Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pitocin Standard Procedure???

Posted by   + Show Post
This is my first post in this group... Just been lurking :)
So, I had a prenatal check up today where I discovered that it is the local hospitals procedure to give all laboring women Pitocin. My midwives exact words were "They dont bombard you with it, but you are in a medical environment." WTF? I am just really disappointed because the whole reason that I picked this practice was because it was a mixture of doctors and midwives, and I really want the most natural course possible but have immediate access to medical intervention IF IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY. Ugh. I just feel like I am having to fight so hard to have a natural pregnancy, it seems so wrong. I am pregnant for goodness sales not suffering from some disease. I was freaking created to have babies! I have done it twice without any issues. :/
Sorry I just needed to vent. Now I am going to research to see what my other options may be. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
peanut06
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

To get around the paperwork at the hospital, if an assisted homebirth or birth center aren't possible where you live and you don't feel confident enough to go unassisted, you could request a walk-through, get the paperwork ahead of time.  Take the time to read it carefully, crossing out and initialing anything questionable, adding a line about something like "I, or my proxy (dh?), will give permission for each procedure on an informed, as needed basis only."  Make a copy, that way when you arrive in labor, all you'll have it ready to just date it then.  I see it as pre-registering with benefits :)  

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
Melame68
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

you can refuse anything and everything.

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Quoting jconney80: This! Unfortunately its all too common!

Quoting CjEmmemommy: I would run for the hills. Find a birth center or homebirth midwife. There is no need for pit. ugh. hugs girl

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

kidnappedbylove
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM
This. They can't force you to allow pitocin, but as someone who had to go against doctor's advice during my labor 2.5 weeks ago, it's super stressful to be surrounded by people who disagree with you and aren't supportive of your decisions while you're trying to labor. Go find a real midwife who won't say things like policy, procedure, or medical environment. I had a midwife literally storm out of the delivery room because I didnt want to be forced onto my back. I just wanted to be slightly turned to the side. She said the person delivering the baby would be the one calling the shots. I said I completely agree, and that person would be me. She stormed out shouting to get the OB cause she didn't want to deal with me. The title midwife doesn't always mean they're following the midwifery model of care. Go find a midwife that will support you and your choices.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I would run for the hills. Find a birth vented or homebirth midwife. There is no need for pit ugh

hugs girl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Wow I am sorry you had to deal with that. I have had a homebirth and medicated hospital births. After having both I don't know how any gets a natural birth at the hospital, so much work just to get people to let you do what you need to do!!! Ugh
OP it doesn't sound to me like your midwife is actually a midwife with natural ideals. If you want a natural birth you must have a support team and your birth team is a large part!
Good luck

Quoting kidnappedbylove:

This. They can't force you to allow pitocin, but as someone who had to go against doctor's advice during my labor 2.5 weeks ago, it's super stressful to be surrounded by people who disagree with you and aren't supportive of your decisions while you're trying to labor. Go find a real midwife who won't say things like policy, procedure, or medical environment. I had a midwife literally storm out of the delivery room because I didnt want to be forced onto my back. I just wanted to be slightly turned to the side. She said the person delivering the baby would be the one calling the shots. I said I completely agree, and that person would be me. She stormed out shouting to get the OB cause she didn't want to deal with me. The title midwife doesn't always mean they're following the midwifery model of care. Go find a midwife that will support you and your choices.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I would run for the hills. Find a birth vented or homebirth midwife. There is no need for pit ugh

hugs girl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Standard procedure doesnt mean required, just means its the norm, you can refuse it.

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Unfortunately, preregistration doesn't cover it all. You'll still have lots of paperwork to sign when you get there. The papers have to be signed and dated the day of your admission. :(

Quoting louzannalady:

I am 28 weeks and already pre-registered online. All I have to do is sign in and pop out a baby (hopefully minutes after arriving!).

Quoting BridgetMc:

There wad no way I could have read the paperwork they were shoving in my face when I was at a nine trying to register and labor all at once. I agree staying home as ling as possible is best but I was signing things blind just to get them out of my face but good news was they didn't have time to suggest any piton because I was ready to deliver when I got there.

Quoting Nee86:

Stay at home as long as possible!

Let's face it, a lot of moms now days run to the hospital at the very first sign if labor. Hospitals are businesses. If the bed is taken by the same person for X amount if days/ hours for one person to naturally labor they are not making as much money as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM
But, it greatly reduces the paperwork you have to do. Besides, when it comes to consent forms, I cross them out with an "x" and tell them I will only sign as I consent, as each one applies. I refuse to sign my name on a form giving consent to any procedure until it is about to be performed. It is one of the best ways to protect yourself from a cascade of interventions. It really worked with my first birth.

Quoting BridgetMc:

Unfortunately, preregistration doesn't cover it all. You'll still have lots of paperwork to sign when you get there. The papers have to be signed and dated the day of your admission. :(

Quoting louzannalady:

I am 28 weeks and already pre-registered online. All I have to do is sign in and pop out a baby (hopefully minutes after arriving!).

Quoting BridgetMc:

There wad no way I could have read the paperwork they were shoving in my face when I was at a nine trying to register and labor all at once. I agree staying home as ling as possible is best but I was signing things blind just to get them out of my face but good news was they didn't have time to suggest any piton because I was ready to deliver when I got there.

Quoting Nee86:

Let's face it, a lot of moms now days run to the hospital at the very first sign if labor. Hospitals are businesses. If the bed is taken by the same person for X amount if days/ hours for one person to naturally labor they are not making as much money as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Pitocin is standard practice at the hospital where I just had my baby. If not for the delivery of the baby, definitely for the placenta. However, several weeks before I was I was in labor I wrote a birth plan that I went over with my OB. In it, I specified that I didn't want any pitocin, even for the delivery of the placenta. She said no problem, went over some situations that could arise where pitocin might be needed (like if blood is spilling out of me) and that was pretty much the end of it. I went on to have a natural labor and delivery without anyone pressuring me into pitocin.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

The hospital I delivered my last baby had you come in a few weeks before delivery to sign all the consent forms. It was for things like an epidural, "emergency" c-section, etc. I signed one saying I had received privacy procedures and one that had something to do with being admitted to the hospital to deliver (it has been a few months, I can't remember the details). I told the guy that I would sign the other papers if the procedures became necessary.

Quoting louzannalady:

But, it greatly reduces the paperwork you have to do. Besides, when it comes to consent forms, I cross them out with an "x" and tell them I will only sign as I consent, as each one applies. I refuse to sign my name on a form giving consent to any procedure until it is about to be performed. It is one of the best ways to protect yourself from a cascade of interventions. It really worked with my first birth.

Quoting BridgetMc:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting BridgetMc:

Quoting Nee86:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN