM
about bulky clothes if the harness fit fitted or snug then y is it not allowed. i did not know this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN