Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Baby "too big" to have a vaginal birth?

Posted by   + Show Post
A friend at work has a sister who is due on the 26th but he dr said that if she didn't have the baby by the 25th they were gonna induce her!! She's not even going to be at her dd!!! Her Dr said that since the baby is already 7lbs (via ultrasound) that the mother won't be able to give birth vaginally!!!

Why would a mothers body make a baby that's too big to have vaginally?

How can I give info to the mother without being rude?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (51-60):
brid.coop
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I was told, at 36 weeks, that my baby was 6.10 oz at the time from u/s. they said if I got to my due date, let alone over, I would have an almost 9 lb baby. I'm 5'2 and was 104 before I got pregnant. I went 5 days past my due date and had a 7.10 baby. Passed no problem. Ultrasounds are often wrong on guessing size. And position is important on giving birth. Laying on your back, which most doctors make you do, your pelvis won't open as wide as it needs to. Squatting is honestly the best way. And if you're induced, the baby doesn't typically drop because it isn't real labor. There's a reason our bodies go into labor when they're ready. Part of that is to get baby out like it should. And 24 hours seems like a long labor, but I wouldn't jump to c-section from that. A lot can change if you keep letting the labor go. It took 36 hours of natural labor before it was finally time for me to push. C-section was never even suggested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Claughlin
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Send her the ACOG standards where they state that big baby is no reason to induce.
Char07
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM
You keep assuming things... I never claimed to know for certain anything about the circumstance or give a definite outcome, just gave other possibilities which are MORE LIKELY. Yes it is possible baby would not have fit... But it is more likely that baby would have fit given a real chance. But I still stand by the situation you describe as not being any reason for you or her dr to proclaim baby would not have fit.

Quoting SaraSnider:

For one 2hours was a typeo i meant 24 and my sister wasnt laying in bed she was walking ,on a ball, in water for the first 14 hours. So keep thinking u know something when u dont.

Quoting Char07:

Neither you or her dr could say with certainty that the baby was not going to come... There are plenty of reasons why baby may not have descended yet, being forcefully induced, baby in wrong position, mom in bed in poor position, etc. 2 hours of labor and they decided this?!? They likely were not planning a vaginal birth anyways.

Babies can get too big but in a normal healthy pregnancy with a healthy mom with no pelvic deformities it is very rare. Baby not coming out is much more often caused by rushed drs and poor positioning while laboring/pushing.

I was told over 8lbs would be too big for my small frame... My first 2 were 9.10 and 9.12 and my 9.12 baby descended and came out in under 10 minutes.

There is no accurate way for a dr to detect if a baby will be able to be birthed or not... Moms size has no bearing on it as the pelvic bones separate and open to allow baby to pass and without psychic abilities no doctor can tell just how well those pelvic bone will open. If drs were really serious about babies being pushed out efficiently they would stop inducing and encourage laboring women to get up and moving not keep them laying down but they don't..,
Quoting SaraSnider:

So my sister should of continued labor when her baby wouldnt drop after 2 hours of labor? Her baby wasnt going to come on its own because she was to big. Ur not a doctor sorry. And i was induced and gave birth just fine, as did my cousin and my friend. So i know my sister made the right choice. She would of ended up losing her dd due to infection from being in labor so long. Idc if u think u know it all u dont.

Quoting lundaylove:

Im sorry but it sounds like you dont know much about natural birth yourself. Inductions in a first time mother increase the risk of a csection by up to 70%. And a good 90% of those are diagnosed as CPD- basically baby is too big to come out- HOWEVER a very large portion of mothers who have had primary csections due to CPD have gone on to VBAC their following children- and many are 1-2 bigger than the baby that was "too big" to be born vaginally.

Csections SHOULD be refused. There are very few reasons they are actually needed and "baby too big" isnt one of them in the majority of cases. 

Quoting SaraSnider:

No her dd was to big. with out the c-section she was not going to pass. My sister had a great doctor. U can not sit there and say crap u know Nothing about the situation. What are u trying to do make women on here refuse a csection? Hmm sounds like u can cause more problems then good.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sounds like baby was not ready...sounds like failed induction not baby size problem to me. If she had been allowed to go on her own theres a good chance she would ve been able to have him fine!

Quoting SaraSnider:

My sister 4'11 108lb prepregnancy, was 41weeksplus 1day and was induced her dd was 9lb 2oz and would not drop due to her size so yes it can and does happen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

and 24hrs still isnt too long to labor. sure it sucks but it can go on for much longer than that and often does for women.

Quoting SaraSnider:

2hours was a typeo i meant to say 24hours

Quoting lundaylove:

2 hours of labor? or 2 hours of pushing? and ya I may not be a doctor but i am a birth doula and i do know a lot about pregnancy and birth. Plus I have 4 kids of my own so i think i know a lil something. You have a lot to learn hun...

Quoting SaraSnider:

So my sister should of continued labor when her baby wouldnt drop after 2 hours of labor? Her baby wasnt going to come on its own because she was to big. Ur not a doctor sorry. And i was induced and gave birth just fine, as did my cousin and my friend. So i know my sister made the right choice. She would of ended up losing her dd due to infection from being in labor so long. Idc if u think u know it all u dont.

Quoting lundaylove:

Im sorry but it sounds like you dont know much about natural birth yourself. Inductions in a first time mother increase the risk of a csection by up to 70%. And a good 90% of those are diagnosed as CPD- basically baby is too big to come out- HOWEVER a very large portion of mothers who have had primary csections due to CPD have gone on to VBAC their following children- and many are 1-2 bigger than the baby that was "too big" to be born vaginally.

Csections SHOULD be refused. There are very few reasons they are actually needed and "baby too big" isnt one of them in the majority of cases. 

Quoting SaraSnider:

No her dd was to big. with out the c-section she was not going to pass. My sister had a great doctor. U can not sit there and say crap u know Nothing about the situation. What are u trying to do make women on here refuse a csection? Hmm sounds like u can cause more problems then good.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sounds like baby was not ready...sounds like failed induction not baby size problem to me. If she had been allowed to go on her own theres a good chance she would ve been able to have him fine!

Quoting SaraSnider:

My sister 4'11 108lb prepregnancy, was 41weeksplus 1day and was induced her dd was 9lb 2oz and would not drop due to her size so yes it can and does happen.

CLEKate
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM

It is a combo of the size of the baby and the size of the woman that matters.  Plenty of women have no problems birthing a 8 or 9 pound baby---but there are others that are too small for a baby of that size to get out.

pipers_mom
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Dd was 9lbs 9oz, I had no problems and I was even 15 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brid.coop
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Ladies. What will it take everyone to understand. OUR BODIES WILL NOT PRODUCE A BABY TOO BIG TO DELIVER NATURALLY. GOD MADE OUR BODIES THIS WAY FOR A REASON. Doctors don't like to deal with the extra effort it could take. Simple as that. They scare us when it isn't necessary. Doctors are truly terrible when it comes to labor and delivery. Will a bigger baby sometimes take longer to deliver? Yes. Will you most likely have to push in a position other than on your back, which is making gravity go AGAINST you? Yes. But it is possible. No need to be induced which makes your chances of c-section or baby ending up in NICU sky rocket. Trust your body, not a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraSnider
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Right well the point is u were not up inside her and dont know all the details so dont sit there and act like u do. C-section was NEEDED in my sisters case!

Quoting lundaylove:

and 24hrs still isnt too long to labor. sure it sucks but it can go on for much longer than that and often does for women.

Quoting SaraSnider:

2hours was a typeo i meant to say 24hours

Quoting lundaylove:

2 hours of labor? or 2 hours of pushing? and ya I may not be a doctor but i am a birth doula and i do know a lot about pregnancy and birth. Plus I have 4 kids of my own so i think i know a lil something. You have a lot to learn hun...

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraSnider
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
I feel you are vary wrong so go on!

Quoting Char07:

You keep assuming things... I never claimed to know for certain anything about the circumstance or give a definite outcome, just gave other possibilities which are MORE LIKELY. Yes it is possible baby would not have fit... But it is more likely that baby would have fit given a real chance. But I still stand by the situation you describe as not being any reason for you or her dr to proclaim baby would not have fit.

Quoting SaraSnider:

For one 2hours was a typeo i meant 24 and my sister wasnt laying in bed she was walking ,on a ball, in water for the first 14 hours. So keep thinking u know something when u dont.

Quoting Char07:

Neither you or her dr could say with certainty that the baby was not going to come... There are plenty of reasons why baby may not have descended yet, being forcefully induced, baby in wrong position, mom in bed in poor position, etc. 2 hours of labor and they decided this?!? They likely were not planning a vaginal birth anyways.

Babies can get too big but in a normal healthy pregnancy with a healthy mom with no pelvic deformities it is very rare. Baby not coming out is much more often caused by rushed drs and poor positioning while laboring/pushing.

I was told over 8lbs would be too big for my small frame... My first 2 were 9.10 and 9.12 and my 9.12 baby descended and came out in under 10 minutes.

There is no accurate way for a dr to detect if a baby will be able to be birthed or not... Moms size has no bearing on it as the pelvic bones separate and open to allow baby to pass and without psychic abilities no doctor can tell just how well those pelvic bone will open. If drs were really serious about babies being pushed out efficiently they would stop inducing and encourage laboring women to get up and moving not keep them laying down but they don't..,
Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

is there a reason you are so hostile.......

Quoting SaraSnider:

Right well the point is u were not up inside her and dont know all the details so dont sit there and act like u do. C-section was NEEDED in my sisters case!

Quoting lundaylove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)