Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pitocin Standard Procedure???

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
  • 37 Replies
This is my first post in this group... Just been lurking :)
So, I had a prenatal check up today where I discovered that it is the local hospitals procedure to give all laboring women Pitocin. My midwives exact words were "They dont bombard you with it, but you are in a medical environment." WTF? I am just really disappointed because the whole reason that I picked this practice was because it was a mixture of doctors and midwives, and I really want the most natural course possible but have immediate access to medical intervention IF IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY. Ugh. I just feel like I am having to fight so hard to have a natural pregnancy, it seems so wrong. I am pregnant for goodness sales not suffering from some disease. I was freaking created to have babies! I have done it twice without any issues. :/
Sorry I just needed to vent. Now I am going to research to see what my other options may be. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormystar15
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I would refuse the pitocin and if they dont let you id find a different hospital. if your having a perfectly normal labor there should be no need for pitocin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I would run for the hills. Find a birth center or homebirth midwife. There is no need for pit ugh
hugs girl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

home birth or a birthing center with a midwife. or just flat out refuse it. its hard. i had a natural birth in a hospital with my daughter but i switched drs 4 times (one was at 36 weeks and i delivered at 39) and had a doulah(also advise you have one) and it was a fight the whole time. the dr i ended up keeping was a GREAT dr. my dd was a vbac and he let me eat anything i wanted and do intermediate monitouring (for a hospital vbac that is almost unheard of).  good luck mama. pm me if you need any advice or just need to chat :)

nkkk07
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM
My midwife said my best bet would be to stay home as long as possible... And the closest birth centers to me is about 2 hrs away in Tallahassee.... Ugh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nee86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Stay at home as long as possible!
Let's face it, a lot of moms now days run to the hospital at the very first sign if labor. Hospitals are businesses. If the bed is taken by the same person for X amount if days/ hours for one person to naturally labor they are not making as much money as possible.
AmyG1976
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

NONONONONO legally even as a patient you don't have to consent to all their procedures. they cant tell you to leave they cant refuse to see you. Per the EMTALA (emergany medical treatment and active labor act)  ask question everything before they do it. what why ect ect and dont be afraid to say NO as well as when you check in make sure the staff knows what you DONT want. I too though even though I know this would be looking for a different hospital after making phone calls and visiting this hospital to be sure they are as pushy or doing things without concent as you were told they were. I also if I had to go their would make sure they know my lawyer will be contacted if they DO ANYTHING without my concent.  I never even signed the forms when I checked in saying they could do things like c sections I said I will sign if and when it is NEEDED.... btw read the paper work they shove in your face and say sign when you get into a room make sure you understand it or dont sign it.

sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Refuse the pitocin - if they give it to you anyway, you can sue.

Refuse an IV while you're at it - they can't give you pitocin if there isn't a needle in your arm.

nkkk07
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM
I thought you at least had to allow them to give you saline? Or have an IV in place?

Quoting sreichelt26:

Refuse an IV while you're at it - they can't give you pitocin if there isn't a needle in your arm.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

ETA: you can refuse it altogether, but my midwife says it makes the nurses antsy, so she suggested thte lock

you can have the saline lock - so the needle is in place but nothing is "plugged in"

Quoting nkkk07:

I thought you at least had to allow them to give you saline? Or have an IV in place?

Quoting sreichelt26:

nkkk07
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Cool thanks!

Quoting sreichelt26:

ETA: you can refuse it altogether, but my midwife says it makes the nurses antsy, so she suggested thte lock

you can have the saline lock - so the needle is in place but nothing is "plugged in"

Quoting nkkk07:

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)