Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

siblings during labor

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM
  • 21 Replies

So I am considering letting my three and a half year old stay during labor and delivery if he wants to. He could come and go with grandma is what we are thinking. We already know we want him in and staying with us after she comes out. So if we stay anynights othere than when I am in labor he will be with us and our hospital is fine. But now I am thinking depending on time of delivery it might help with bonding. He has been apart of every big thing our family has done and I feel why make something he is not apart of. He has watched movies with me like buisness of being born and Ina May talks... Has anyone done this or is anyone doing this?

I want to do a homebirth but I can't find a midwife in our state that does them and if I did finaly find one she would have to agree to do a VBAC. Our state just made homebirths legal in july.  So we don't have many midwives out of hospitals. I have a midwife at the hospital though. I tried talking my partner into an unasisted homebirth.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FebPenguins
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My almost three year old daughter attended our sons home birth. She did great! I loved having all of us together. I had my parents there to support her. They were in charge of her well being, a must in my opinion, if your young child attends. If "everyone" seems comfortable with it, go for it!!

lundaylove
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM

my daughter was there for mine but her brother and sister didnt want to and that was fine. 

melindabelcher
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

We're currently planning on having our 4 yr old son at the birth center during the labor and delivery of his newest sibling. He is excited. My sister is his designated one-on-one. We are fine with his level of involvement being as much or as little as he wants. If we go into labor in the middle of the night we're probably not going to take him as we'll be home shortly after the delivery.

cpflum08
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM
We had our two DD at our home birth. Oldest was 11 and lil one was almost 3. The older one took awesome pics as the baby was coming out. And lil one jumped in the water as soon as the baby was born. My girls have the best bond with their baby sister and I'm sure it's because they got to see her born:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inkaholicj
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM
My dd was at the birth of the oldest ds. She was 2½ and did great. Both her and her brother wanted to come to their little brother's birth but they had school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM

My dd wasn't there for her brothers birth. I didn't feel she was mature enough to understand what was going on with me. She was very nervous enough knowing I was going to the hospital. When we have #3 she will be there but she'll be older and much more able to handle it. Plus it will be at home which will make it less traumatic for all.

jess227ny
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM
We prepared DS who was almost 4 and we were open to let him choose what he was comfortable with when the time came....it was a HB...he witnessed everything, helped deliver placenta and cut his brothers cord with daddy....his brother is 4 months and he still loves hearing the birth story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NatashaOlivia
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM
We planned to have DD with us when I had DS but my midwife was concerned towards the end of my pregnancy and he ended up being born in breech position so I chose not to have her there in the end. As soon as DS arrived we let her in to see him and bond.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamasluvin
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

My 5 yr old daughter and 5 yr old step daughter were there for my youngest's birth in 2008. My only complaint is that during the actual labor when I wanted my hubby there, he couldn't help because the girls took so much attention. I have no family close...not that it wouldn't have mattered my family isn't close like that. None of my friends were available to help with the kids...I know it was tough. This time however I do have people I know and I told my husband that it will just be us two. I want him to enjoy this as much as me, and not have to worry about kids and their hyper activity or boredom :) My daughters still talk about it, and it was exciting. I just want some me and hubby time with this one

CafeMom Tickers
peanut06
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I wish we had had dd there when her little brother was born (she was 23 months).  She had been my only companion for the previous 3 hours of labor, and I delivered very quickly and easily.  This time, she'll be 4 when the baby comes and I will definitely have her in the room (with my mom to keep up with her--and it will be the first time I've let my mom in the room, too...).  DS will be 2 years, 3 months when the baby comes, and I'm hoping he'll be ok with being there, too.  We have time to prepare him, as I'm only 7 weeks right now :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)