Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth Diapers Advice Needed :

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:31 AM
  • 9 Replies

I know they can be messy, involve more laundry, have a learning curve but ultimately I know it is what is best for me and my baby... so with that, I'm trying to figure out what the heck to do!

I know there are tons of brands, some more 'liked' than others and then there is the old cloth diaper you wrap and pin. I have the old school kind given to me by older family but I have found SUNBABIES which is a bit of an off brand but they have great reviews and their bulk prices are heavenly. The problem? 

I want to do the ONE SIZE FITS ALL and ALL IN ONE Cloth Diaper but there are two sizes?! Doesn't that conflict with One Size Fits All?  I also wanted to pick a good package to have my parents buy me for their 'one big gift' but now I'm wondering if we shouldn't wait until the little guy gets here to figure out what we want.

I want to be prepared best but does that mean waiting till Stellan is here?   HELP?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kidnappedbylove
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM
I'm starting cloth diapering soon and I decided to get a small mix of my favorites. Different brands have different size guidelines, but generally the "one-size" diapers can't be used until baby is 12 lbs or so, so a lot of people get a newborn stash separate from their regular stash.

I think the best thing to do is get a couple of your favorites. I got some Flip diapers, bumgenius, thirsties, and go greens. Flips and thirties use prefolds so I also got 12 prefolds. They make so much more sense in person than reading about them online, and while I thought I would love the thirsties, the flips seem much nicer in person. I'm waiting to buy more until baby comes and I can try them out and see what I like best on an actual baby :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comptonkids
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:52 AM
I would not buy your while stash as one type and one brand....you might find out you hate the fit, or maybe you decide AIOs really arent what you like

That being said it's probably a stage diaper stage 1 fits a smaller size baby, say 8-10/15 lbs and stage 2 fits 10/15-30 lbs....or something like that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

not familiar with that brand... bump!

Momsthename0609
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM
I just use prefolds and a cover! I do have some pockets but they don't fit my chunky monkey very well and leak sometimes. The prefolds have never leaked on me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Be careful. If baby is allergic to the material( some people have had this problem) u may have to switch n it'd suck after u bought them all. The two sizes: osfa does not come close to fitting a newborn. So maybe the smaller is more of a nb size. I had to buy specifically nb sized dipes(it was expensive) cuz otherwise she might a's well have gone naked. Not familiar with that brand but I find that it's much easier if u do stick with just one type of diaper rather than a few of each because of all the sorting :/ btw, the lAundry is a piece of CAKE before u start solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM
U could also combine with diaper free if u like. (In case you're unfamiliar look up elimination communication) it's not for everyone but I love it :) good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

You might want to try a cloth diapering service for the first few weeks (plus you won't have to worry about laundry), try several different types, and see what you like before you buy a whole stash.

ParanormalSarah
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I JUST heard about the diaper-free thing the other day and I'm madly curious.... hmmmm

jess227ny
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM
One size fits all....is the SIZE but, usually doesn't fit until 12 lbs approx....all in one is the TYPE of dipe. It's all in one...cover, absorbent layer...almost like a disposable ....I love these they are super easy but take awhile to dry. My fav are the bum genius elementals. They are pricey and if you plan on using them with possibly more than one child I've heard they might get some holes from wear and wash so I also ordered the flip covers which fit similar to the BG dipes ( trim) but they are just a cover that you put and insert and/ or prefold in. If just a pee dipe you can change just the insert and reuse the flip cover....so it's also way cheaper and you don't need as many dipes. I myself just ordered my dipes. DS turned 4 months today and we should be full time cd in the next week or so. It's very overwhelming. Join cuties with cloth booties group. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)