Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Had my 1st MW appt today!

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM
  • 15 Replies
I went in 2 weeks ago for mild spotting, got a confirmed EDD then... But no official appt!

So my appt was at 9am. I get called back at 9:10 and got weighed (up 1 pound!), and then waited until 9:50 in the cold room for the MW. I am a really patient person but I was starting to get antsie!

Well she finally comes in and we start over all the genetic questions and prior pregnancy info and yada yada yada. She decides she wants to check me for toxoplasmosis (just like my past OB) due to my "exposure" being a veterinary technician. I have been around cats my entire life and have been in the field for 10yrs and as of my last pregnancy, still have never been exposed. this just shows how rare it really is from cats. She agreed its more of a exposure risk with raw meat. But I agreed saying if my insurance covered it, then I will test again. I'm already getting bloodwork, so they might as we add that in. (at lunch I called and it's not, so I am declining to test. I don't want to pay for it. It's not a concern of mine whatsoever. I will still stick my hands up cats rear ends and still clean litter boxes =P). Anywho, we then move into my questions. In MD, there are no birth centers, so I'm stuck at a hospital. But she assured me this hospital is FANTASTIC with their midwife team. The MW patients get first dibs on the 10 alternative birthing rooms. These rooms have labor tubs (not BIRTHING tubs), they have the yoga balls, the squat bars, and water monitoring systems. I do have to have a catheter placed right away for vein access if needed in an emergency, but I don't have to have an IV line as long as I am maintaining hydration orally. I'm ecstatic about that. I can use intermittent fetal monitoring, and like I mentioned earlier, they have underwater monitoring as well. The nurses at the hospital are very patient care motivated. They do not push interventions at all. They are very inclined to recommend all the alternatives first. The midwife is with me from hard labor and on. Pretty much 4cm and beyond as long as there are no other patients for them to care for, then it's split and more focus goes to the patient further along (makes sense). I can deliver wherever I want in the room besides the tub. I can deliver at the squat bar, on all fours, in the shower, or on the bed if that's what I prefer. IT'S LIKE A BIRTHING CENTER IT SOUNDS!! Minus the birthing tub.

Well then we move onto checking Squishy and doing my breast exam. She does my personal exam first. Then pulls out the doppler. I reminded her I'm retroverted and she will likely NOT hear anything, bt she attempts anyways. 5min later she gives up. Said she will try external u/s. my babies have never been seen this early on external either, but I stay quiet and let her try. 5min later she gives up again. Moves onto transvaginal. She is looking around for about 15min and still can't find Squishy. This is not uncommon for me. She FINALLY sees him waaaaay back there. He is moving and flailing and having a blast in there. Nice HB flicker. But her machine is too far out of reach to grab to snap a picture and and measure HR. she leans super far and finally draws the machine closer but she lost sight of Squishy. 5min later finally finds him again. But now all we see is the top of the head. Still dancin around. But no profile. :( so she grabs a picture anyways. :)

No measurements today, but we can tell Squishy has grown a bunch and is dancing and happy! I go back in 4 weeks (will be 14weeks) and now I'm waiting at the lab to have my blood drawn!

Oh, and seeing Squishy, I am 95% sure it's another boy. I just KNOW IT!! Strongest vibes of gender I have ever had!

Here is the top of Squishy's head!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We spent over an hour in there for my appointment!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nee86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Congratulations! Lol Squishy! I love it!
That's awesome you have all those options in how to labor. I wish I had those options at the birth center I go to!
melindabelcher
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Congrats! The hospital sounds super natural friendly :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

woohoo

RunningMom81
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

i just love that you call him Squishy :)  Congrats and wish you the best experience using a midwife - we've been blessed to have our 3 at a birthing center and maybe will have this 4th one at home :)

congrats again!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

YAY congrats!

Did the midwife say you have to have a catheter? thats not the same as a Hep lock thing for the IV, the catheter is the tube put in to catch urine, basically means you dont ahve to pee during labor but you would be unable to get up and move and labor in many position comfortably.

iMommyDi
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:27 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I used the term catheter. A catheter can mean many things. A catheter is just something to keep anything open. A urine catheter, an IV catheter, an epidural catheter.....

I was asking about waiting on an IV. She even showed me (on her arm) where they would get vein access when i got there.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YAY congrats!

Did the midwife say you have to have a catheter? thats not the same as a Hep lock thing for the IV, the catheter is the tube put in to catch urine, basically means you dont ahve to pee during labor but you would be unable to get up and move and labor in many position comfortably.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Great appointment, it's nice she tried so hard to get a picture of squishy!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Congrats!

RunningMom81
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

the part that goes into the vein is also called a 'catheter'. maybe the midwife just called it that vs a urinary catheter.

JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM
i love "squishy" lol, congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN