Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My midwife just told me that I tested + for Group B Strep. I'm trying to do research on it  because I really know nothing about it, I didn't have to deal with it when I was pg with DD.

I'm planning a waterbirth at a freestanding birth center and if I opt to go with IV antibiotics can I still be in the water? Also my midwife will have to get a RX from a Dr at the nearby hospital(a great place that cooperates with the birth center) for the antibiotics and then a nurse midwife will have to be present to administer them during labor. I'm upset because I didn't want to be hooked up to anything while in labor, and my insurance hasn't covered any procedures(Rhogam shot, and other stuff) I've had to do at this hospital because it's in another state. We've been paying out of pocket to have this birth at the center because it means that much to us to have it this way. But now we're faced with the costs of antibiotics, how much is that gonna be??????

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Replies (11-19):
orangey
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I was gbs positive with my daughter, but was fully dilated and pushing by the time I got to the hospital. Since there wasn't enough time to get the antibiotics, they did a blood test on her instead. Maybe ask if they can do the test on your baby after birth instead if you're trying to avoid antibiotics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monadnockmama
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

A birth center is waaaaaay cheaper than a hospital birth. And it's something we financially planned on before we got pregnant because it's important to us. My Dh and I cut out a lot of extras that aren't neccessary in order to be able to afford things that are, in our opinion, better and healthier for our personal lives.  But we're not rich people, it's not nice to be faced with extra expenses. It's stressful for us just like it is with other families faced with unexpected issues.

Quoting midjet117:

group B strep is very common. they test bc it affects the baby. If the baby gets it, it could be bad. Must be nice to be able to piss away all that money.

dsebastian23
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Get them cause it could really harm the baby....

lilmonkeysmum
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM
I agree with this. You could take vitamin C and echinecea as well. I did this and retested negative.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

antibiotics arent effective in labor, I would do garlic insert vaginally, and eat garlic, take probiotics, and retest 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM
I believe the antibiotics have to run so many hours before pushing so it shouldnt effect the actual birthing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM
^^ that made sense in my head anyway
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Minga88
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

You can still have a waterbirth being GBS+ and having antibiotics... I was also +. I didn't want the antibioitcs, but then at the last minute changed my mind cause the nurse were scaring me with horror stories... I ended up with 7 doses of penicillin!! I Also... sat in vinegar tubs and took lots of probioitcs but was scared to insert garlic up there cause it burns.

Hyman
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I was gb + when I got tested. Not sure if you know, but it can come and go.

I opted to have antibiotics bc I was all freaked out. I had a hospital birth. I labored for 2 hrs in water and gave birth on my hands and knees with my arms over a yoga ball. I was all natural and delivered in 15 minutes.

I didn't even get all the antibiotics and so the protocall was to keep us 48 hrs. And I hated that.

My son got sick with some virus 3 weeks later and I'm sure it was bc I had antibiotics and they killed the good bacteria that keeps us healthy.

Next time, I will not have the antibiotics

All that being said. I was fine to move around and labor in water. I don't even remember feeling or being bothered with the IV ( but it did burn a little)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlocsgirl
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

My miswife said she's only had one mom ask for antibiotics for GBS and she's seen no issues. One day you can test +, the next you can test -. I will refuse antibiotics if I test positive. If you are worried about it, you can always ask about a Hibiclens sponge. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN