Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

TICKS!! Natural repellent??

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM
  • 20 Replies

So apparently the ticks in Germany are AWFUL!  We've found about a half dozen ticks on our Collie and in our home since Sunday.  Does anyone have any ideas on natural ways to keep these ticks off our dog, us and out of our home?  I hate to use the chemicals that go on the dog's skin, especially with my 7month old and 3yr old.  They LOVE our dog and climb all over him all day long...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

army       teen girl          toddler boy           baby in sling

Army Wife to Jason, step-mom to Grace(11) mama to JJ(3) and Josiah(7mo)

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FebPenguins
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Do you have dryer sheets? Wrap them around the dogs collar, replace at least daily. Some swear it works...

Liz132
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I've heard if you rub fresh rosemary on their fur it will help repel ticks. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works

ArmyWife0606
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Thanks ladies! I'll try those.  I'm willing to try almost anything that keeps me from having to use those chemicals...

hapababies
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Is there a natural/holistic store near you? I saw a natural tick repellant at our store in the US.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

My MIL just told me that an amber necklace (like is used for teething) works so I'm going to try one for our dog.

Here's some info on it http://www.amberstonepets.com/ but I am planning to buy from hazelaid.com or inspired by finn because I trust their quality.

ETA: The dog apparently has to wear the necklace for a few weeks before it works, I don't remember if my MIL or the site said that.

issoaisavi5
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Good luck!  The ticks are really bad around here too.  I put the chemical stuff on our dog and there are still ticks in our house.  I don't think anything works on them (or mosquitos)!

ArmyWife0606
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I'm sure I can find one.  Germans are really into the natural way of life :)

Quoting hapababies:

Is there a natural/holistic store near you? I saw a natural tick repellant at our store in the US.

ArmyWife0606
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

hmmm..maybe I'll try that.  I love my amber necklace and I haven't had a tick on me yet.  Maybe I'll get some for the kiddos too :) :)

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

My MIL just told me that an amber necklace (like is used for teething) works so I'm going to try one for our dog.

Here's some info on it http://www.amberstonepets.com/ but I am planning to buy from hazelaid.com or inspired by finn because I trust their quality.

ETA: The dog apparently has to wear the necklace for a few weeks before it works, I don't remember if my MIL or the site said that.

alphamom26
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

If you can keep chickens, get a few guinea hens. They look like across between chickens and turkey vultures-wicked ugly, lol :) But all they eat are ticksand other bugs. They will eat hundreds of them a day.

Like I said, they ain't pretty, lol :) And all the ones I've met aren't very friendly :) But they eat TONS of ticks :)

ArmyWife0606
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Thank you!! Wish I could keep chickens. But we live on a military base in Germany, so no such luck :(  Thanks for the tip though. Maybe in the future...

Quoting alphamom26:

If you can keep chickens, get a few guinea hens. They look like across between chickens and turkey vultures-wicked ugly, lol :) But all they eat are ticksand other bugs. They will eat hundreds of them a day.

Like I said, they ain't pretty, lol :) And all the ones I've met aren't very friendly :) But they eat TONS of ticks :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)