Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why choose a midwife over DR/OBGYN?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM
  • 22 Replies
3 moms liked this

Kind of a Follow Up post to "I dont fit into your freakin box nor your sheeple barn"...

Im trying to write my "Why we chose a birthing center with Midwife" and its just not coming out very good lol.. Any pointers, or what to add to this?

•  I believe birth is natural, safe & a normal life event..
  •  I want a natural birth with no pressure from Dr/Nurses to have any type of unnecessary drugs.
  •  I did not want to be hooked to monitors/IV
  •  I want the freedom to listen to my body. To not be stuck in a bed, to be able to move around freely & to eat & drink when/what I want.
  •  In the hospital interventions start when you walk in the door & they give an IV in your arm, this spirals to more interventions, possibly leading to Csection where "Dr saves the baby" - If all would have been left alone, no saving would have been needed!
  • Birthing Tub!
  •  The personal care!:  Hospital: I spend 9mo having 5-10min checkups with a Dr I will only see long enough to catch my baby, and spend my labor with nurses whom Ive never met & does not know my wants/needs. They are not there to support or encourage me, they are only there to monitor/control my labor. Birthing Center: I spend 9mo having 20min+ conversations with my Midwifes. They will be there during the labor & delivery. They are there to support & encourage me & to make sure everything is proceeding normally. They respect my wishes.  I will not have strangers caring for me or my child! My child will not leave my sight.

(If anyone knows a more resent study that would be awesome! this study is a bit out dated)

A 1998 study of 800,000 low-risk pregnant women by the Centers for Disease Control compared the outcomes of those cared for by midwives versus those receiving traditiona lOB care. The results are astounding!

The infant mortality rate was 19% lower, the neonatal mortality rate was 33% lower, and the rate of low birth-weight was 31% lower for patients under the care of a midwife versus an obstetrician. the cesarean section rate for mothers birthing with midwives averages 10%.

Researchers attributed the differences in outcome to more one-on-one time spent with patients and fewer interventions in prenatal care, labor, and birth.

Worldwide, midwives attend over 70% of births. In this approach to pregnancy and birth, the United States is far behind. Midwives in Ireland, Scotland, and England deliver more than 65% of all babies, and the proportions in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Germany exceed 85%. These countries have fewer obstetrical interventions than the US, as well as lower maternal, neonatal, and infant mortality rates and higher rates of breastfeeding.

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kidnappedbylove
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I would say the model of care and way you're treated. I had a pretty aggravating hospital birth a couple weeks ago. Everything turned out great, but I had to argue with doctors and was treated like a total pain in the ass. They complied with my wishes, but they did not respect them and I'm still a little heartbroken over it :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Don't forget to add in the use of Misoprostol in labor. It was the drug used to 'help' moms have VBACs  and ended up rupturing their uterus's killing the babies and some of the moms. It was introduced in 1999 and pulled in 2000.  I do know that Thalidomide is still being used in parts of the world too. That fantastic morning sickness medicine that caused babies to be born without limbs.

Thanks for saving us from the troubles of pregnancy and labor OB's. Couldn't of done it without you.

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Sounds good! 

Crunchy Moms La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                        ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

MixedCooke
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:26 AM

they care about the Mother as far as relaxing and supporting

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you get treated like a person with a midwife and a number with a doctor.  BTW I didn't know midwives attend over 70% of births, that's great.

MommaTasha1003
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

70% World Wide... But its less than 10% here in the US, and Im betting a large % of that number are in-hospital-midwifes, :-(  who dont get to be as hands off & natural as Birthing Center/ Home Birth Midwifes.

Now if we could get more healthy woman to want OOH births with midwifes, and get it legal in ALL states, that would be AWESOME & a huge step in the right direction!

Quoting Sarah725:

I think you get treated like a person with a midwife and a number with a doctor.  BTW I didn't know midwives attend over 70% of births, that's great.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you read Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer? She has an excellent chapter on the difference between obstetrics and midwifery.

FebPenguins
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I am just wondering if the "lack of support" you are feeling is because this is baby #2? I have been feeling a lack of support and I think it is b/c this is our 3rd. You know, we don't have baby showers for additional babies, I think moms can feel abandoned~at least I do. Plus I have had some say~without saying it: you have one of each, why would you add another.

With that said. We are all here supporting each other. Here is to hoping for less drama and more support as the time nears!!

Rumsita
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I didn't come up with this description so I can't take any credit, but someone once described it to me this way:

"OBs tend to assume something is wrong unless proven otherwise.  Midwives tend to assume that nothing is wrong unless proven otherwise."

I personally just tell people the model of care is more in line with my own personal philosophy of birth.  And then when I tell them a hospital birth is completely covered by my insurance, whereas the birth center is not covered at all, they realize how serious I am & they don't argue with me.  I really want my second go at this to be more relaxed than my hospital birth was with my first.  Basically the only thing that went according to my birth plan the first time was that I avoided a c-section.  Everything else was contrary to what I wanted.  But I was a first timer on their turf & didn't have the guts to stand up for myself enough.  I want a caregiver who is on the same page from the beginning, who I don't have to argue with in the midst of labor.

MommaTasha1003
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

No, everyone is excited the baby is coming, we will have 1 girl & 1 boy. We where blessed with a 2nd baby shower (dd is 5- so all her stuff was wrong gender/too old to reuse)...

It is the choices we are making that we have no support for.. Everyone has been questioning us on the birthing center with "what if" emergency situations arise, and the usual crap for not wanting to birth in a hospital... Then everyone is very against us leaving our son intact.. and Ive mentioned Id love to cloth diaper & everyone just gives me a nasty look..

Its like the closer we get the more I have to hear it.. I think everyone sat back & was thinking Id get PrE again, or something else that would risk me out of the MW care... Or that we would change our minds about something...

Thank You. I dont know if Id be able to stay strong with our choices if I didnt have my Natural Mommas around me to hear everyones stories & get strength from! :)

Quoting FebPenguins:

I am just wondering if the "lack of support" you are feeling is because this is baby #2? I have been feeling a lack of support and I think it is b/c this is our 3rd. You know, we don't have baby showers for additional babies, I think moms can feel abandoned~at least I do. Plus I have had some say~without saying it: you have one of each, why would you add another.

With that said. We are all here supporting each other. Here is to hoping for less drama and more support as the time nears!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)