Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bug problem in my veggie garden.

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
Im,not sure if this is the right group but I hope someone can help me. I have an organic veggie and herb garden and I have buggs eating away at it. If I dont do something soon I wont have a garden at all. They already killed my spearment,plant. Is there anything I can do at home without a lot of money or chemicals on my plants?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thundersky
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this

what bugs are they. make a dish soap water mix and spray it on your plants even under the leafs let sit for a few minuts then was it off. this will work for small bugs like aphids, with flies. do leave it for more than 30 min it will burn plant in the sun and suficate them.

peaches_04
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I had issues with white fly and tomato horn worms. I mixed a batch of habenero water (boil habeneros on the stove in water, mix with a bit of vinegar) and sprayed on the plant (and directly on the leaves the worms were eating). Turns out they don't much like hot peppers and vinegar!

arigdon4
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I can't see the bugs, just the damage but I think they're aphids

chipper87
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

lady bugs and frogs are supposed to help with pest control.

tm88rn
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I have no idea, bump.

borgen0128
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Diatomaceous earth should help. What did you use to amend the soil? It sounds like your soil may be out of balance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thundersky
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Quoting deccaf:

I had issues with white fly and tomato horn worms. I mixed a batch of habenero water (boil habeneros on the stove in water, mix with a bit of vinegar) and sprayed on the plant (and directly on the leaves the worms were eating). Turns out they don't much like hot peppers and vinegar!

be careful with vingar it can be used as a weed killer. a small ratio 1/5 should be okay.

thundersky
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Quoting arigdon4:

I can't see the bugs, just the damage but I think they're aphids

how do the plants die. do they wilt and die or dry up. aphids would be on the under side of the leaves.

mommysER2
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I found a recipe with cayenne pepper, garlic, and soap.  It didn't spray well after I shook the spray bottle, so try not to shake.  something had been munching on my basil. I sprayed my plants before we left for easter weekend and they seemed untouched when we got home.  Here are some other helpful tips I used. Still waiting on my marigold seeds to bloom.

http://www.mommyser.com/myblog/natural-bug-remedies-your-garden-your-kids-and-yourself

The link above has top natural bug remedies. The link below is the recipe for the bug spray I used all weekend.  It was a Hit!  I even sprayed my dog to prevent ticks and fleas while he frolicked in the open fields with his cousins and butterflies.

http://www.mommyser.com/myblog/my-favorite-homemade-natural-bug-repellent-babies-and-kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)