Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

too young for yogurt?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

how young is too young to feed lowfat yogurt? i've been feeding DS all natural whole milk yogurt mixed with applesauce since he was 10 months old. i'm really ready to b done mixing. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

We started yogurt around 8 months maybe but we don't have dairy allergies in the family. I would only give whole fat yogurt though- babies and toddlers need it for development.

RunningMom81
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

i've given my babies organic yo baby yogurt starting around 7 months and they have done fine - i haven't mixed it with anything - we don't do lowfat stuff just because of all the added junk in low fat foods.  but you could definitely stop mixing it if you wanted.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

sigh ok. when do you think it would be good to switch? when wic switches him to 2% milk?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

We started yogurt around 8 months maybe but we don't have dairy allergies in the family. I would only give whole fat yogurt though- babies and toddlers need it for development.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I'd stick with the whole fat indefinitely, but we don't eat reduced fat foods at all. So it's really up to you.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

sigh ok. when do you think it would be good to switch? when wic switches him to 2% milk?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
This. But if you decide to switch wait until he's at least two years. Kids need whole fat for at least two years, so if you're not breastfeeding make sure you're doing whole fat milk.

The nutrition in reduced and low fat milks can't be absorbed without the fat anyway, they're pretty useless.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Personally I'd stick with the whole fat indefinitely, but we don't eat reduced fat foods at all. So it's really up to you.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Just wanted to share this....

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipYogurt.htm

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Great article!

We give my 10 month old yogurt.  We just started with a small amount, first a taste, then he got a couple spoonfuls now he gets maybe an ounce.  We offer it every once in a while.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM

ok thanks. i dont drink much milk because i dont tolerate it well. but DH does and he has weight issues so i was trying to avoid this in DS. but i will continue to give him the whole yogurt as well as the whole milk. do you think i could convince wic he needs whole milk for another year? he uses milk instead of snacks as if he were still Bf :) 

Quoting jellyphish:

This. But if you decide to switch wait until he's at least two years. Kids need whole fat for at least two years, so if you're not breastfeeding make sure you're doing whole fat milk.

The nutrition in reduced and low fat milks can't be absorbed without the fat anyway, they're pretty useless.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

thanks for the article! that clears a lot up. i never would have thought of the smoothie. i drink protein shakes a lot so maybe he would like a shake like momma (minuse the protein powder) instead of yogurt for breakfast somedays. he is very healthy and attribute a lot of that to the probiotics he gets each morning from yogurt. i would love to make my own yogurt but i just dont have the time right now. i'm a mess. lol

Quoting catholicmamamia:

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

You're welcome.. :o) 

Quoting EthansMomma2010: thanks for the article! that clears a lot up. i never would have thought of the smoothie. i drink protein shakes a lot so maybe he would like a shake like momma (minuse the protein powder) instead of yogurt for breakfast somedays. he is very healthy and attribute a lot of that to the probiotics he gets each morning from yogurt. i would love to make my own yogurt but i just dont have the time right now. i'm a mess. lol
Quoting catholicmamamia:

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN