Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my poor poor baby has croup

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

i am pretty sure that my nearly 7 month old baby has croup and i was wondering if there were any other mothers out there that have had experience with it and what worked for them.  my poor little guy is so sick i feel so bad for him. I have been giving him infant tylanol every 4 hour to keep his fever down and steaming the bathroom up and going and sitting in there for 10 to 15 minutes. i also have a humidifyer going constantly.  anything anyone else can suggest that worked well for them??

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Char07
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Cold air for a few minutes can help depending on temp... It's common for the coughing to get the worst during the night, parents to leave to go to the hospital and the cool night air to calm the cough by the time they get to the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehargval
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
That happened to me. If it's not too cold I would go outside for a minute or open a window.

Quoting Char07:

Cold air for a few minutes can help depending on temp... It's common for the coughing to get the worst during the night, parents to leave to go to the hospital and the cool night air to calm the cough by the time they get to the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WackadooMom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Cold air worked for us too. Bundle up the baby and go for a walk or a ride in the car with the windows down. If he is really struggling to breathe take him to the ER. They gave my son cool canned Oxygen and that really helped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Both of my kids get the croup and the only thing that helps is a nebulizer.

RochelleFS
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM
When we steam w/ the shower, we alternate hot and cold. I plug the tub then let it run hot till it's good and steamy. Sit in the steam 10 minutes then turn the water cold for another 10. Sometimes we will do this several times if needed. You could also add eucalyptus EO to the water w/ the steam. I also use a combo of tea tree and lavender EO sometimes, esp. When they need help calming. Best wishes, sending healthy healing vibes your way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Poor boy :(

Sarah725
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I hope he feels better soon! 

eleechick
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM
thank you all so much he is doing a little better today but it sure was a fight yesterday keeping his fever down and keeping him comfortable and slept a lot better so i got to sleep too
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Hope he feels better and that you are both able to get some sleep :(

MamaPrime
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Bundle him up and take him outside if it is cool where you are. The cold air can help reduce the inflammation in his airways. Mine had it in the summer- we stood infront of the open freezer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)