Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My NIP story

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM
  • 24 Replies
Today, I went to a early dinner with my parents and my 2 year old and 8 month old at a sit down restaraunt. While we were there our section was pretty empty, other than a family that also had a baby the same age as mine. Toward the end of our meal, my 8 month old wanted to nurse. I use a cover because I'm modest about my body. My son was having a great time messing with the cover as a party of about 10 came into our section. They all gave me looks of disgust, while giving the baby in the table next to ours smiles. That baby was sucking on a bottle. You would have thought that I was having my own personal wet T shirt contest by the way kept looking at me. I started a little mantra in my head "that baby can eat at the table and so can mine". With my last baby, I would have run to the bathroom or car to nurse, whenever something like that happened.
I guess I just needed to vent because I didn't have the strength to give those people dirty looks back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sreichelt26
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Ugh. Sorry they were so rude. Stare 'em down next time with "so?" look on your face :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovellskt
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I'm sorry you had to deal with such ignorance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh I'm sorry thats so ridiculous. People are crazy and backwards!! I'm sorry you had a bad experience! Good for you for not letting them scare you away! Hold your head up.... You never know who is watching and you may inspire someone else to nor be scared to breastfeed. Many moms don't due to feeling that they can't NIP. Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammanoel
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Way to go for staying there despite dirty looks!  I hated when people looked at me like I was doing something awful when I nursed in public- also super modest and use a blanket or cover.  

JazzysWifey
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
People suck! Glad you didn't move ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I am so sorry. I hope these people will not prevent you from nursing the next time in public.  And yes "your baby does have the right to eat at the table!" Great job! Keep it up, and I am very proud of you!!

RochelleFS
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM
I agree! Good for you mamma!

Quoting FebPenguins:

I am so sorry. I hope these people will not prevent you from nursing the next time in public.  And yes "your baby does have the right to eat at the table!" Great job! Keep it up, and I am very proud of you!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

If it was me I would have waved and smiled and made them feel like idiots.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Way to go mama!

MamaPrime
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I'm sorry they made you feel awkward and I'm sorry they didn't give you the same smiles they gave the other baby. I know this is just the web, but I'm sending you a smile for doing it! :) 

I smile at all moms I see NIP. It's a little act of encouragement that I think a lot of women need. I know I sure appreciate it when another knowing mom smiles at me when they catch me nursing our somewhere. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)